SOLVED Internet Explorer drops out for a few seconds ever few minutes

Reaction score
You're very welcome Anna.

Cypress, don't doubt TorrentG. It won't turn out well for ya lol.

Thank you very much for the support TM and Clifford. It's appreciated for sure.

Reaction score
I doubt its AVG. I've never had issues. Have you looked in Event Viewer for DHCP errors? You might need new firmware or drivers. Is the router configured properly? Your IP lease may be expiring too soon.
I never had any issues with Avg on my other (XP) laptop which is why I installed it on the new one. Maybe it doesn't like Windows 7?

Reaction score
I never had any issues with Avg on my other (XP) laptop which is why I installed it on the new one. Maybe it doesn't like Windows 7?
lol I think it's the other way around. Windows 7 doesn't like junk software installed on it.

Reaction score
By far, it is the greatest consumer OS I've ever had the pleasure to use. It is fantastic in all aspects across the board. You will really start enjoying it once you get used to its differences from XP and know your way around well.

Glad it worked out for ya.

Reaction score
Only slight glitch now is that it turns the wireless connection on my computer off when I leave it for a few minutes. Not a problem, I just click on it and it comes back, but it didn't do that before.

Reaction score
Only slight glitch now is that it turns the wireless connection on my computer off when I leave it for a few minutes. Not a problem, I just click on it and it comes back, but it didn't do that before.
Open device manager. Double click on the network adapters section. Right click on your wireless adapter and choose properties. Then go to Power Management tab. Uncheck the box for "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

Hit ok to save then reboot.

Fixed.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Anna I wasn't recommending F-secure to you, I was actually looking for TorrentG's opinion of it. I probably should have started a separate thread but I had hoped to just slip it in as an aside as I didn't feel it worthy of a thread.

I'm glad your IE is working and if you follow TorrentG's advice for preventing the network adapter from being put to sleep you will be fine there as well.

Reaction score
Oh ya, sorry about that. I meant to say something about F-Secure.

Honestly, out of the thousands of machines I've analyzed for crash dumps and msinfo32s, I have never even seen a machine with it.

That either tells you that it's not very widely used or machines with it haven't experienced any problems from it.

It probably is a little of both.

---------

Yeah, look at the graph here. I would say the F-Secure shares the "others" part of the graph with quite a few other antivirus solutions:

http://www.oesisok.com/news-resources/reports/worldwide-antivirus-market-share-report 2010

In the 2nd chart, it's only at 1.41% of the market share.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Open device manager. Double click on the network adapters section. Right click on your wireless adapter and choose properties. Then go to Power Management tab. Uncheck the box for "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

Hit ok to save then reboot.

Fixed.
did that but still cutting off, getting this message

Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

in the Microsoft Virtual wifi mini port adapter

Reaction score
Type msinfo32 in the start menu then press enter. File | save on the screen that opens. Then zip the saved file. Attach the zip to a post.

By doing this, I can see which drivers you need to install.

Reaction score
Sorry, I don't know how to zip. The programme was working before i unticked the box, now there isn;t a power management tab.

Reaction score
Right click on the saved file and choose "send to" and then "compressed folder".

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
To upload the file here you need to click in the "post reply" link just above and to the left of the quick reply box. The post reply box has more options including the paperclip which is how you will upload the zip file.

Reaction score
u can try these steps may help you
Basic IE troubleshooting always begins with clearing your temp files, cookies, and browsing history. To access your internet options go to your control panel and double click the icon labeled "Internet" options. Click the appropriate buttons to clear those items and try to load the program again.

If you are using IE 7/8 you can try to run the program without loading any add-ons to see if one of them is causing the problems. To do this, click Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools and then click Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).

(You can also load IE without add-ons by clicking START --> RUN and then typing iexplore.exe -extoff)

If those don't work try to re-register IEPROXY.DLL by clicking START --> RUN and typing regsvr32 IEPROXY.DLL and then clicking OK.

When IE dissapears does IExlorer.exe show in the task manager's list of running processes?

Have any toolbars or new sofware been added recently? If so and you are using Win XP you may want to try a system restore to a previous point before the changes were made or uninstall the toolbars completely. Also disabled all Pop-Up blockers to see if that has any effect.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
techreg, her IE problem is already fixed. Now she is just working on her wi-fi adapter.

Reaction score
Thank you everybody for your patience, I am learning, honestly, and it really interests me! This is for Torrent to look at when he has time.

Obvious when you think about it, I was tired!

Attachments

Reaction score
I thought I might try a system restore, but the only restore point showing is a couple of hours ago. I can't find my way to any other system restore points. Any hints?

Reaction score
I am a bit worried, I really can't find any more system restore points, I've searched eveywhere. In this case the problem is a tiny glitch, but what if it were a big problem? Should I start a new thread?

Ask a Question