SOLVED Mouse doesn't want to scroll bookmarks in Internet Explorer 64 bit

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Katmouse doesn't provide the scrolling of favorites in IE9, because I have that and it doesn't work, so no point in you trying that; I, on the other hand, may try WizMouse :)

I thought YOU were saying WizMouse doesn't provide scrolling of favorites in IE9 because I thought that was the point of this thread ... "I'm finding scrolling through the Bookmarks {Favorites} with this Logitech MX Mouse not working totally well". But now you say with a different mouse driver + WizMouse that now it works 110% so can we mark this as solved? And I have Editted my post above to say WizMouse might help.

Scrolling is controlled by mouse driver settings and it sounds like with a new driver/mouse software that you have gotten the control you need.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Sorry about the confusion that I hurled into this thread. I'm still astounded as to why Microsoft hasn't fixed this glitch but hey, look at what they do with Outlook! They refuse to fix the solid line to the left in replies. I mentioned that years back to them and asked them why not do it like Eudora, but they said at that time they did not intend to mend that. And they have kept their word!!!
Even though this thread will be closed, why not let me know how you do with Wizmouse.
Thanks again for your excellent helps!!!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The thread isn't closed but I did mark it Solved because it sounds like you are working now.

I did download the newest Wizmouse (1.6.0.2) and I will likely try it tomorrow just to see if it adds that functionality to my IE. I don't use IE that often but if WizMouse adds functionality my other doesn't then I'll keep it.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well I went ahead and installed WizMouse and it made absolutely no difference to my IE9 Favorites; mine still will not scroll via my (very old style) trackball scroll wheel (and FireFox still will) so it doesn't visibly seem to do anything different (for me) over KatMouse but ...

I do notice in the settings that it will reestablish connection if it is lost and I have noticed with KatMouse in the past that sometimes after days of my computer not being rebooted that I will sometimes have to kill and restart KatMouse to get it to function right. So I will let it run a while and see if I loose it's functionality like I occasionally do with KatMouse.

As for why it works in IE9 for you, I suspect the mouse driver also has some contribution but I don't know.

Reaction score
Weird and wonderful !!! I'm not sure if it was on this forum or another, but someone told me about that eons ago and it immediately worked. I've used Chrome steadily for the last couple years but for whatever reason, flipped over to IE9. And of course, I ran into that same problem again because I had uninstalled Wizmouse. After reinstalling it, there's no problem.

I was thinking it must be something here on this end but the fact it doesn't work for you either, says something is off the rails with the program itself. Anyway, we'll stay tuned to a computer near us and see what happens with that particular snag. :)

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I did some research. I just made my menus so long that they had to scroll in both FireFox and in IE9 and in Firefox my scroll-wheel does work and in IE9 it does not (even with KatMouse installed).
Odd, when I click on the Favorite's Star, if my list of Favorites is collapsed and all fit in the window, no scrolling as expected. But if I open a subfolder of Favorites (I have 100s), my scroll wheel works fine (IE9 - no mouse add-ons).

(I still call them Bookmarks)
You really should not now that you know different. Why? As it is with any technology, using the correct terminology speeds communications and understanding. While Favorites and Bookmarks are essentially the same thing (Internet shortcuts), they are managed a bit differently, depending on your browser. And more important to THIS discussion, they are stored in different locations, again, depending on the browser.

AND you can access that list of favorites by different methods - for example through IE "Favorites" menu, or as I do frequently, directly via Windows Explorer. And it is this second method where I did not want any confusion caused by calling the folder the Bookmarks folder - when there really is no such thing!

It should also be noted that Microsoft Word uses "Bookmarks". So when seeking help, it is alway better (for ALL involved) to use the proper terminology, when it is known.

was thinking it must be something here on this end but the fact it doesn't work for you either, says something is off the rails with the program itself.
I am quite sure it is on your end. As I noted, scrolling works great here, on the 3 Windows 7 machines I checked.

As for Outlook, (1) I don't see those lines using Outlook 2007, and (2) a design feature is not the same as a bug so they are not going change it, if it is not broke. I suspect if you change your email format default to plain or rich text (not HTML) your line will be gone.

Reaction score
[SOLVED] Mouse doesn't want to scroll bookmarks in Internet Explorer 64 bit

Digerati, the first thing I have to do here is apologize to you for not clueing in to what you were asking me initially. When you asked about the Bookmarks, I was understanding you to say "where is IE9 storing the Bookmarks" --- obviously I was not reading you correctly. I actually I wasn't paying msuch attention to the terminology used here in IE9 (Favorites vs Bookmarks). So again, I'm sorry for the confusion I was creating in this thread.

Furthermore, as you say, there must be something on or in this system that is conflicting with IE9 (and previously IE8) to not even allow the collapsed Favorites to scroll properly, that is, apart from Wizmouse.

As to the Outlook, I like what Eudora uses - should you write me, then in my reply to you, there is usually the solid line to the left of what you have written but I can break that line should I want to respond to various parts of your e-mail and leave what you said in the conversation to make more sense in the communication.

I realize I can set it so there might be the > before each line but then again, some e-mails I receive have nothing before the sentences, so it leaves one to make there own distinction within that e-mail. But as you know, Microsoft is not going to change that - as you say, if it isn't broke, well they're not going to *fix* it --- I'd like to think of it as "changing" it. I'm sure it would be no big project on their part. But whatever, that's another story that won't be solved today.

Again, I appreciate your patience in this whole discussion. I wonder how many pencils you broke on your desk trying to get through to me regarding this whole thing???!!! :)

All the best Digerati. Your efforts have been more than appreciated!!!

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
No problem. Thanks for your understanding.

Ask a Question