mobo temps

Reaction score
I've been using different software to see and figure out what temp goes to what senor and to what piece of hardware. And for the most part I seem to have it figured out. That is until I used AIDA64 Extreme, and in using it there is a temp related to mobo called MCP. I've never seen/heard this one before and it's temp is between 60*C to 65*C. I've done some googling and it seems to refers to NB and its heat sink but I've found nothing specific to my mobo.

Is this temp ok at it's current value or should I be worried.

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
It's a little on the warm side in my opinion, but it's not unusual for a chipset temperature. I see you have an NVIDIA chipset... those actually do run towards the hot side, so in that case I wouldn't worry about it.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Looks fine to me too BF. As Kougar stated, the nVidia chipsets do run hotter than AMD or Intel chipsets.

My Intel chipset runs 10 C hotter than my CPU does, around 42-43 C while the CPU is a 32-33 C.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I've been using different software to see and figure out what temp goes to what senor and to what piece of hardware.
Matching labels to sensor has been a problem for years. I like SpeedFan for example, but it is common for it to mismatch the labels and sensor. I usually recommend Everest to verify what goes where.

However, most motherboard makers also include a HW monitoring program on the utilities disk that comes with the motherboard (or available at the motherboard maker's website) and they tend, as you would expect from the maker, to match them up right.

MCP. I've never seen/heard this one before
MCP is the Southbridge portion of the chipset, not Northbridge (sometimes referred to as SPP).

Those temps are not overly high, but I would prefer to see them a bit lower. Besides the obvious of keeping the interior clean of dust, you need to make sure you have lots of unrestricted, front-to-back air flow through the case. I prefer at least two case fans, one in front drawing cool air in, and one in back (in addition to the PSU fan) exhausting hot air out.

Check your case's fan support. If it allows more or larger case fans, consider installing them. And note cable management is crucial to minimize impacting that desired flow.

Reaction score
Thanks Dig...I have that exact case fan setup...2 X 120mm plus PSU's 80mm. Everest...aka the New AIDA64 Extreme (trial version) is what caught my attention to the MCP sensor. I'm working on a fan mod with some modders mesh and a 40mm x 40mm fan to install on that chipset, waiting on parts.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I don't replace those 40mm fans anymore. For one, they typically are hard to find, but also, it seems within a year or two, they go bad again. So instead, I just remove the fan and ensure I have good flow through the case, and I keep an eye on my temps. In some cases, I have replaced the heatsink with a larger one, one designed for passive (no fan) use. I have done this a dozen or so times, so far with no problems.

Ask a Question