Looking for audio control software...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the correct place or not, but I need help.

I am looking for software that will allow me to control which program's audio goes to which speaker/headphones.

For example, I want to be able to have music playing through speakers, and have another programs audio playing through headphones(or something of the sort).

I haven't been able to find anything along those lines, or even know what do search for.

Anyone know anything that will help me with this?

UPDATE:
I now have it so that I can have all the audio on my computer playing through two separate devices, through coping all the audio from one of my devices by "sacrificing" my microphone jack (which I don't have so its all good).

I just can't find any way to edit the individual sounds from programs on the secondary device.

I still don't know if it is possible, but it seems like a step in the right direction....

Also, it was mentioned that I might need to get a audio card to do this, Does anyone know which audio card would work the best for this. I am not incredibly picky about the audio quality, I don't use surround sound or anything, I just want to be able to split my audio streams, so... any ideas?

Last edited:
Reaction score
HI zero - Welcome to w7forums

I'm not saying software does not exist, however I'm not aware of any software that will split audio channels in that manner. :(

Reaction score
That's what I'm afraid of, I have a roommate and two screens, so I put up a movie or something on my secondary screen (i'm using a LCD tv). I want to be able to play games on my main screen, using headphones so that it doesn't interfere with the movie.

Probably won't end up finding something to fix it, but it would be nice to tweak my system more to my liking.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
That's what I'm afraid of, I have a roommate and two screens, so I put up a movie or something on my secondary screen (i'm using a LCD tv). I want to be able to play games on my main screen, using headphones so that it doesn't interfere with the movie.

Probably won't end up finding something to fix it, but it would be nice to tweak my system more to my liking.
Wait a second, you want to watch a movie and play games at the same time on one computer? I'm not sure that's possible. Normally games take the full screen, and the second one as well. So I'm not sure your going to manage getting the movie to stay on front.
And, the software you would need is something that takes sound from a specific application, and assign it to one of the audio outputs, and I really don't think that is possible!

Sorry,
Fire Cat

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Never heard of such a program. If there was one available you would definitely need two sound cards and probably two video cards.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Windows can't do this natively, I don't think. Take a look at Virtual Audio Cable and see if it meets your needs.

Reaction score
Nice one Core!
Though, I don't know how he is going to play games and watch movies on a computer at the same.
I have it so that the movie will not exit full screen even when it isn't the active screen. And I can open up my game on another computer screen, everything works fine, I just need to split the audio somehow, I'm looking it to the virtual audio cable thing right now.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Windows can't do this natively, I don't think. Take a look at Virtual Audio Cable and see if it meets your needs.
That looks like a good tool to have, but its not what I am looking for:

"If more than one applications are sending audio to Virtual Cable device, VAC mixes all streams together"

I am looking for something that will allow me to split the audio streams between audio devices on my computer.

Hmmmm, maybe I can find a way to make one-not really experienced at programming, but who knows. I'm still looking for this though, so if anyone knows of anything, let me know.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Wait a sec!
I don't understand what you want to do.
I can open up my game on another computer
I thought you had one computer with two screens, and that you wanted one to watch a movie and the other for games?
Now you have two computers and no problems?

Cheers,
Fire Cat

Reaction score
Wait a sec!
I don't understand what you want to do.

I thought you had one computer with two screens, and that you wanted one to watch a movie and the other for games?
Now you have two computers and no problems?

Cheers,
Fire Cat
Sorry, computer screen, I missed a word.

Reaction score
Oh... Ok.
Well try the link roban gave.

Cheers,
Fire Cat
Roban? you mean Core? with the virtual audio cable... I tried that, but no luck...

I'm still clueless about this, but from what I can tell nothing like what I want exists.

If it doesn't I guess I'll just have to wait, or make it myself, but that'll take a long time since I am just starting to learn programming. We shall see...

Reaction score
Its it possible in VLAN to choose which audio device to use.. in that way it is possible for me to watch movies and series on my 2. screen, while im playing lol on my main.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question