Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint

Reaction score
Hi guys.
I have a small problem with installing Microsoft Office Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
I download it, install and when I double click on them it opens normally.
Then I want to write something and I can't find a tool for ''New''.
Same problem in Excel and PowerPoint, it gives me a location to find a document on HDD to open it in Word,Excel and PowerPoint I assume.
First I downloaded the Update from Microsoft's site so I can use those programs.
Think the problem is that I download Viewer's for following programs.
But, what do I know. I'm new to W7, had a not genuine OS XP.

Please help,
Thank you

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
You dont say which version of Office you are using. But the two most recent. open on a blank page. Or. Click File - New

Reaction score
Nope, That is not working.
As I said I don't have those functions. :(
Version 2007

Reaction score
You most likely have Office 2007 and the menus are a mess. I use Classic Menu for Office which puts back the old menus just so I can navigate. I think you'll find the commands you need if you click on the orb on the upper left.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
You most likely have Office 2007 and the menus are a mess. I use Classic Menu for Office which puts back the old menus just so I can navigate. I think you'll find the commands you need if you click on the orb on the upper left.
If he does have Office 2007, then the first entry in the orb is "new"...

The easiest way to make a new document is:
Ctrl + N

Cheers,
Fire Cat

Reaction score
I was also lost in Office 2007 because of the Ribbon interface. I installed a free office 2007 classic menus application and problem solved. I cannot for the love of me understand why MS has gone the way of the MAC. At the least MS should give us the option of classic menus. Otherwise W7 is great!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. I think it must be this. I may give it a try.

Reaction score
Hi guys.
I have a small problem with installing Microsoft Office Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
I download it, install and when I double click on them it opens normally.
Then I want to write something and I can't find a tool for ''New''.
Same problem in Excel and PowerPoint, it gives me a location to find a document on HDD to open it in Word,Excel and PowerPoint I assume.
First I downloaded the Update from Microsoft's site so I can use those programs.
Think the problem is that I download Viewer's for following programs.
But, what do I know. I'm new to W7, had a not genuine OS XP.

Please help,
Thank you
As it's been mentioned arleady, Ctrl + N will get you a new document or spreadsheet. If that doesn't work, then it's very possible you have just the viewer only and not the actual application itself. Click on the help/about menu -- it should display the name of the actual program & the version number.

There's been much talk on the internet about the new ribbon interface. I know it's a big adjustment for some and personally speaking, it was quite an adjustment for myself as well. However, it will behoove Office users to get used to it. Microsoft has spent a considerable amount of time & money developing the Ribbon and they've already begun incorporating the ribbon style into their other software programs (including those applets that come with Windows 7). In another words, the ribbon is not going anywhere. One little useful addon (directly available from Microsoft) is the search command utility. It will make those classic menu software hacks unnecessary - it's very easy to use and it's very effective in displaying results pertinent to the keywords you enter. It's sort of like a 'google' for Office 2007.

I wish I had known about it sooner because it would have made my own transition to 2007 much easier.

http://officelabs.com/projects/searchcommands/Pages/default.aspx

Last edited:
Reaction score
Guides to the Ribbon: Use Office 2003 menus to learn the Office 2007 user interface
Wondering where your favorite Office 2003 commands are located in the new 2007 Office system interface? You're in the right place.
  • If you want to explore the rich, new design with some guidance, try the interactive guides to help you quickly learn where things are. You can run the guides right here, or you can download them to your own computer for use any time you like.
  • If you prefer to see just a list of all Office 2003 menu and toolbar commands and their locations in the 2007 Office system, open one of the Microsoft Office Excel mapping workbooks, which you can browse, customize, print, and save on your computer. Instructions on the first tab of each workbook provide tips for customizing, finding, and printing the lists.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
it will behoove Office users to get used to [the ribbon]
I think as Microsoft decides more and more that users will accept Microsoft's way or else that it will stimulate our economy. Because more and more third party solutions and add-ons will appear to satisfy the wants and needs of users Microsoft has decided to neglect.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think as Microsoft decides more and more that users will accept Microsoft's way or else that it will stimulate our economy.
I don't follow. How are freeware addons stimulating the economy??

Because more and more third party solutions and add-ons will appear to satisfy the wants and needs of users Microsoft has decided to neglect.
In the past, I would agree that MS has done a very poor job in listening to their users and accommodating their needs/wants. But in this case, I would have to disagree with you. MS has spent a considerable amount of time & research into developing the ribbon including a whole slew of measures from study groups and tracking eye movements of users when they want to search for something.

One of their primary goals when developing the new ribbon was to make esoteric features more accessible to regular users of Office. So in this regard, I think they've done a good job of making Office more user friendly. Of course that viewpoint is quite debatable depending on the type of user you are and your experience with MS Office. Strangely enough, they found out that the transition to the ribbon was the most difficult for power user category compared to new or novice users. At any rate, as Office continues to grow in features and complexity, the Ribbon will prevail because the top-level down menu system is dead (Atleast for MS office package). As much as I hated it at first, I'm very much used to the ribbon - as the borgs used to say "resistance is futile". :D

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Not all programs or add-ons are free and even free products are often developed in a paid software development environment.

And Microsoft is more than welcome to offer new options to possibly please new users but when they forget or refuse to give users a choice then someone else will.

Reaction score
Not all programs or add-ons are free and even free products are often developed in a paid software development environment.
I was speaking specifically in terms of the freeware you linked to in your previous post that hacks the UI ribbon. I fail to see how downloading that little utility (IMHO) does anything to stimulate the economy.

And Microsoft is more than welcome to offer new options to possibly please new users but when they forget or refuse to give users a choice then someone else will.
Sure - there is a lid for every pot isn't there? And that goes for just about any software.

Seems like you're looking at it as some type of action where MS is acting like a dictator. "My way of the highway" .... Sure I can agree that MS doesn't have a great track record in listening to their customers. I conceded as much in my previous post. I choose to look at it as a new opportunity to learn MS more in depth. I will give you an example. As an office user for nearly 2 decades, I've shyed away from using the pivot table in Excel. Recently, I had to participate in a project where the pivot table came in very handy and I WOULD NOT have had any motivation to learn it had it not been for the ribbon. The ribbon made it easy to learn and use it. Contrast with my previous experience in 2003.... a world apart.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Tushman,
Well here is the problem with your logic flow then because you quoted ME "I think as Microsoft decides more and more that users will accept Microsoft's way or else that it will stimulate our economy." and asked ME the question "How are freeware add-ons stimulating the economy??" and I answered that I wasn't necessarily referring to freeware and that even freeware is often developed in a paid environment. So you can't now change my statement to meet your narrow thinking "in terms of the freeware linked to in [my] previous post" and then go on to claim I am wrong.

So this works fine if YOU offer it as a statement on it's own "I fail to see how downloading that little utility (IMHO) does anything to stimulate the economy" but don't put it under a quote of mine and try to twist my statement into me having said it would.

My statement is much more broad and, so that it is perfectly clear to you, I will reiterate it. Microsoft's narrow view of what we the customer want will stimulate the economy; some little freeware utility, not so much. Only time will tell, but I hope Microsoft is never anyone's only choice.

You enjoy your ribbon if you so choose, I'll use a menu or a ribbon or lotus 1-2-3 or open office or whatever suits me.

:withstupid:If you still don't understand me, ask someone else because this is my last post to you in this thread.

Reaction score
Tushman,

You enjoy your ribbon if you so choose, I'll use a menu or a ribbon or lotus 1-2-3 or open office or whatever suits me.

:withstupid:If you still don't understand me, ask someone else because this is my last post to you in this thread.
Trainable Man,
There is no need to get tizzy frizzy - I think it is a case of a simple misunderstanding. No one is putting words in your mouth so you can relax. If you felt that I was doing so, it was purely unintentional. I was simply trying my best to decrypt your vaguely worded statement here:

I think as Microsoft decides more and more that users will accept Microsoft's way or else that it will stimulate our economy.
When I first read that, I thought to myself what in the world does that mean? I thought you were saying that the freeware (to hack the ribbon) available from CNET's website stimulates the economy. Apparently that is not the case.

You can't possibly please everybody. Surely there's always a segment of office users who don't like the ribbon. Just because you personally don't have an affinity for the ribbon doesn't mean MS is a bully or is a dictator.

And PLEASE do not invite me to ask other members what they understand of your post or their interpretation. It is a waste of my time. You did make the statement didn't you? - it's upto you to clarify it if you choose. I'm not asking other members to clarify it for me.

I also think that this is a little bit ridiculous how this thread has degraded. I fail to see how I offended you to such a great degree that you would walk off in such a huff. You linked to a freeware download to hack the ribbon interface. I posted to thread because I was merely trying to help you out or atleast add some more information others who might be reading this thread that the search utility (available from MS) is a good alternative and/or useful for people who are trying to make the transition to office 2007.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Also download the free CLASSIC SHELL. This is an excellent application that is updated occasionally and gives you classic menus! The link you give is for a very good application. However after a month it asks you to register (for a fee). There are other totally free classic menus for Office. I do not know what will happen if you continue to ignore the message for registration.
Enjoy!

Reaction score
You can't possibly please everybody. Surely there's always a segment of office users who don't like the ribbon. Just because you personally don't have an affinity for the ribbon doesn't mean MS is a bully or is a dictator
Many people find using the Ribbon interface as very inconvenient. Personally I hate it! MS cannot please everybody but they can and should give us the choice of classic menus. After all this planet has graciously allowed MS to continue to do business as a MONOPOLY! We allow MS to reap monopoly profits and MS gives us a choice! Now that's not hard to understand is it?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Tanzanos,
I tried Classic Shell and it wouldn't let me customize it like I always set up my XP classic so I just use the "new" version (that really isn't new, it came out with XP I just never used it)..

Microsoft's OS is almost a monopoly at over 85% of the market but I wouldn't say that is the case on their software. There are so many choices out there.

If you find a link to the FREE office 2007 banner replacement please post the link.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think using the ribbon is fine for casual users, I've adapted to it ok but like someone mentioned earlier hard core office users may not like it as much. Not needing any of the Office programs very much I can get by with pretty much any version.
I don't like how they make it less backward compatible for files written on earlier versions. You can work around it but it's still a bit inconsiderate of them.

Ask a Question