IZArc - Zip Archiving Utility

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
I have used Win RAR for years but i do get a bit miffed when me and the wife add a Computer to the household its pay again .... so i started looking at freeware Zip applications, tried a few and settled on IZarc, it can do all i need and behaves the same as Win RAR.

If your looking for a Zip archiving / opening utility for your Windows 7 installation you wont go far wrong with this freeware :)

Link > http://download.cnet.com/IZArc/3000-2250_4-10072925.html

Link > http://www.izarc.org/

Reaction score
My file manager has zip utilities built in. I've only needed one other compression utility that was not included, 7-Zip.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
I did try 7-zip but for me IZArc is a better all in one :)

Reaction score
I only needed it that once. I don't even remember the file extention that I was needing it for. I think it was a "Filename.7z" but I'm not certain.

ZIP and RAR, and CAB are the main ones that I deal with.

The file manager supports (ZIP, ARJ, LZH, RAR, UC2, TAR, GZ, CAB, ACE) archive handling.

Doesn't Windows Explorer read ZIP files but lacks the writing capability?

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Yes it does Clifford but there are times i need to send a zip file so i find IZArc very useful at no cost, some freeware is quite good and some tends to be a nice surprise and be very good IZArc for my use is the latter :)

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
I was using Izarc religiously until I changed over to Windows 7 64 bit. For some reason when I install it, I don't get a nice right-click menu integration. So for now, I'm using 7Zip which does have this functionality in W7 64 bit

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Thats strange, I'm on Windows 7 Pro 64-bit ?

Edit - did you use compatibility. IZArc version 4.1 04.12.2009

Now I'm puzzled, i just reinstalled IZArc (straight) and Ive lost most of the right click menu :rolleyes:

Er 7Zip you say :lol:

Last edited:

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Hmmm, I never tried to use Compatibility Mode (I did have the latest version). Maybee I'll give that a try? Or Not? LOL

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
I would not bother Draceena i have tried three times now to install the latest version ... it installs but some of the right click menu is missing, I'm now using 7zip :)

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
I did try 7-zip but for me IZArc is a better all in one :)
Hm, can you give any specific examples, just out of curiosity?

Doesn't Windows Explorer read ZIP files but lacks the writing capability?
Yes, but if you have ever tried to use the built-in Windows Explorer ZIP you'll know it's pretty darn slow! It's significantly slower on large complex files than WinRAR or 7-Zip. It also pops up a wizard every time you wish to unzip something that you have to click through, instead of right-clicking and selecting an action off of the context menu.

I was using Izarc religiously until I changed over to Windows 7 64 bit. For some reason when I install it, I don't get a nice right-click menu integration. So for now, I'm using 7Zip which does have this functionality in W7 64 bit
Perhaps you need to configure the context menu options from within the settings panel? I know WinRAR has a multitude of context menu options that only show up if configured from within the program's preferences menu (or during the last install screen).

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Kougar wrote
Hm, can you give any specific examples, just out of curiosity?
Yes i prefer the interface it seams tighter (for a better word), my first install of IZArc went fine then i installed again as i was wondering why Draceena had only part of the right click menu ... then i found i had the same problem :rolleyes:, so now I'm running 7Zip. I may download Win RAR as its on 40 day trial and £17.89p... we will see.

Click to enlarge

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Well this just gets wierder and wierder. I decided to give Izarc another try. Uninstalled 7Zip and did the Izarc install and the full right-click menu was there!?!

LOL, I am now back with Izarc o_O

Reaction score
I'm not so sure about a program that has it's own mind.
Is that good or bad when the program does the thinking for you? :lol:

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
:lol:... Right im going to try one more time

@ Draceena - did you use any compat mode ?

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Nope, I just downloaded the newest version (just to be 100% sure I had the newest) and installed normally

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
I will go again then ... thanks :)... and will edit this post with the results,

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
If all the options aren't there don't forget to check the Options / Explorer Enhancements and see if all the options are checked

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
All the options are checked and IZArc is installed (with full right click menu) :D

Note: I removed all reg keys to do with IZArc before i installed.

Ask a Question