Iomega HDD usb drive incompatible with 64 bit Windows 7

Reaction score
When I try to run the Iomega installation cd I get a message that the drive is incompatible with Windows 7 64 bit. I was using it with Windows XP. Is there a work-around. I can access data on the usb drive but can not run automatic backups of system or data.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
rumin - it's not that the drive itself is incompatible with Windows 7 X64, it's the Iomega software that's at issue.

Have you checked on their website to see it a 64-bit version is available?

Is it the Iomega Quik-Protect software?

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, I realize that it is a software problem. The installations cd is simply called Solutions. I could not find any mention of a 64 bit version.

Reaction score
Nibiru2012 is correct. I have a Iomega Professional 2.0 tb. external hard drive. The drive works fine for me in Windows 7 Professional x64. The software from Iomega's website isn't Vista or 7 capable. Retrospect HD is only for XP. The Iomega Protect or whatver they call it will download, install and B.S.O.D. after a restart of pc. The drive itself will work and Windows 7's Backup has actually worked for me too. I've tested W7 Backup by deleting folders and letting it restore them from the Iomega external drive.

Reaction score
So, if I understand you correctly, the simplest solution is to rely on Windows 7's backup and use the Iomega hdd as the backup media. Not sure what Iomega Protect is, and what is BSOD?

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Iomega Protect is their version of a backup software... but it is terrible in most cases.

B.S.O.D. = Blue Screen Of Death

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
You're most welcome!

Hope it all works out for you!

Ask a Question