SOLVED Mouse Properties and Settings

Reaction score
If you go to Control Panel / Mouse, you’ll get a window for Mouse Properties that allows you to specify various settings for your mouse.
This window includes a drop menu with an extensive list of various mice to select from, so you can tailor your settings to your specific mouse.

Here’s the problem……that list of mice includes ONLY Microsoft mice.
Is there any way to expand this list to include Logitech mice?

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
DallasDad! Where in God's green earth have you been? I thought maybe those aliens may have abducted you! LOL!

I am not sure which model of Logitech mouse you use, but does it require or use the Logitech "Setpoint" mouse software?

I have a TrackMan Wheel Wireless and it uses SetPoint.

From the Logitech website:

Advanced features for Logitech mice and keyboards.

In most instances, you can use the advanced features on your Logitech mouse or keyboard with Windows 7. But you need to be running Logitech® SetPoint™ software to do so.

What does SetPoint do? Want to reassign your mouse buttons? Or re-map your keyboard hot keys? SetPoint software can do do the trick.

If you’re using Windows 7 (RC) and you want to use the advanced functionality of your Logitech mouse or keyboard, please make sure you’re running the appropriate version of SetPoint software.

• For most Logitech mice and keyboards, please use Logitech® SetPoint™ software version 4.80.
  • If you’re using the Logitech® G9 Laser Mouse or the Logitech® G9x Laser Mouse, please upgrade to SetPoint version 5.2.
To download Logitech SetPoint software, please follow these steps:

1. Go to www.logitech.com/downloads
  2. Select your mouse, keyboard or keyboard-and-mouse combinations
  3. *Important.* When prompted to select an operating system, choose Windows Vista®
  4. Select whether you have a 32- or 64-bit version of Windows. (Not sure what version you have? Here’s an easy way to find out.)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Yeah Nibs is right, install setpoint for Logitech mice/tracballs.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I installed it (SetPoint) last month when I bought my wireless keyboard (K320). It was easy, and gave you the opportunity to register your product.

Logitech hardware is far superior to OEM, and costs less than ordering stock OEM hardware. And I really like the shortcuts that's added into my keyboard, such as a simple press of a button to take me to my home page. There's Mail, too.

Good Luck with your new mouse.

Cat

Reaction score
Hi nibs! Oh I've been around, just haven't posting lately, but I check the site frequently. Thanks for asking.

Already tried SetPoint, it won't work. :dontknow:

The mouse is a G700 wireless gaming mouse.
I downloaded Setpoint when I first got it home, that's when the problems started. The mouse wouldn't take the settings from Setpoint. I couldn't reassign the buttons, set speed, nothing. The mouse works and performs with default settings but thats all.

Also I double checked to be sure I downloaded the latest SetPoint version for 64 bit also.

I uninstalled Setpoint, then reinstalled, no change. It acts like W7 won't give up control to Setpoint, so I uninstalled it again and I'm just running the mouse without SetPoint.

I can set the pointer speed on W7 control Panel / mouse settings, but nothing else because I can't set it for a Logitech mouse.

Any Ideas?

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
According to the website Setpoint is the driver (See Support ... Downloads).

I don't know what else to tell you except make sure you're trying the latest and if that doesn't work then consider emailing support or scanning their forums for ideas

Last edited:
Reaction score
Did you try rebooting after installing the SetPoint driver?
Uh, no I don't think I did.
I'll have to give that a shot and see what happens.

I suppose the mouse list in the Control Panel provided by W7 is purposely limited to MS mice because MS wants us to buy MS mice ONLY??:lol:

Last edited:
Reaction score
To download Logitech SetPoint software, please follow these steps:

1. Go to www.logitech.com/downloads
  2. Select your mouse, keyboard or keyboard-and-mouse combinations
  3. *Important.* When prompted to select an operating system, choose Windows Vista®
  4. Select whether you have a 32- or 64-bit version of Windows. (Not sure what version you have? Here’s an easy way to find out.)

Choose VISTA?? I have W7 and I chose W7 on the website, I should select Vista instead?

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
No, darn it! Didn't see that at first, LOL! :eek: :eek:

That was a copy and paste from their website.

Naturally you would want to choose Windows 7 64-bit.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
No you don't need Vista, though the truth is it would probably give you the exact same version of Setpoint.

I'm curious, do you have the setpoint icon in the notification tray? If you installed setpoint then you normally get an icon there and if you click on it you should have the setpoint software to adjust/define settings as you like.

Reaction score
OK, I reinstalled SetPoint and rebooted.
I can set the mouse speed, but when I reassign a button, nothing happens, it just stays the same as it was. Tried different buttons and different assignments, it won't accept any changes, except the speed.:dontknow:

Maybe it's just the mouse. Whatever it is, I certainly would not recommend the Logitech G700 Gaming Mouse. The software is supposed to allow you to reassign the buttons, but it won't do it.

Thanks for the help guys, but it looks like I either take it as it is, or take it up with Logitech.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Do you actually have a special tab in the mouse control panel? And if so when you click on it does the mouse control window close and a setpoint window open? In that new setpoint window is there a tab for the mouse? If not then Setpoint is not controlling your mouse, native W7 drivers are.

My logitech tracball is no longer supported and I cannot use setpoint to control it but your mouse is newer I would expect it to be supported.

Reaction score
No you don't need Vista, though the truth is it would probably give you the exact same version of Setpoint.

I'm curious, do you have the setpoint icon in the notification tray? If you installed setpoint then you normally get an icon there and if you click on it you should have the setpoint software to adjust/define settings as you like.
Yes I do. The software appears to be fine and working, until you reassign a button but nothing happens. :lol:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
yeah I would definitely pop off an email support request from the website, they usually get back to you in a couple business days.

Reaction score
Do you actually have a special tab in the mouse control panel? And if so when you click on it does the mouse control window close and a setpoint window open? In that new setpoint window is there a tab for the mouse? If not then Setpoint is not controlling your mouse, native W7 drivers are.

My logitech tracball is no longer supported and I cannot use setpoint to control it but your mouse is newer I would expect it to be supported.
SetPoint has it's own Icon in the Start Menu, and opens in it's own window. It looks perfectly normal and has all the options it's supposed to have for this particular mouse.
But when you reassign a button, nothing happens.

The pointer speed can be controlled either in Setpoint or W7 mouse control panel. Speed control works in both, but it works better in the W7 mouse control panel.

As to your question, yes it has a tab for the mouse.

Reaction score
I took that Logitech mouse back where it came from and bought a Microsoft Sidewinder X8 wireless mouse. Nice mouse, and it WORKS!!:D

Ask a Question