More freezing!

BetaMan

Official G33k
Reaction score
Upon startup or seconds after full boot, Windows 7 just goes unresponsive then totally freezes right down to the cursor. This isn't the first time it's happened. On my first installation it happened and I didn't think to come on here to ask, so I re-installed, fresh download and everything. I have already tried resetting my CMOS, using startup repair, and booting into safe mode. Please HELP! I doesn't like Windows XP!!!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Which build are you using Betaman, and does it happen in safe mode too?

BetaMan

Official G33k
Reaction score
I'll try safe mode again but I have build 7000. Sorry for the late reply.

Reaction score
I have the same problems as listed above.

Everyday my computer completely freezes for hours on end. I have been able to narrow it down to being related to the kernel-power events in the Event Viewer as each time I have to hard reboot the system there is a new entry under this section. I have also tried all the power settings possible to alleviate the problems but have had no success.

I have attached the picture of my Event Viewer with all of the kernel-power incidents listed, each of which lead to a completely frozen computer; 22 in total, which in reality, would be higher due to the fact that much of the time it remains frozen for hours in which time a reboot would only lead to another freeze. I have seen it as bad a 5 or so freezes within about a 2-3 hour period; VERY annoying.

Windows7 Build 7000
AMD Turion X2 Ultra
ATI Radeon HD 3650
(you probably don't need the last two lines though)

Reaction score
Atheros AR5B91 Wireless Network Adapter

I assume this would be the only necessary one because I only connect through the wireless network. I have, however always been missing the modem drivers for a device as shown in the picture. Figured I would never use a Modem device so I didn't fool with it after the first 5 or 6 drivers wouldn't rectify it.

Researching a little more into the issue, I believe that it may not be a Power issue after all. The kernel-events seem to be in response to the hard reset and not the cause of the freezing.

Some searching seems to bring up a few issues with other Acer products and I was curious to know if the OP was using an Acer as well?

Reaction score
During my time with build 7000, I would frequently get complete system freezes out of the blue. Sometimes it was 5 minutes in, sometimes it was one hour in, but without fail every time I booted Windows 7 I would encounter a hard lock.

The problem? Dodgy wifi drivers. The minute I swapped them out for another set, my problems went away, and it has been smooth sailing ever since. I can't say that this is your problem, but I may be able to point you in the direction of some newer Atheros drivers.

Dig your G1.

Reaction score
At this point I would really be willing to try anything to fix the problem although I would really like to avoid a complete reinstall. I'll Google for some and see if I can find the drivers but if you could point me to the ones that you are using it would be great too.

In a few of my Event Viewer logs I did find some DHCP Warnings that I would assume were near the time of freeze up, but I didn't figure that could be the cause.

Its nice to have a physical keypad on your phone when you need to post a long winded reply to a support forum at the time you are running Memtest86+ on your computer. I love my G1!

UPDATE: Memtest finished and of course it found nothing wrong with the memory. I followed your advice and looked for driver updates by searching Google, but it didn't find any from either Acer or Atheros website and I'm just a little weary of downloading driver from just any website. So I went into device manager and tried just right clicking Update Driver. Lo and behold it found one and installed it.

Almost time for work now so I'm going to reboot to make sure new drivers take effect and leave the computer up which would normally certainly freeze it by the time I made it back home. Hopefully, this time I can return to a still fully functional computer!

Last edited:

BetaMan

Official G33k
Reaction score
I have a belkin my essentials crappy little g thing. I would update it, but there isn't enough time when I boot before it freezes. :(

Reaction score
So i come home for the first time since i've loaded Windows 7 on this computer to an un-frozen computer!

I believe the wireless driver update did the trick after. While I was messing around though I did also adjust the battery in the laptop. It seems to have a latch that can sometimes not catch completely. For my money, I'm betting the wireless drivers were what were causing the problem though.

A thousand thanks to you Thrax! Hopefully I won't need to, but should this just be a lucky break in the freezing, I'll post here again.

BetaMan you might try the battery thing, but I wouldn't hold my breath...

BetaMan

Official G33k
Reaction score
Please? Is there anyone who knows of anything I could do? I really hate XP and I don't want to reinstall! I am offering a thanks (the button) and a super special awesome new signature picture! :)

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
The RC is out in a few days time, so if you don't have it already you could use that and see if the problem is sorted :)

BetaMan

Official G33k
Reaction score
The RC is out in a few days time, so if you don't have it already you could use that and see if the problem is sorted :)
Yeah, but I'd still have to reformat :(. I can't do anything on my 7 partition because I only have like 10 seconds or less before it freezes.

Reaction score
You can do an upgrade install using the Release Candidate. It isn't recommended, but you can do it if you want (you need to modify an INI file).

Reaction score

BetaMan

Official G33k
Reaction score
There's instructions on how to edit the ini file from the RC here:

http://www.blogsdna.com/3083/how-to-upgrade-windows-7-beta-build-7000-to-windows-7-rc-build-7100.htm

You will need to do this on another PC and try booting from a re-burned version with the updated ini file. You should then be able to do an upgrade, which might work. If not, just try a clean RC install.
So I actually boot from it? Ok. Will this work on a dual-booted OS? (I'm on my XP partition right now.)

Reaction score
So I actually boot from it? Ok. Will this work on a dual-booted OS? (I'm on my XP partition right now.)
I just assumed you would be able to boot from it to do an upgrade install, but I've normally run it from within the OS (which you can't do). Give it a go and see if you are provided with that option, as I don't know for certain if it can be done that way.

Good luck!

BetaMan

Official G33k
Reaction score
Alright. I can't wait 'til it's released! I'm SO tired of Windows XP!!!! :(

Ask a Question