SOLVED Login 'style'

Reaction score
Hi

I'm brand new to the forums and relatively new to Windows 7, migrating from XP. I hope I'm posting this to the right forum -- My question is is quite a generic one, that's why I decided to post in General discussion.

I'd like to know if it is possible to set up Windows 7 to be able to log into a workstation by typing the username and the password (more or less like Windows XP pro) to replace the default login, where the user needs to click on their name and enter a password if required (this is more suitable for home use than for a workplace).

I'm running Windows 7 Professional.

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Hi spbl - Welcome to w7forums

Do you not want to create these Accounts before they are needed? I'm not an expert on all the different ways to setup the accounts. I do know you can goto User Accounts and create all the accounts you want with or without passwords.

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies.

And thanks to Thrax: that's what I was after, even though I was hoping there would be a way of setting this without having to manually edit the registry.

I think I can consider this one solved!

Reaction score
There is a way. I'm guessing you're talking about logging in like into a domain where you type the user name and password. You just go to Administrative tools/Local Policies/Security Options/ and then there will be options for "Interactive Logon:". Then from there you can turn features on and off. I assume you want a more secure login set up. Hope this helps.

Ask a Question