internet access xp laptop wifi x64 hardwired desktop

Reaction score
Hi all my first post, :)

:dontknow: I have a 32 bit laptop (XP home) with a netgear wifi card. A netgear router and a 64 bit win 7 pro desktop. (vertual xp installed as well replacing my previous worn out desktop).

I plugged in the cable from the router and the desktop fired up on the internet no problem.

I seem to have lost the WiFi internet access via the laptop. The router still recognises the IP address of the laptop through the router setup and cannot see anything obviously wrong

I accept i have been having issues setting up the local network ( but hopefully thorugh this forum have been able to pick out what to do)

The small tele in the bottom right hand corner of the laptop shows good strength but error messsage of limited or no connectivity comes up when trying run explorer

Is it worth bitting the bullet and installing the 32 bit win 7 (got both versions 64 /32 bit with the machine

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
If I'm understanding you correctly (install 32 bit W7 on laptop from the disk you got from the desktop?) then I would say no, that goes against the licensing agreement.

Maybe I wasn't understanding correctly though.

Is the desktop an OEM or did you build it?

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Do you have your wireless router secured with "wireless security" features such WEP or WPA or WPA2?

If so, you need to know the password to access the router?

If not, you shouldn't have any issues connecting. Did you set up the router yourself or did someone else do it?

Could you give us some more information? Thanks!

Oh, by the way muzzy, welcome to the Windows 7 Forums Website! :ciao:

Reaction score
Hi guys

thanks for the reply

firstly the issue at hand is the not being able to access the internet via the wifi card on the laptop. the upgrade to win 7 was a side bar question - thanks for the comment

Dont know if it will make any difference I did have the laptop hardwired for a while until my new desktop arrived and worked perfectly and also worked as Wifi through my previous desktop (XP Pro). Had full sharing and remote access working.

I have accessed the wireless setup via the desktop (desktop hardwired) and the laptop IP address shows up on the trusted access list. WEP encription is on and i have the passwords written down.
the TV icons in the bottom right hand corner show the router name and signal strength as excellent (laptop is sitting on desk next to router) the tv icon shows a "?" and a comment comes up l"imited or no connectivity"

Im going to go to Macdonnalds to see if the wifi connection works there. The direction of the question was to confirm there should be no issues between the server(64 bit win 7) and laptop (32 bit XP) in terms of operating platform and the router

thanks

Last edited:
Reaction score
UREKA SOLVED

I plugged the laptop back into the router by hardwire and it worked. It appears that when you do that it deletes the WEP encription setting from the WIfi. in frustration I then went through Xp wifi wizard and set up the access and low and behold it all appeared.

I would like to that those that have added theads with respect to file sharing as that was very helpful as well

happy days

Last edited:

Ask a Question