Is Mint 9 what it's hyped up to be?

Reaction score
More rambling... if you would be able to compose a reply with sentences and paragraphs that are readable and make sense, then perhaps I would give it more thought.

Oh, and by the way, I have been dabbling with Linux OS since 2000, I just don't like it that well.

Oh you sad pitiful person...did you not see 4 alternatives previously quoted (it doesn't just apply to printers you can't figure out yet).

And, if you recall that part aforementioned about: "Yes, you can do it. .... and "this is where he'll want me to hold his hand" and " I have no inclination to do it".

What part of any of that didn't you understand? Did you not hear me quote that I've installed with systems that USE A BETTER QUALITY CD/DVD PRINTER THAN YOURS?

doh@!

I can drop jewels all day long but someone of your caliber might need more patient people that can spout even more colloquially than I.

Jewel (********HINT: package manager w/terminal******)

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Just a couple of hours ago, I finally finished reorganizing my computer. Windows is on one drive, Linux (Mint 8, Ubuntu 10.04 & Xubuntu 10.04) is on the other. I've installed the latest VirtualBox on all three. Now, the fun begins!

Cat

Reaction score
Oh you sad pitiful person...did you not see 4 alternatives previously quoted (it doesn't just apply to printers you can't figure out yet).
Insulting other forum members is not allowed

What part of any of that didn't you understand? Did you not hear me quote that I've installed with systems that USE A BETTER QUALITY CD/DVD PRINTER THAN YOURS?
The way I interpret this is Linux works if you have Better Quality Parts.
------------------------------------------------------
I have never used Linux and really never plan on it. However the thought has crossed my mind to try it just never made any plans or decided to do so later. Don't forget this is a Windows forum and I am leaving the doors open to discussion as long as there is no conflict between using Windows and Linux together. If we start throwing stones at one another the threads will be locked shortly after.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score

And, if you recall that part aforementioned about: "Yes, you can do it. .... and "this is where he'll want me to hold his hand" and " I have no inclination to do it".

doh@!

I can drop jewels all day long but someone of your caliber might need more patient people that can spout even more colloquially than I.

Jewel (********HINT: package manager w/terminal******)
Originally I thought you had something useful to offer. I was wrong. Quite a troll you've turned out to be. It seems you have a lot of time on your hands (since 90% of your business is installing Linux systems I understand why) so you show up at a Windows7 forum and taunt respected members.

I've tried many distro's over the years and signed on to the corresponding forums and have run into more than a few Linux dweebs with attitudes like yours. I will continue to use Linux systems at my own pace and hopefully find information and help I seek from people that actually care. Yourself not included.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Very true, we do not insult other members here, no matter what. I do use Linux OS's, sometimes I get heated over Microsoft's actions, but I don't take it out on other members. If you 100% totally don't like Windows, then just don't use it. I do respect your decision as to how you earn your living, what side of the table you're totally on. This is a free country, and you have that right.

But please don't come on this forum and blast our members over your opinions. We are family here, this is a friendly forum, and it's my desire for it to remain the best of all Windows 7 forums.

Cat

Reaction score
More rambling... if you would be able to compose a reply with sentences and paragraphs that are readable and make sense, then perhaps I would give it more thought.

Oh, and by the way, I have been dabbling with Linux OS since 2000, I just don't like it that well.

If you don't like it that well then why are you bothering to bother others by mentioning it in the first place? (and then bothering to ask how you dippy cheap printer $110 can be hooked up)....might I suggest lightbrite or etchasketch for christmas?

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Well if you would have read the post... which you didn't regarding my printer. It does work in Linux, very well as a matter of fact.

What I meant was a program to use the printer to print custom DVD disc label and case label similar to Acoustica CD/DVD label program that I use in Windows. I have tried many other DVD label programs and nothing can hold a candle to Acoustica's program.

In the interim, I suggest you go back to whatever parallel universe that you accidentally slid over from, because in this reality we don't tolerate people who don't have a decent command of the King's English.

I don't know where you're from or whatever, but in this part of the US there's a saying that applies for people such as yourself and it goes like this:

¡En una boca cerrada, ningunas moscas entrarán!

;) :p

Reaction score
Check this out -- I just installed the latest version of Mint on one of my computers with the following specs:

1.0 GHz AMD Athlon
512 MB RAM
40 GB IDE hard drive
Nvidia GeForce 5200
21" Viewsonic CRT

What I did was wipe the whole machine clean (it actually had a Windows 98 partition on it), and I did a fresh install of XP, and Mint alongside it. I also had a spare network card, so I plugged that in as well, bought an extra Ethernet cable, and hooked it up to my router. Why? I guess because I can! My thinking here is that I would hate to see this computer relegated to the trash pile -- it's just not ready yet. It might be somewhat old, it might struggle to run Windows Vista or 7. But maybe it can still be useful for something?

Anyways, you're wondering how well does Mint run? To be honest, it seems to run almost as fast as XP does, on the same computer. Booting is normal, applications don't necessarily take forever to load, and you can even multitask a little. I think that's pretty impressive. Mint was extremely easy to set up, and it had no problems identifying the hardware. The emphasis on elegance and ease of use is clearly evident. Even the visual effects don't bog down this machine.

Now, does it absolutely scream? Well, no. This is a PC from the 98/XP era, mind you. Some things like video playback have always been less than ideal on this machine. Not only that, it did freeze up one time when it was trying to download updates. But other than that, it's been a relatively nice experience (all things considered). I'm looking forward to playing around with Linux again. It also feels good to have finally gotten around to cleaning up that machine -- it definitely needed it.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Oh you had to resurrect this thread? I hadn't read Nibs post before and I haven't had supper yet so now ...
Yo quero Taco Bell, sin moscas.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
I finally bit the bullet and took out my Virtualbox Mint 5 and installed Mint 9 in its place. All I can say is there is a definate improvement in the install and update process. I only had to use the Terminal to set up my Sharing Folder and for everything else, Package Manager worked like a charm.

Ask a Question