KVM between 32 and 64 Bit PCs

Reaction score
I run 2 computers off a KVM switch. (1 monitor, keyboard, & mouse)
Both computers are 32 bit.
I'm getting ready to replace one of them with a new 64 bit computer, so the new arrangement will be a 32 bit computer and a 64 bit computer to run off that same KVM arrangement.

Is that 32 bit / 64 bit arrangement sharing the same monitor / keyboard / mouse going to be a problem? They even share my printer and speakers off the same KVM switch.

I assume each computer just needs it's own proper driver for each shared piece of hardware and all should be fine, right? I hope? :D

Last edited:

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
No, you won't have any problems, so long as the KVM switch itself works ok. I use a kvm switch between a Windows 7 x64 and a Mac Mini. 32/64 doesn't come into it, so long as all the cables have the right connectors you're good to go.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yep, like Core and Clifford said it will be fine :). It's just connections that you are switching, no hardware drivers are involved :D.

Reaction score
No, you won't have any problems, so long as the KVM switch itself works ok. I use a kvm switch between a Windows 7 x64 and a Mac Mini. 32/64 doesn't come into it, so long as all the cables have the right connectors you're good to go.
Hi, I have been thinking to use a KVM switch for Windows 7/Mac, may I ask which KVM you are using or suggestion on what type of KVM should I been looking for? I am new to KVM.

Thanks,
DDmak

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Hi, I have been thinking to use a KVM switch for Windows 7/Mac, may I ask which KVM you are using or suggestion on what type of KVM should I been looking for? I am new to KVM.

Thanks,
DDmak
I've been using a cheap Iogear one with usb connections. Its price was around $30 and it was one of the cheap ones. If I bought a new one, I'd get something a bit more expensive. The one I have works and all, but it has a tendency to "freeze" where it switches the screen but not the mouse or keyboard. It's kind of a pain, but apparently not unheard of with the cheaper models.

However, since the screen swap worked perfectly, I went about solving the mouse/keyboard problem by using the KVM switch just for the video, and running Synergy (Windows/Linux as server, Mac as a client) to share the mouse and keyboard. This worked perfectly for me.

Reaction score
I've been using a cheap Iogear one with usb connections. Its price was around $30 and it was one of the cheap ones. If I bought a new one, I'd get something a bit more expensive. The one I have works and all, but it has a tendency to "freeze" where it switches the screen but not the mouse or keyboard. It's kind of a pain, but apparently not unheard of with the cheaper models.

However, since the screen swap worked perfectly, I went about solving the mouse/keyboard problem by using the KVM switch just for the video, and running Synergy (Windows/Linux as server, Mac as a client) to share the mouse and keyboard. This worked perfectly for me.
Thanks for the input.

Ask a Question