SOLVED How to remove Techsmith (Camtasia) codec??? HELP!

Reaction score
Okay, so I uninstalled Camtasia because it's TERRIBLE. Anyway, after deleting it's left over files and folders and registry entries, I came across that the Techsmith Video Codec is still installed. How do I get rid of this crap??? I was recording my screen with Windows Media Encoder, and it asked for which video codec to use, and the Techsmith one was there! I removed all the folders belonging to Camtasia but it's still there!

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
This is a good example of why a good uninstaller program is a necessity for some users. I recommend Your Uninstaller! Pro

Even with the trial version it will completely remove old programs and their traces.

Have you tried doing a search of the C drive for the codecs involved and seeing if you can delete them once found? You may have to "take ownership" of the files though.

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
What? Camtasia is an amazing screen capture/recording program. I've had a better experience with it than any other screen recording software. You might have just not configured it properly. I can't remember whether I have my codec set to the Techsmith one or one that I already have on my system. I know some people download and us an Xvid codec as their default for compression reasons...

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Hey Ace, I just took a quick look at your forum. Looks pretty good. When I have time I'll get back there and register and hopefully contribute.

Reaction score
I got it. That f***ing codec (lol) was in the System 32 SysWow64 folders. I deleted it from there, then used this little executable program called Sherlock that is the detector of codecs. Works very well, I must say.

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
"Sherlock"... I'm curious to look into that, i've never heard of it before. I was thinking on developing my own set of codecs in the future ;) Maybe I can develop something that is fast and reliable... You have a 64 bit machine though? nice :)

And thanks yodap :) Much appreciated, the community there is full of people that are willing to help out. The main reason why I keep my faith in our forum haha. But I really enjoy this community as well. Very friendly people around here!

Whenever I can share my knowledge and gain some, it's a win/win situation for me.

Last edited:

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
The site looks a bit too "in your face" to be taken as a serious application with all of those ads, be cautious of sites like that. Usually good software sites don't repeat that they have "No Malware!" or "No Spyware!" like that, but from the preview the application doesn't look bad at all. Those buzzwords generally create spam though. It's a known fact by Google itself as well. I learned all about it when I did research on some SEO for a few of my websites.

Something new to me though :) never knew this existed.

From what i've read so far "RadLight Filter Manager" seems to be the recommeneded one. If you ever have any codec issues you might want to check into that one as well instead.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It says for XP, it doesn't even make a claim anywhere that I see that Sherlock has ever even been tried on W7.

The way they worked that little NO SPYWARE! NO ADWARE! NO COOKIES! into the information doesn't really set off my internal warning bells but many sites that seem to go out of their way to point that out do seem quite dubious.

As I have posted numerous time before ... Make external back-ups a habit in case of disaster. Create a restore Point and scan all files downloaded with a good quality AV prior to installing any software downloaded from the internet.

Reaction score
Well of course it doesn't work on 7. I just downloaded it anyway, and it seemed to find that the Techsmith Codec was corrupt, and it told me its' location when you click on it on the left. It works for me, you don't have to download it if you don't want. :/

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I deleted it from there, then used this little executable program called Sherlock that is the detector of codecs. Works very well, I must say.
Well of course it doesn't work on 7. I just downloaded it anyway, and it seemed to find that the Techsmith Codec was corrupt, and it told me its' location when you click on it on the left. It works for me, you don't have to download it if you don't want. :/
"Works very well", "doesn't work on 7", "works for me" ... I find you very confusing. It was made for XP and the website makes no mention of W7 so I think my post was logical in questioning it's use in W7.

So did it work in native W7 or didn't it? 32-bit, 64-bit, or both? or did you run it in Virtual XP mode?

Reaction score
Okay I guess my reply was horrible lol. I meant that it isn't approved for Windows 7, I use W7 HP 64 bit and it's just an executable, it doesn't install or anything.

Ask a Question