Is Mint 9 what it's hyped up to be?

Reaction score
Hijack...ouch...sorry guys I didn't even realize...

Question: How did you people add a picture next to your name?

Reaction score
To Nibiru2012

Whew...I was beginning to wonder how many others learned (despite the predominant media input we get) about thermite and thermate.

Having more than a couple decades under my belt (and a history of five "licenses") it seems to make good business sense to walk away from a business venture if it's losing money and sell of what can be sold then burn the house down for the insurance money (LOL that's extreme huh? Try reading Revelations, especially 17 & 18 and find out where the whore runs off to! ....and what does a whore do? That's right, she sells herself).

See, Lobbyists used to be from American owned companies but there's a problem nowadays....those companies are now increasingly non-American which brings us to a conflict of interest (or to the owners, interests). Why is it that I can't get a motel that isn't Indian-owned (sorry no offense to Indians) and why can't I find a 7-11 that isn't run and owned by Habib (sorry middle-easterners) and why is over 87% of all our printed and aired media owned by the Jews (sorry Jewish people) and why the hell isn't my offspring availed those spots??

The world is a very different game now, and one could argue that corporations are the new rulers with those "elected" "officials" as operating in the fashion of mere managers (managing us unmanageables).

This brings us back to Windows/Linux/Mac. Have you noticed that we see in two's? Microsoft and Mac, Democrat and Republican, Verizon and Brighthouse, etc. Who owns the media might be a good starting point. Where does the curriculum that is fed our kids come from (hint: it's not the education department). Remember when we were schooled to fear the great red menace with it's single solitary choice? Hmmm...

Anyway, Linux just makes good damn sense when one would like to venture off the grid and have more control over one's system (and the data that others collect from our systems).

We actually earn more here selling the installation of Linux, almost double that of a Windows installation....other things that make Linux the answer? Well how about this tidbit: Have you noticed that installations of Linux (the versions we install anyway) allow for all hardware to be installed PRIOR to the op sys (whereas we have to temporarily remove add-on cards and card readers, etc. in a windows installation and then add each card one at a time following the installation and their subsequent drivers and blah blah blah....futile and non-profitable and for what? The customer will invariably be back within the year with some sort of problem, GUARANTEED residual income (but there's a moral issue with us so...).

P.S. Bash is way cooler than dos ever could be (youtube: Linux command-line tutorial)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I started skimming after the whores so maybe I missed an actual answer but I doubt it ... the question was Mint, not is a Linux OS the way to go, is this Mint version a good OS?

But now I understand the NPR nick :p

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
You are correct, the hardware can be installed first, and it's usually on problem with most Linux OS's, as the Linux OS's will find and install the right driver(s) from the start. Allowing you to get started on the next job, and the prior install is running good. Mint is very good at this, both the 32 & 64 bit versions.

The only problem that I find with Mint is installing printers. A lot of Linux OS's are picky about this, but considering how well Mint installs onto the computer, you can overlook a $30 printer not installing.

Reaction score
Printers list for Linux

You are correct, the hardware can be installed first, and it's usually on problem with most Linux OS's, as the Linux OS's will find and install the right driver(s) from the start. Allowing you to get started on the next job, and the prior install is running good. Mint is very good at this, both the 32 & 64 bit versions.

The only problem that I find with Mint is installing printers. A lot of Linux OS's are picky about this, but considering how well Mint installs onto the computer, you can overlook a $30 printer not installing.
We found the following link to be helpful concerning evaluating whether or not a printer will work with linux: http://www.openprinting.org/printers

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
you can overlook a $30 printer not installing.
Well, my printer is certainly not a $30 printer. Maybe a $110 ! LOL!

Linux does install the drivers for my printer, the problem is my printer is capable of printing discs, printable surface CD and DVD discs, plus their respective case labels. Show me a Linux program capable of doing that!

I like to back up my movie DVDs and audio CDs to a copy so I can keep the originals in pristine condition. Where is there a Linux program to copy DVD movies in ISO format and maintain the layer-break on DL discs? I want to make an ISO of my prized CDs, show me a Linux program that does that too.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Mainly what I was referring to was the OS installed onto the computer, most (mainstream) Linux OS's does an excellent job of installing itself, and finding the right drivers. And having to update only once, versus checking for updates, applying them, rechecking, several cycles before the system is finally updated (XP is very bad for this). Update once, and forget it.

Your point about the printer is a good one, it's tricky to get a driver installed that works like it does in Windows, but with some research (and a friend who knows Linux OS's inside out), you may be able to do it.

Downloads can also be tricky to apply, it's usually not the same way as it is with Windows. Some are easy (such as the latest version of VirtualBox), many you have to play with until you're ready to pull your hair out. But Mint has a software portal of 25 to 35 thousand options to easily download and apply. Working within the box is a piece of cake, it's when you wander outside of the box, things become tricky.

If all someone needed was an OS that would install & update easily, use it for general browsing, purchases, everyday web use, Mint is perfect. You don't need an AV, just use No Script & Adblock Plus in the latest Firefox (3.6.6), you're good. And without the weight of that AV, you can fly across the net.

It's not the same as Windows, but neither is Mac. It's a form of computing that has it's own merits (the security is outstanding), and many businesses uses it. The NYSE and NASA are two fine examples of Linux users. If it's good enough for them, it has to be worth something.

Cat

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
The NYSE and NASA are two fine examples of Linux users. If it's good enough for them, it has to be worth something.
Yeah, but remember that both of those groups have their own core of in-house programmers that develop and customize the OS to their needs.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
That is true, and there are paid versions of Linux (Xandros, for one) that are catered to businesses. They have professional support, because they pay for the OS & support.

One other thing to mention, is that most of us use Linux tools in one way or the other. Most backup programs, even the Windows 7 default one, uses a Linux rescue disc to recover. In certain situations, like when we can't even boot into the OS, once again Linux boot discs comes to the rescue, even that Windows 7 emergency rescue disc (the stock one) is Linux based. They do make excellent tools to work with, and my butt has been saved by these discs more than once.

And there is support, if you need it. Most mainstream Linux OS's has their own forum, and there are a few all purpose Linux forums, too. Mint has a very large one, one of the largest in the world of Linux, and probably the best one of all. So if all of the features you want don't work at first, it's possible that it may. Many eager forum members (just like ours) are more than willing to help, 24/7.

And lastly, it's possible that some of your hardware/software simply doesn't work with Linux, or the OS that you choose. My printer didn't, and still hasn't. But if I needed to, I can buy one that will work, that's in their repositories, where all drivers are furnished and I'm as good to go as ever. But my reason for needing Windows as my main OS is twofold, the download issue, many apps that works with Windows, doesn't work with Linux, and even if they did, as I've said, you can pull your hair out trying to apply it. And professional support, I need that as much as having downloads work as they should. Those things are not free, and were never intended to be.

Yes, Mint 9 is what it's hyped up to be, but is not a drop-in replacement for Windows. I don't believe any OS can replace Windows, but there are some that can co-exist, and Mint is certainly one of them. It's just a matter of mindset, if you expect everything to work the same, and are unwilling to learn, then it's best to leave it alone, it will never please you, no matter what. On the other hand, if you're willing to learn a little, you can go a long way with Mint.

Cat

Reaction score
Of course linux can do aaaaaannnnnyyyything windows can!!

Linux does install the drivers for my printer, the problem is my printer is capable of printing discs, printable surface CD and DVD discs, plus their respective case labels. Show me a Linux program capable of doing that!

I like to back up my movie DVDs and audio CDs to a copy so I can keep the originals in pristine condition. Where is there a Linux program to copy DVD movies in ISO format and maintain the layer-break on DL discs? I want to make an ISO of my prized CDs, show me a Linux program that does that too.

You obviously haven't used Linux in quite some bash-ful time huh?

The answer is yes, I GUARANTEE YOU CAN DO ANYTHING YOU FORMERLY DID WITH YOUR RESTRICTED OPERATING SYSTEM WITHIN THE NON-RESTRICTED LINUX DISTRO (MINT).

Um, cat got your tongue? (**again, just because you don't know something doesn't mean it can't be done...and guess what? IT'S ALL BEEN DONE in Linux...windows is closed source and you're at the mercy of the privileged few capitalists that are selling you pipe dreams and in your case, obvious brainwashing mingled with a dash of ignorance. Not to worry....some day you'll recall this conversation and you'll be like:" oh yeah " and I'll be like: "uh-huh_+ and ....LOL....

okay anyway,
Oh Yes, we've seen a few of those disk duplicators through here (some well over 13k, off the top of my head I can't recall the name of the best one, from Europe that had the mechanized arm and four dvd duplicators with separate hoppers and what appeared to be a common printer mounted on top with an extended rear to allow the disk to pass back).

But what's your point? All I can say is try, You CAN DO IT ALL WITH LINUX.

You still don't get it? Okay check this out, we have a server here that I kind of like dabbling with, I had both xp and vista running simultaneously within mint while I was spinning the 3d not missing a beat...can you do that with windows? LOL

Can you write on an "active" live desktop with fire? Can you do anything linux can do and with over 30THOUSAND FREE PROGRAMS DESIGNED BY THE PROS....hmmm...no, maybe you should stick with your windows...you might have to think for a moment and

Reaction score
Oooops missed the point....the answer is Yes Linux can do it.

Okay ufo, yes, linux can do those things aforementioned. (now here's where he wants me to hold his hand to do that for him??).

I don't have the inclination to care but here's what YOU can do (and it's only one option).

Install Linux (which by the way is not a program, as you call it).

Now install virtual box and then install windows and now do all you want

Personally I think the option explained is not the best one, but for the simple that just can't let go of the noose around their bloody neck....well.

Not to worry, windows will actually run faster in your linux (not side by side but INSIDE the protective arms of LInux).

p.s. can your windows media player do this: In linux mint, open rhythym box and then jamendo....wait for your database to fill with over 240k songs freeeeeee....and then make a song of your own on your skinflute, upload it, and make money off of it!

No kidding....anybody else play with jamendo yet? OUR MUSIC IS BETTER THAN THE FEW ARTISTS THAT WE FORMERLY PAID FOR!!!

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I use Mint a lot, you stand correct that there are thousands of apps in the box. But for many, it's a huge learning curve. I'm still learning it myself, just as I'm still learning Windows.

Had I got my cheap printer to work last summer & early fall, I probably would never had seen Windows 7, but I'm glad that it turned out the way it did. I got a new desktop with 7 preinstalled on it, I did some partitioning, now I have both. Windows 7 Pro & Linux Mint 9 (both 64 bit). And happy to have a choice between the two.

Cat

Reaction score
Sigh.....

I use Mint a lot, you stand correct that there are thousands of apps in the box. But for many, it's a huge learning curve. I'm still learning it myself, just as I'm still learning Windows.

Had I got my cheap printer to work last summer & early fall, I probably would never had seen Windows 7, but I'm glad that it turned out the way it did. I got a new desktop with 7 preinstalled on it, I did some partitioning, now I have both. Windows 7 Pro & Linux Mint 9 (both 64 bit). And happy to have a choice between the two.

Cat

Sigh...okay, name and model of the printer you want to install please?

Reaction score
Kenny Hendrick says good night to all pphhhhttt!~!

Cat

Hey, I have to go lay down....i'm ready to pass out here. Here are 3 quick options to get your printer installed:

1.) Pay someone like us to install it if you can't (but I promise you YOU can).
2.) Install the printer on another windows machine instead (and in those ultra rare moments when you actually MUUUUUST print to that particular printer, simply go through the share on your lan and print.
3.) Buy one of the over 100k printers that need no brains to install (and actually install easier than anyyyyy windows printer in a fraction of the time...usually so fast it's ready to be printed to before you can find something to send to the printer!).

There's more but I'll spare you....time to talk to the hand (LOL...um, that's a joke....no really, it was a joke....)

Good night

Reaction score
oh

Cat

Oh and 4: install linux and then install xp in the virtual box now print to your printer in linux in windows in linux .... suhweeeet

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll give that a shot. In fact, I already have Win 2K, XP Pro, Vista SP2 & Windows 7 Home Premium installed in VirtualBox inside of Mint. I'll play around with it some.

I hope that you hang around, we can use all of the knowledge that we can get here. Every bit counts.

Cat

Reaction score
Kernel please

You know Cat, I've been thinking lately about some things with this system so much lately that it depresses me to think that this wasn't "visible" years ago (before I started getting old and stupid).

Here's something to think about: What's the difference between 8 and 9 mint? Yeah, we know one had a different label and all but what else? 8 had more compiz and 9 has some extra "other" packages butwhatelseisdifferent??

Not much.

See, we have mint all the way back to 5 I think (possibly older but I'm not moving right now...only fingers tickety tackety thumb).

My thinking as of late is .... well....maybe building the kernel from scratch is beyond my reach and timeframe but mint 9 can be just like 8 (simply install the missing packages...mainly compiz extras) and if we can backtrack why couldn't we start lower on the totem with only those items we need (tailored for use in the business performing specific functions...in our case, not in the interest of the average computer user).

Even when this company did windows we oftentimes considered going back to dos and keeping a few of the machines off the net.

The freedom of linux is that from package zoneminder for your true blue security system to the treasures of rhythmbox and pidgin we see nothing but options...a sprinkle of change (we can do it without worry of the corporate police and conscience) and a teaspoon of personalization (which is almost IMPOSSIBLE for yours to look like mine, unlike microsoft....it is what it is and it'll be nomore...you can't change it even for the better, you're a "criminal" if you do....gimme a break, they can keep that junk and so can the cattle that can't see beyond the box of capitalists that have spent this country into a 14trillion dollar debt (oh crap that's another ramble huh?).

In summation, I just typed all this stuff to see if I can still type good, no corrections and now I'm practicing going to bed....goodnight.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Okay ufo, yes, linux can do those things aforementioned. (now here's where he wants me to hold his hand to do that for him??).

I don't have the inclination to care but here's what YOU can do (and it's only one option).

Install Linux (which by the way is not a program, as you call it).

Now install virtual box and then install windows and now do all you want

Personally I think the option explained is not the best one, but for the simple that just can't let go of the noose around their bloody neck....well.

Not to worry, windows will actually run faster in your linux (not side by side but INSIDE the protective arms of LInux).

p.s. can your windows media player do this: In linux mint, open rhythym box and then jamendo....wait for your database to fill with over 240k songs freeeeeee....and then make a song of your own on your skinflute, upload it, and make money off of it!

No kidding....anybody else play with jamendo yet? OUR MUSIC IS BETTER THAN THE FEW ARTISTS THAT WE FORMERLY PAID FOR!!!

This post make no sense at all... rambling.

I was talking about a program for Linux, not the OS itself. Re-read the post.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
You know Cat, I've been thinking lately about some things with this system so much lately that it depresses me to think that this wasn't "visible" years ago (before I started getting old and stupid).

Here's something to think about: What's the difference between 8 and 9 mint? Yeah, we know one had a different label and all but what else? 8 had more compiz and 9 has some extra "other" packages butwhatelseisdifferent??

Not much.

See, we have mint all the way back to 5 I think (possibly older but I'm not moving right now...only fingers tickety tackety thumb).

My thinking as of late is .... well....maybe building the kernel from scratch is beyond my reach and timeframe but mint 9 can be just like 8 (simply install the missing packages...mainly compiz extras) and if we can backtrack why couldn't we start lower on the totem with only those items we need (tailored for use in the business performing specific functions...in our case, not in the interest of the average computer user).

Even when this company did windows we oftentimes considered going back to dos and keeping a few of the machines off the net.

The freedom of linux is that from package zoneminder for your true blue security system to the treasures of rhythmbox and pidgin we see nothing but options...a sprinkle of change (we can do it without worry of the corporate police and conscience) and a teaspoon of personalization (which is almost IMPOSSIBLE for yours to look like mine, unlike microsoft....it is what it is and it'll be nomore...you can't change it even for the better, you're a "criminal" if you do....gimme a break, they can keep that junk and so can the cattle that can't see beyond the box of capitalists that have spent this country into a 14trillion dollar debt (oh crap that's another ramble huh?).

In summation, I just typed all this stuff to see if I can still type good, no corrections and now I'm practicing going to bed....goodnight.
More rambling... if you would be able to compose a reply with sentences and paragraphs that are readable and make sense, then perhaps I would give it more thought.

Oh, and by the way, I have been dabbling with Linux OS since 2000, I just don't like it that well.

Ask a Question