Microsoft has just released an on-demand anti-malware scanner

Reaction score
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/micro...ft-safety-scanner-an-on-demand-antivirus-tool
Download Scanner at
http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx

Microsoft has just released an on-demand anti-malware scanner called as The Microsoft Safety Scanner. MSS is a free downloadable security tool for the Windows user and provides on-demand scanning and helps remove viruses, spyware, and other malicious software.

The Microsoft Safety Scanner, expires 10 days after being downloaded. To rerun a scan with the latest anti-malware definitions, download and run the Microsoft Safety Scanner again. Do note that its not exactly a small file … its msert.exe file is a 68 MB download!

The MSS is different from the Malicious Software Removal Tool – nor is it meant to be a replacement for using an antivirus software program that provides ongoing protection. It is meant to be used as an additional on-demand scanner in addition to your existing antivirus software, should you feel the need for a second opinion. It works along with your existing antivirus software

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
This must have took the place of the Windows Live Satety Scanner (formerly called OneCare Scanner). It looks promising. Hopefully it'll be as good, that was one of my favorite apps when I was a XP User.

The WL Safety Scanner went a bit further than most, it showed a report upon completion, letting the user know if there were excessive (junk) files on the HDD, if it needed defragging, any open ports, and a registry cleaner (a safe one).

It's probably based somewhat on MSE, they've been doing better in recent months, especially with version 2.0. Although I have a paid AV, I'll give this a try.

If it's like WL Safety Scanner at all, it'll run better using IE.

Cat

Ask a Question