SOLVED Microsoft released a new tool today to fight against malware

Reaction score
Microsoft released a new tool today to create a bootable CD/DVD/Flash Drive to scan for malware before Windows starts up. It's called Microsoft Standalone System Sweeper beta. I've attached a link and the zipped files for both 32 bit and 64 bit. After you unzip them, put whatever media in that you're going to use. This file just downloads the files to make the bootable media. The download is around 213 mb's. Here's Microsoft's link for the tool. http://connect.microsoft.com/systemsweeper

Attachments

Last edited:

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
That looks interesting Kieth, thank you.
I'll give it a look when I have a chance.

Reaction score
I tried it on my pc, so it works on Windows 7 x64. I guess MS need's to update there compatibility list for it. It's basically a bootable version of MSE, but it's doesn't look as snazzy as MSE 2.0 with the black & white stripes. It looks more like the original MSE. Make sure you click the down arrow, next to the question mark and let it update the definitions before running it. Those 2 files I uploaded, just start the process of it downloading/creating the bootable disk for it to run. It took aroung 15 minutes for the 213 mb. download with my slow-as-molasses dsl. It took the same amount of time scanning my pc, as MSE does. They should just call it MSE bootable. I found about it from AskVG's feed earlier today.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I bookmarked this, in case I need it. If I need it for one computer, I can download it from the other. If I were to download & burn it now, it may be way outdated by the time I need it.

Thanks a lot brkkab, this tool may help many.

Cat

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
There are a few other links on that page for rescue discs as well. I have the Kaspersky one, as well as a small program from them that scans for rootkits (it takes less than a minute to scan).

Here that is:

http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208283363

I run that about every 2 weeks or so.

There's a lot of useful security tools on the net for free, so many that there's really no excuse not to have some sort of rescue tool, and a AV/IS suite too.

Unfortunately, there's still many computer users who doesn't really take security seriously. Some may have one installed, and have it do a scheduled scan once a week or month, and that's it. Just last week, my next door neighbor (the one who shares her internet connection) had several infections, and I cleaned it up with the ESET Online Scanner. Had it needed it, I would've broke out that Kaspersky disc and ran that, I had it with me, but didn't need it.

I have a feeling that sharing her router with the neighborhood played some part with her issues. She's in her 90's now, and just uses her PC to check her email and the weather. But she gets a lot of popup ads that's adult oriented. That's unusual for someone who doesn't frequent those sites.

Like you, I always reformat before reinstalls, and I don't mean that quick format that Windows 7 does, I use a tool like Mini Tool Partition Wizard Home Edition, and fill the space with zeros, using the slow method.

Cat

Reaction score
I've got Norton's and Kaspersky's. It's weird apparently if you subscribe to Tweaking With Vishal's feed in Feed Demon, you get the same information. Except you get it a day sooner. That tool was listed in the email I got from his site today.

Reaction score
I know what you mean Cat. I fixed a friend's pc last summer. She had XP and roughly 180+ infection's. I had to show her how to updat Windows, run checkdisk/disk defragmenter and how to use & update the av I installed for her. Her pc took about 6 hours to get running properly. She didn't even know XP SP3 was out. Installed that for her too.At the time I had started using NIS 2010, so I let her use what was left of my PC Tool Internet Security. Haven't heard of her having any pc issue's since that day. Considering she's my brother's sister-in-law, I can be positive of that.

Ask a Question