SOLVED Iomega w/W7

Reaction score
I am attempting to install my Iomega Prestige 1Tb HDD on my Presario w/W7. I power the HDD and get the solid light (good); however, when I plug the USB into the computer the light turns from solid to a rapid pulse and the drive is not recognized in "My Computer". I looked on the Iomega site and they claim the product is compatible w/W7. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Paul

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Leave the external hard drive turned on and reboot your computer, it should recognize it then.

Is the Iomega new? Has it been formatted?

Reaction score
If that doesn't work, right click Computer in the start menu, then manage, then select disk management and format the drive to NTFS. If there are any utilities on the HDD, you will lose them so see if Iomega offers them as a download (if there any utlitlies, and you actually want to keep them).

Reaction score
Nibiru/Cypress,
I attempted the reboot; the HDD still isn't recognized. The drive worked on my other computer (Desktop running XP) and I currently have files on the HDD. I also connected the HDD to my Toshiba LT running Vista (Home premium) and another LT running XP - all results are the same, the HDD is not recognized.

I bought the HDD and it worked plug n play. I'm not sure how I can format a disk that isn't recognized? While there are no error boxes there IS a reaction w/the light indicator once connected to the computer.

Reaction score
Go into disk management and see if the HDD is listed there. If it is, you need to format/initialize it.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you format all data would be lost. If you have files you need to recover then do not format.

Is the Desktop running XP still operational - could you try it on this unit?

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Go to: Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Computer Management - Disk Management. It should show up there. Then right-click on the disk and view Properties and see what you get from there.

This is another example of why people should just buy a standard internal hard drive and a third-party external hard drive case. Assemble the unit and go from there.

These pre-made external hard drive units many times come with proprietary software that can cause problems such as this. Also may be due to the electronics interface residing in the case itself, which may also be proprietary.

I wish you luck and hope you're able to resolve the issue.

Reaction score
No love; the drive is not listed in the Computer Management either. The old system the HDD worked on has a bad processor. I'm going to have to order another one and hope it gets here (Okinawa, Japan) relatively soon. I hope the drive is not a wash out. My next post will be "how to restore data" from a HDD that's not recognized!

I appreciate all of the comments and am very pleased that I joined the group. Although my problem has not been solved, I'm going to assume that the drive is bad - although I don't really think it is - and mark this thread as solved.

Thanks,
Paul,

Last edited:

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
?????????
Did you not read Nibiru's last post???

Forget about Iomega and their overpriced BS products.

"Burn me once, shame on you. Burn me twice, shame on me"

Reaction score
It worked on a desktop but not on laptops correct? do the laptops supply enough power from thier USB to run the device? I have an external USB HDD and it comes with two USB cables to give it extra power from two ports.

Edit. just re-read and saw you powered up device first so I assume it has it's own external power point.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I have read an issue regarding WD some external HDDs that require 1000mA USB connection instead of 500mA. I suppose it's possible the IOmega may have similar issues.

(on the other hand, my Logitech G15 keyboard goes nuts and starts showing items in the LED display reversed after about 5 minutes if I plug it into a USB connection with too much power)

Reaction score
The HDD does have it's own power; I'm having trouble getting the drive recognized on DT and LT. I really don't think there's an issue w/the drive; but as indicated earlier - there must be a software issue at hand. Wish I knew.

Thanks,

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
This drive gets overall 4 of 5 egg rating at Newegg.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16822186132

There are some issues with heat. The drive does not have a fan. It is possible yours has gone bad. Is it under warranty?

A couple of years ago I had a WD MyBook 500 get the same symptoms and it was just out of warranty. I had nothing to lose, so I opened it up to find a 3.5" sata drive. I installed it in a computer and it worked flawlessly. Still does. So in my case the problems were in the electronics of the enclosure and not the drive itself. Needless to say, I was thrilled to have not lost my data.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
The HDD does have it's own power; I'm having trouble getting the drive recognized on DT and LT. I really don't think there's an issue w/the drive; but as indicated earlier - there must be a software issue at hand. Wish I knew.

Thanks,
Try taking the hard drive out of the external case and hook it up to your motherboard's SATA connections and see if it works that way.

As Yodap stated, it may be bad enclosure electronics causing your issues.

Ask a Question