SOLVED Internet Explorer drops out for a few seconds ever few minutes

Reaction score
I am using a Dell laptop and a Belkin g router.Windows 7 was installed by Dell, this laptop is 4 months old. My old Dell laptop using the same wi-fi connection works without this problem.

I have tried connecting with an ethernet cable and it is the same. I have also tried disabling the power saving mode, done a sfc/spannow scan which said everything was perfect, and something with msconfig which I have forgotten as i did it a few days ago when this problem began to get to me.

To give you an idea it has dropped out 6 times while I have been typing this, so I have to keep going back and filling in the words or parts of words I have lost while it was down.

You hardly notice it when uploading web pages as it goes out for 2/3 secomds. When I close a PDF file I always get the message "Int. Ex. has stopped working. Windows is looking.........................etc" and then it restores my connection.

I realise there are a lot of threds like this here and i promise I have read loads and acted on some, so hope to get some new ideas, thanks.

P.S. Dropped 10 times now!

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You say "drops out" and from what you are describing it sounds like your keyboard is missing letters as you type and you have to go back and fill them in - is this correct? When you type, for instance in this message box, your data is not transmitted to the internet until you hit submit so having letters/words missing after you type would likely be a local thing (such as a bad keyboard) not your wi-fi and router.

Does this behavior happen if you are using notepad or other software?

Do you have any toolbars installed in IE? Go to Tools \ Internet Options \ Programs tab ... Manage add-ons button Then see what toolbars and extensions are listed.

What anti-virus do you run?

Last edited:
Reaction score
IE drops out

I don't think it's a keyboard error as I can type emails in Office outlook with out any problems. Also the whole page freezes and goes cloudy if I'm not typing when it happens, then an egg timer comes on and in a few seconds it comes back, I tried hiding all the microsoft programmes and disabling everything else except my anti virus which is AVG. I thought of disabling that and starting in safe mode but one poster said this was a bit dangerous in Windows 7.

I have looked at what I have in IE and there are very few things listed, most are disabled. I will try disabling each one seperately and see if I can find anything which is affecting it.

The only hint is that I get the message in a box when I shut Adobe reader. Should I disable that? or maybe uninstall it and re-install it?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Reaction score
I thought of disabling that and starting in safe mode but one poster said this was a bit dangerous in Windows 7.
lol :) This is a great example of why not to believe everything you hear (or read).

That being said, your pc will thank you many times over if you uninstall AVG in safe mode using the tool found here:

AV Uninstallers - Windows 7 Forums

Then boot to normal mode and install MSE.

(You can boot to safe mode + networking instead of plain safe mode, to download and run the above uninstaller if you want.)

Reaction score
Thanks, but now I'm lost, what is MSE?

Also I did try to find safe mode and couldn't. I got as far as pressing F12 Boot options then I lost my nerve. Why did I ever change from XP? Quite a few people told me only to buy from Dell if they would install XP and I ended up with Windows 7!

Reaction score
MSE = Microsoft Security Essentials

You "ending up" with Windows 7 = teh w1nz

lol Don't lose any "nerve". You have w7forums on your side. Booting to safe mode is even less of a job and easier for your computer to do than booting normally.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
When you boot you only have a few seconds to catch the safe mode option. The key is F8, not F12.

And Dell has some issues (they have a black-eye a few years back from selling leaking components and sending out replacements they knew would also likely leak) but installing XP instead of Win7 won't solve them. Win7 will take some getting used to but it's a decent OS.

Torrent is telling you to replace your anti-virus, which can cause compatibility issues and system slow-down. I don't know this will solve your issue but it could help eliminate at least one unknown.

Reaction score
I am now in safe mode and I think I can type without and problems or dropping. I couldnt get f8 to work but i went the msconfig route. I will investigate further tomorrow and hope to remove my anti virus and try the mse route I'm afraid if I start now I will do something silly as I have been demented with this since 3pm (and previous days). I feel as if i am a whole lot further forward, this hasn't dropped once, thank you folk. I'll start again with a clean brain tomorrow.

Reaction score
If there's freezing as described and AVG is involved, sure it will fix the problem.

(That's why safe mode is working well.)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
TorrentG,

do you have any experience with the paid anti-virus F-secure? My friends ISP provides it for free but when I built his computer I installed MSE but he wants the F-secure back. The customer is always right, even when they are wrong, but the whole reason he wanted a new computer was because his old one was slow and I blame a lot of that on F-secure.

Also I was wondering if what you do for BSOD is something you could put in a tutorial, such as what tools you use and reference material, etc because that is something I would like to know how to do.

Anna,
Please let us know one way or the other if your problem is solved. Hopefully that fixes it.

Reaction score
I doubt its AVG. I've never had issues. Have you looked in Event Viewer for DHCP errors? You might need new firmware or drivers. Is the router configured properly? Your IP lease may be expiring too soon.

Reaction score
I doubt its AVG. I've never had issues. Have you looked in Event Viewer for DHCP errors? You might need new firmware or drivers. Is the router configured properly? Your IP lease may be expiring too soon.
AVG causes performance issues like no other major antivirus on the market, besides the possible exception of Norton. It enjoys creating disk lag and that is a very likely reason for the OP's problems to begin with.

Haven't you seen how the OP says it works well in safe mode + networking?

Reaction score
There are lots of other variables like I mentioned. You don't need to jump up and down and start yelling AVG is the devil and it should be removed and purged.

Reaction score
I don't think there was any yelling or jumping but it is the weekend so....lol.

If removing AVG fixes the issue, wouldn't it be silly of you to have posted the above?

Reaction score
AVG may have had nothing to do with it regardless if its been removed or not.
This is true, however AVG was an issue for my PC as I had similar freezing and was forced to uninstall AVG within 48 hours of installation. The only way to know for sure if AVG is an issue would be to uninstall AVG.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I don't think it will hurt anything for Anna to try Torrent's suggestion, he has a lot of experience with system errors and it costs her nothing to try it. Cypress, if yours is working then by all means it is your computer, do what works for you.

But when people come here for help we go on our knowledge and past experiences and we offer the best ideas we have. Hopefully we help a few.

Reaction score
I never heard of F-secure, sorry, I'm in Portugal. Also, thank God, I never had BSOD.

You guys are a marvel!!!! I took off AVG and installed MSE before breakfast, and it has worked all day! I'm so grateful, thanks a million. I will keep looking on this forum for ideas now.

Ask a Question