Difficulties with login & Admin acct. disabled

Reaction score
Having major problems with a) logging into Windows 7, which started when an automatic logon process suddenly introduced User screens, and b) a disabled Administrators account.

Now after bootup I immediately get a green screen with

"You cannot log on because the logon method you are using is not allowed on this computer.."

After clicking on boxes, I get to a choice between "Guest" and "Other User" - and then can enter and get into "Mike/ no password" account and open the Win 7 desktop.

However, when I try to run "netplwiz" I get the permission screen for altering programs - with the YES option blanked/not available. It asks me to type in Administrator password - but gives me no option/box to do this.

So the Administrator account appears to be disabled, and I appear to have no way to alter that - no capacity to run system-altering programs or netplwiz.

What can I do to sort out this double problem? Many thx.

P.S. I ran a Password Reset Disk - and have all the passwords for the user accounts - and the capacity to alter them, but that doesn't appear to be the problem.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I think you were most likely infected by a virus.

If you can get to safe mode you might be able to use TDSSKiller and RKill from our Freeware DB (download them using another computer and put them on a flash drive). You reboot your system into safe mode without networking (Reboot and, when it says "Starting Windows," Press F8; If you get a message asking continue in safe mode or perform a system restore, choose continue in safe mode). Now run TDSSKiller and after that run RKill from the flash drive and after that run a full virus scan. The first two will take maybe 5 minutes each but a full virus scan can take anywhere from 30 minutes to several hours depending on your hard drive size and number of files.

Booting in safe mode makes sure only minimal services/programs are started. TDSSKiller is designed specifically to look for rootkits. RKill is designed to stop the stealthing programs that hide/protect/regenerate some nasty viruses. Running these first will help ensure your A/V has the absolute best chance of cleaning up infected files.

Reaction score
Many thx for suggestion. I'd just started scanning the system with Malwarebytes.

I have got into Safe Mode already today - and ALL the problems reoccur - Same "You cannot log on.."message. Same inability to alter Admin disablement, even from lusumngr.msc.

Are you saying I should run your 2 progs. in Safe Mode - and *then* run my existing AVG antivirus prog? - IOW what do I use for the virus scan? And Malwarebytes? Are these last two progs. less effective in normal mode?

Thx again.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Booting in safe mode makes sure only minimal services/programs are started which often helps keep some virus self-protection off and "without networking" keeps it from transmitting & getting instructions online.

Yes you run TDSSKiller, then RKill, and then an antivirus of your choosing (such as AVG or MBAM) in that order, all while in safe mode. The A/V direct scan should be MORE effective in safe mode, especially after running TDSSKiller & RKill.

Reaction score
TrainableMan,

No can do! - can't run progslike RKill that alter the computer even in Safe Mode - get the permission screen for altering programs - with the YES option blanked/not available.

What now?! Any ideas?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Yes but not a very nice one.

Are you able to back up your data to an external hard drive, flash drives or even burn it to DVDs?

Because I suggest you back up all your data, format the hard drive, then reinstall W7 and all your software.

Reaction score
Why can't I just reinstall W7? Or a new copy? My data will still be safe won't it? & it's Skydrive backed up anyway.

[I have realised the problem is probably not malware. It started, I think, with installing NeroMediaHomeUser. Then I started getting user screens instead of autobooting into desktop.

I tried ways of getting rid of them, incl. netplwiz. There I played around with accounts - and, I suspect, effectively disabled Administrator]

Thx again.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you are sure it isn't a virus then sure you can try it. You will still have to reinstall all your software after you reinstall W7.

Reaction score
Thx again but in end wasn't necessary. The solution was Win DVD - System Restore - and it automatically repaired the system configuration - so that the system now goes into a Mike screen then desktop, and Mike's Administrator rights have been restored. The Administrator account never has been enabled, I've discovered. I'd disabled Mike, the main user.

Any idea how I can *safely* remove that Mike screen so it automatically boots straight into the desktop?

Thx again

Ask a Question