Just finished my dual monitor setup SUPERB

Reaction score
I had my Geforce 8600 GT 256mb graphics card come today and setup dual monitors.

Absolutely superb, I wished I did it a long time ago.
I have re-arranged my desktop so that all my programming software is on the left monitor and other software icons on the right, whilst working on projects I can watch a DVD at the same time.
It’s fantastic, will never use a single monitor again.

Do you have this setup and how do you use yours.
Are there other settings or things you can do using both monitors.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
That's nice.

I have one main screen, 22" attached to a PC.
What I usualy do, is to plug in my laptops or netbook into a free port in the display. Thanks to that, I can switch computers with one push of a button.
This can also be useful when I watch a movie with friends, because I plug in a projector into the extra monitor (as well as the laptop) and set the movie on that screen, which will then display on the projector. I can then do some work on my normal screen.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Although my graphics card supports up to 3, I'm only running a single monitor. Some of the newer games, like car race games, you can set one monitor to your front view and have the other monitor be your rear view mirror or driver side mirror, something like that..

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Although my graphics card supports up to 3
I bet research will show it only supports two at a time. Usually, if you use both DVI and HDMI, the D-Sub is disabled.

I started using a dual-monitor setup about 7 years ago with a mismatched 17 and 15 inch monitors and was immediately stuck on dual-monitors. I am now running two 22" Widescreen Samsungs. For me, it does not matter how big the monitor is used in a single monitor setup, two monitors, even if smaller, is still better.

There are some free multi-monitor management programs that enhance Windows native support, but I have found UltraMon to be the best, and worth paying for.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
According to the docs I can run both DVI ports and a third from the Display Port.

Reaction score
TrainableMan probably has a Radeon HD 5000 series card. If so, it supports a technology known as Eyefinity. Eyefinity allows Radeons to combine three displays into one SLS (single large display) at the driver level. All you need is 2xDVI+DP or 3xDVI with an Active DisplayPort adapter.

This tech is so cool because games and apps that draw their supported resolution information from the driver will see and make available the full resolution of all three combined displays.

Reaction score
I've had a dual set up for quite awhile on NVidia GeForce 9800 GT with Acer 19" monitors and I can't see ever not having it.

I use it extensively for designing. The only thing I would do at this point is upgrade to 24" monitors.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
According to the docs I can run both DVI ports and a third from the Display Port.
Sweet. Thanks for clarifying. I guess I have some homework to do. ;)

Reaction score
My first foray into dual monitors were two mismatched monitors and two graphics cards, one VGA and one PCI. It was awkward and clumsy but I could see promise. When I got a graphics card that would output to two monitors I bought two matching 17" monitors and I was sold. Now I have two 22" digital LCD monitors and it's great.

Yeh, I can have a movie on one screen while I write on the other screen. For serious writing, I can have my two dictionaries on one screen and write on the other. As I read the news in the morning I can have the radio player on the second screen. When I edit photos, I have my editing on one screen and my grid view of photos on the other.

I will never voluntarily go back to one monitor for my desktop.

Reaction score
Congrats, it is nice, I have been running a dual setup for quite some time now. I find it very useful when I write articles for my website, About Facts Net. I can open the word processor on one screen and do the research on the other. I toyed with the idea of 4 monitors, but quite frankly who has the room?
Good Luck.

Ask a Question