Is "Unlimited" really unlimited?

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
My ISP the same treatment. A warning notice. But I would emphasise that I was not speaking of the legal attitude towards Bit torrent or any other torrent downloader. I only mentioned torrent files. One cannot escape from the fact that most of these are found on pirate sites.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
"that program that davehc suggested loaded other software onto my system"
Huh! What other programs?

Bit Torrent. Confused again! Bit torrent, as far as I am aware, only downloads torrent files?? It is still out to the jury, but these are considered pirate files by many ISP,s - unfortunately mine being one such.
They are, in fact, often a malicious way for busybodies to load virus's on to your computer.
Obviously you are not downloading from Technet?
davehc, there was never any problem with your advice, about the program that you offered. But now they unload other software on your system, some kind of updater. It is voluntary, but they are deceptive about it. They claim it's good, but mostly it's trash that's installed, and some of these "updates" has nothing to do with the programs that you have.

However, I had the program that you suggested in the past, I just couldn't remember when. It may have helped a little, but not much. But thanks for your advice, you had no way of knowing of the other program that they try to lure you into.

And no, I would never use BitTorrent to download TechNet files, they have their own download manager, and I just patiently wait for my download to complete.

Last edited:

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I see. I haven't experienced that. But if, at the time you were using a linked torrent downloader, maybe that was the culprit. <iknow, for example, that Bit Comet checks for updates for everything on your computer, but only as an option.
Also, perhaps in the (Freedownloader) options you did not turn off the automatic updates?
No matter, as you are now using another program.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
OK, my problem is solved, or part of it is anyway. For $46/monthly, I get my same level of internet (7mbps). The speed problem will be taken another look at (for the 4th time).

Now as to how I got this low rate, I was on the phone with Time Warner, and they continued to BS me. To the point that I told them to come and get all of their equipment, and to bill me no more. They told me to bring the equipment to the local office, and the matter would be over. I was paid through Saturday (6/19), and as long as I had everything back by then, I wouldn't receive another bill.

About three hours later, my wife came outside to get me, someone from Warner has called for me, from the regional office. Turns out, he's an operations manager, and he reviewed my prior complaints and reason for leaving very carefully. First of all, he told me that he didn't call to shove anything down my throat, which I considered a refreshing attitude. He told me that I'd been a long time customer, and that prior to them being my ISP, there were no complaints on file and that apparently I'd been a happy customer. And that he wanted me to feel that way again. So he asked me what it was that I wanted, and that he'd see to it that it was done.

First of all, I thanked him for his call, and told him that I'd had enough of the riff-raff, the reps telling me that I had to have this and that to have what I wanted. He responded again by asking me what I wanted from Time Warner. I told him that I wanted the internet service that I pay for, and no other services. Period. He told me no problem, that as of the time our conversation ended, all other services would be terminated. And that a company professional would be coming by to check out my speed issues. I told him that I can see how I can't have wide open service 24/7, but after 11PM, speed shouldn't be an issue, he agreed. He mentioned something about placing a service monitor on the line, to narrow down the problem.

So, it at least appears that Warner doesn't want to lose business, and if you have legit issues, and mine were well documented, they will work with you. I thanked the man after the call, and he was good to his word on the first issue, terminating the services that I didn't want within minutes. A tech should be here this week to check everything out. In my opinion, there's way too many unused cables in this apartment, and they're not capped at the end or anything. Some are even joined by the center copper wires being trimmed back and twisted together tightly, followed by the outer layer simply being joined by trimming back and wrapping aluminum foil around them, and wrapped with duct tape. Although my connection is not like this, how many of these "patches", where a tenant simply didn't want to pay $2.50 for an extra line, exists here? I've done the same, splitting the cable to extend to another room, but with the proper parts. Radio Shack sells everything you need to join cable properly, for next to nothing. Anyway, these issues will be taken care of.

So as it turns out, I've saved a lot of cash by my earlier disconnection request, now, my speed has to get better. Not perfect, but at least close to what I'm paying for. Persistence does pay off, in the end, and I hope that it does with me, too. So far, it has.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I have no idea who Warner is, except that it is an ISP. You may have stirred the pot sufficiently to help others who use it!

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
This is good to hear. I was very happy with their service for the few years I had it. I'm glad they are still capable of providing worthy service. I'm surprised you got a call from a regional office, though; I wonder how it landed on their table. Maybe they take a closer look at disconnection requests nowadays?

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
I have no idea who Warner is, except that it is an ISP. You may have stirred the pot sufficiently to help others who use it!
Some info on Time Warner.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Warner_Cable

Cat, the cable rigging in your apartment seems to me to be a big reason for your problems. If you can get them to get rid of that rats nest of wires and get a direct connection from the main line to the modem, you almost have to see an improvement. Not always possible in an apartment complex where the line must be split many times. Do you live in a complex or a house?

BTW Nice job being the squeaky wheel. :)

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
This is good to hear. I was very happy with their service for the few years I had it. I'm glad they are still capable of providing worthy service. I'm surprised you got a call from a regional office, though; I wonder how it landed on their table. Maybe they take a closer look at disconnection requests nowadays?
How about, "your call may be monitored for..............."

I also have TWC. We had our house built 6 years ago and all the wiring was done correctly at that time. The only thing I've done since is split off 1 cable tv wire for the Man Cave. I wish TWC was a little less expensive but I can say that about everything. Their service has been OK.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Cat, the cable rigging in your apartment seems to me to be a big reason for your problems. If you can get them to get rid of that rats nest of wires and get a direct connection from the main line to the modem, you almost have to see an improvement. Not always possible in an apartment complex where the line must be split many times. Do you live in a complex or a house?
What Yodap said is very true! The more split-offs and breaks in the line coming in will effect the internet speed. Time-Warner Cable which owns RoadRunner, always recommends the cable modem be tied into as close to the main cable line as possible. The more splits in the line between the modem and the main line will cause signal problems and loss.

Perhaps when TWC sends their tech out to see you, be sure you mention this issue and see if they would run you a new line direct to your modems's location. They will probably help quite a lot.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
We had our house built 6 years ago and all the wiring was done correctly at that time. The only thing I've done since is split off 1 cable tv wire for the Man Cave. I wish TWC was a little less expensive but I can say that about everything. Their service has been OK.
Tell me more about the Man Cave.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Some info on Time Warner.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Warner_Cable

BTW Nice job being the squeaky wheel. :)
I live in a duplex, the owner lives in the one beside of me. I've alerted him that Time Warner would be coming by to inspect everything, being that the line comes in from their side of the house. Some of these "rat nests" were caused by former tenants here, tapping into the owner's connection. After taking a closer look underneath the place, most of these connections are just laying on the ground, as Time Warner had to repair their connections a few years back. So at least some of them are no longer a problem. As for my internet connection cable, it was custom ran for me to isolate it from the rest of my services that I had. So no rat nests are connected to that. But it is joined by a splitter to the rest of everything. The second connection to the splitter will be removed and capped, and per request from my landlord, all other cables except the phone and TV (which is no longer in service) will be removed, to clean everything up. They should be here by Friday to complete the task.

Core, as to your inquiry about the regional office calling me, I had called them a couple of times recently, regarding my internet speed. I really didn't want to go over my local office's head, but was left with no choice. My issues were not being taken seriously by the local office. When I called yesterday to disconnect all services, somehow or the other, my request landed on the operations manager's desk. That prompted the call later that resolved everything. Most likely, they need all of the revenue they can get, as many businesses were dissatisfied with Time Warner's "business class" services, and they reverted back to AT&T. A business doesn't have time for the "ups and downs" of the service. Retailers whose registers were tied to the service were badly affected, especially in this day of debit & credit card use, these transactions must be processed quickly, or the lines (of customers) have to wait, and many gets pissed.

So with that in mind, they lost a lot of business. Customers don't want to hear at the registers that their computer is slow, with a meaningless apology. Likely, I don't want my computer to be slow, either. Last night, it performed much better, they remotely done something to my router. Hopefully, it will continue to perform decently. But since all of these extras that I was paying for is gone, I'd be hard pressed to find an ISP to give me 7mbps for $45 monthly. There's no way I can beat what I have now, so I'll just learn to live with the times it's a little slow. They compromised for me, so I can return the favor.

Cat

Ask a Question