IE8 stops working

Reaction score
Not sure if this is an IE8 or Windows 7 issue (I've been using IE 8, with Vista with no issue, so I'm guessing it's related to Windows 7).

Anyhow, after a short time using Windows 7 (30-60 mins at a time) I am unable to download things via IE8 (for example Spybot Search & Destroy). I keep getting the message that Internet Explorer can't connect to the site to get the download or whatever. This pretty much applies to ALL sites once it starts happening.

I wasn't able to download Avast, S&D, or the drivers for my logitech keyboard/mouse, nor was I able to download the Live essential tools (email, messenger, etc).

I was able to after a reboot, but again, after some time, the same problem came back when trying to download other things. It's like I can download stuff for the first hour that windows 7 is booted, but after that it's hit or miss (with a bigger lean towards miss).

Anyone else have this problem? I've cleared history, cache, etc, and it doesn't seem to fix it, only a reboot does.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Is this on a clean install? It would be worth disabling all IE plugins and any 3rd party software that could interfere (such as AV software) to see if there is a conflict going on.

Reaction score
Yes, clean install. I'll try disbaling plugins and see if it helps. Its just odd, as it works once I boot up but within an hour or so, it stops working. I figured maybe it had something to do with something in the cache, so I cleared that too, and it never seems to fix it.

Reaction score
hi,

I had the same issue and all I did was reset IE8 in Internet Options and havent had any problems since. I figured I had a bad plugin that caused the cannot display and download errors etc....

hope this helps

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
IE8 is a mess. Do you experience the same issue using a different browser?

Reaction score
It worked after I did what brusse01 suggested, but after a bit, it started doing it again. IE8 works fine in vista, but like crap in Windows 7.

As far as I know it works fine with any other browser, I'm just too lazy to install another one right now since I'm still bouncing back and forth between vista and windows 7.

Reaction score
Seeing how you tried reseting to original settings

Im not sure what to tell you either - Ive not had any download trouble with IE8 - Ive been Beta testing Win7 for three months now. I have had occational IE8 lockup and some links blackening my whole browser window

Ask a Question