mouse freezing up

Reaction score
it dont matter what i am doing my mouse will freeze up wont click on anything until i lock the computer then unlock it i have tried every usb port in my computer even tried other mice but to no affect. it gets really anoying when it does it every 5 seconds i cant stand it anymore. if there is any sugestions i would love the help. i have even put in a new hard drive and of coase reformatted the computer. it started doing as soon and sometimes before the format was finished. the only driver that is not instaled is the coprocessor.

Reaction score
i can move my mouse around the screen it just wont click on anything

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
shenaya, welcome to the forum!

Do you have any other devices that's plugged into any of your USB ports, and are there any problems with these? If you've tried other known good mice, then the mouse itself may not be the problem.

It sounds as though you have a problem with your ports. You can open up the device manager (type "device manager" w/o the quotes in the Start Menu) and see your ports listed. You can right click onto each one and check for updates & properties.

Checking the ports would be a good starting point.

Best of Luck,
Cat

Reaction score
i have 2 other things in my ports external hardrive and webcam but they have never messed up but i will try the update drivers

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
It may also be in the mouse settings itself, but I don't really know much about adjusting it. As I'm typing, I'm having mouse problems of my own, I'm waiting for my replacement to be shipped.

Hopefully another member will see this thread & offer some suggestions. I'm sure that it's probably a simple deal here, it just needs to be identified.

Hang in there!

Cat

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
What brand and model of mouse do you have? Sounds like it may be shorting out internally.

Try and give us as much info as possible please. It's hard to diagnose a problem if we don't know exactly what your hardware is and exactly whats going on.

Reaction score
processor: amd athlon (tm) 64 x2 dual core process or 5000+ 2.60 GHz
ram: 4.00 GB (3.25 GB usable)
system type: 32-bit operating system

windows 7 home premium

NVIDEA GeForce 9400 GT

GE mouse $20

like i said i have tried other mice and it does the same thing. it works when it wants some times for a few hours sometimes for 5 seconds. it will click on its own. still able to move the mouse around but unable to click on anything. logging out and back in temporarily fixes it, like i said for 5 seconds to maby a couple of hours.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Have you checked in the Device Manager to ensure that USB 2.0 drivers are properly loaded for all available ports? Sometimes that helps.

If you have tried using other mice, than the problem is not with the mice themselves but with the motherboard's USB connections or drivers.

I don't believe the missing coprocessor drive is the issue here but I could be wrong.

Your motherboard could be aged and the capacitors may have bulges in them which means that they're defective. Get a flashlight look at them closely to see if any have bulging tops or have leaked.

Here's an example:

Notice that some of these have bulging tops where the X cross is on the top of the capacitor, there are a few also showing flat tops, which is normal.

Bad bugling capacitors can cause a multitude of problems, and if the electrolyte leaked (brown liquid) it can corrode and short the connections or eat them away completely.

If you find even one, that may be the cause for all your issues. I know it happened to several computers I have repaired and replaced the motherboards on where the same thing or similar was happening such as what you're experiencing.

Reaction score
just checked and non of them are bulged and the whole computer was home biult 4 1/2 years ago

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
There are at least two possibilities ...
1)hardware problem. I had a trackball that had a bad wire and was disconnecting & reconnecting as the wire would twist. The way I found this out was by applying a sound event to device connect & disconnect. You may want to try that.

2)software. Periodically, about every 15 minutes, my mouse would seem to stall/studder. This was caused while my DNS table was refreshed because I have a huge hosts file. I detected this by using Process Explorer (a better version of Task Manager) and I noticed the network activity that was hogging my processor. I resolved the issue using a tool called HostsMan(ager) to sort the hosts file and to remove duplicates. Process Explorer may help you pinpoint if it is is your processor being bogged down but unless you maintain a huge hosts file (most general users don't) then the rest of my solution won't likely help you.

Both Process Explorer & HostsMan are available in our Freeware DB

Last edited:
Reaction score
the sound works just fine i hear when stuff gets plugged in or out. the process manager and hostmna i downloaded on the process manager i get a huge red spike one= it once in a while and i dont know from what but i cant figure out how to work the hostman

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you have sound events on hardware dis/connect and you do not here them then your mouse is not loosing contact so I don't suspect your mouse hardware.

As for the hosts file, unless you maintain a huge hosts file, which most people don't, then this would not be your issue. If you don't know what a hosts file is then this isn't your issue, so hostsman is not for you. The part of that I did recommend is that you keep process explorer open on part of your screen and when your mouse lags quickly glance over at the process explorer window and see what is using CPU cycles, this may point you to a program or system process that is "bogging down" your computer.

Reaction score
most of the time world of warcraft is being played but i will keep it open and then glance at what is spiking.

Reaction score
NvXDSync.exe was the thing that had spiked when the mouse quit. farums say its somethinf new that nvidea put in

Ask a Question