Indexing options.

Reaction score
I'm trying to do some tuning following instructions from Windows 7 essential guide type magazine.
It tells me to go start>indexing options>modify>select show all locations.

It's fine up till the last step where the "show all locations box is shaded and I cannot tick it. ????

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Hmmm, checked mine and the Advanced Option box can be selected. Have you tried re-building the index?

Reaction score
Not the advance option box. It's when you go indexing options>modify> show all locations. It's that last step that's shaded and cannot be ticked.

I can open the advanced option box ok.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Sorry, brain fart there , I meant to say the Show All Locations was clickable on my system. *blush*

Reaction score
:eek: Happens to me all the time, I think, maybe, but I forget.

Reaction score
Mychael try Everything instead of using Windows' Indexing. Everything is alot faster. Make sure you uncheck it running at startup. It works fine for me without running at startup and is faster than Windows Search is.

Reaction score
Yeah, got that in XP. Did not think to put it on here. I assume you mean 'search everything' ?

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
My weapon of choice!
I could not find an install copy, so I made a folder in Program Files (x86) and dumped the contents in there. Then I pinned in into the Start menu.
I don't know what the maths are to make it find things so quickly, but it works for me!!!!!

Reaction score
Yes, Search Everything. I'm running it on Win 7 x64 and it's definitely fast. I've got 7's Indexing turned off, as Search Everything find's whate ever I use it for in seconds.
Yeah, got that in XP. Did not think to put it on here. I assume you mean 'search everything' ?

Ask a Question