How To Remove Scratches From DVDs & CDs

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I know that probably all of you, at one time or another, have come across a scratched CD or DVD. Whether or not it's a movie, audio CD, Windows Install DVD, etc. that has been scratched and it won't play or install properly.

I have found the solution and it's very inexpensive compared to so-called DVD/CD repair products on the market today.

These are products made by NOVUS, Inc. Website: http://www.novuspolish.com/

Product Uses are as listed:

• [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Plastic Storm Windows & Skylights [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Boat Windows & Fiberglass [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Auto Interiors, Gauges, Chrome, & Acrylic Paint [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Collapsible Windows on Convertibles & Sport Utility Vehicles [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Motorcycle Windscreens, Visors, Fairings & Helmets [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Snowmobile Windshields, Helmets, & Hoods [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Turntable Dust Covers, Stereo Faceplates [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Compact Discs, Video Laser Discs, & CD ROM's [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Acrylic Hot Tubs & Spas [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Acrylic, Fiberglass or Cultured Marble Tubs, Showers & Counters [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Microwave Oven Doors, Decorator Acrylic Refrigerator Panels [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Acrylic Aquariums [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Telephones, Pagers, Scanners [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Acrylic Trophies & Awards [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Plastic Display Cases & Signs [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Gauges & Instrument Control Panels [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Safety shields & Goggles [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Airplane Windows [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Salad Bar Sneeze Guards [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Video Games, Pinball Machines & Jukeboxes [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Copiers and Fax Machines [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Acrylic Furniture [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Cash Registers & Calculators [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Emergency Vehicle Light Bar Lens Covers [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Acrylic on Tanning Beds [/FONT]

The two products I'm talking about from Novus are:

1. Novus #2 Fine Scratch Remover
  2. Novus #3 Heavy Scratch Remover.

The following are the instructions for both products.

How to use Novus #2 Fine Scratch Remover

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Removes fine scratches, haziness and abrasions from most plastics. With repeated use, NOVUS No. 2 restores faded and discolored plastics. [/FONT]

• [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Removes the damage instead of filling it in[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Buffs out quickly[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] After restoring, seals with a coat of polish[/FONT]

1. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Observe condition of the surface to be treated. The deeper the scratches, the greater the pressure required to remove them. If the surface is dirty, clean with NOVUS No.1 before applying NOVUS No. 2.[/FONT]
  2. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Shake well. Test in an inconspicuous area.
    [/FONT]
  3. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Apply NOVUS No. 2 liberally. Using a clean, soft cloth, polish with a firm back-and-forth motion at right angles to the scratches. Keep the cloth saturated with polish at all times.
    [/FONT]
  4. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]When the worst scratches have been polished out, reapply NOVUS No.2 uniformly in a circular motion to the entire surface using short, circular strokes and light pressure. Allow to dry to a light haze.
    [/FONT]
  5. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Using a clean portion of the cloth, buff the surface to a slippery glaze using firm, short strokes. This procedure is imperative in achieving the best results.
    [/FONT]
  6. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]For heavy scratches, multiple applications of NOVUS No. 2 or application of NOVUS No. 3 may be required.[/FONT]

How to use Novus #3 Heavy Scratch Remover

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Removes heavy scratches and abrasions from most acrylic surfaces. Use when damage is too severe to be restored with NOVUS No. 2 polish.[/FONT]

• [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Requires use of NOVUS No. 2 for final finishing[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Not recommended for use on coated plastics
    [/FONT]

1. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Shake well. Test in an inconspicuous area.
    [/FONT]
  2. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Apply NOVUS No. 3 liberally. Using a clean, soft cloth, polish with a firm back-and-forth motion at right angles to the scratches. Keep the cloth saturated with polish at all times.
    [/FONT]
  3. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Continue polishing until only fine scratches remain. Using cloth, remove all remaining polish, this is very important!
    [/FONT]
  4. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Using a clean cloth, apply NOVUS No. 2 in a circular motion uniformly to entire surface. Polish using light pressure until NOVUS No. 2 dries to a light haze.
    [/FONT]
  5. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Using a clean portion of the cloth, buff the surface clean.[/FONT]

If one wants, they can use the Novus Plastic Clean & Shine for a final high gloss polish.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Gently cleans all plastics without scratching. Leaves a lustrous shine that resists fogging, repels dust, and eliminates static.[/FONT]

• [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Resists finger marking[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Contains no abrasives or harsh chemicals [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Leaves a smooth, clean, greaseless shine [/FONT]

1. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]If the surface is extremely dirty, apply NOVUS No. 1 liberally and wipe using long, sweeping strokes. Do not use pressure at this time or large dirt particles may scratch the plastic.
    [/FONT]
  2. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Re-apply NOVUS No. 1. Polish using short, circular strokes with a clean portion of the cloth.
    [/FONT]
  3. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]When surface is thoroughly clean and uniformly covered, buff to a slippery glaze with a clean portion of the cloth. Surfaces buffed to a high glaze are more resistant to dust and future scratching.
    [/FONT]
  4. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Reapply NOVUS No. 1 regularly to maintain the antistatic, smudge and scratch resistant properties.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Gently cleans all plastics without scratching. Leaves a lustrous shine that resists fogging, repels dust, and eliminates static.[/FONT]

• [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Resists finger marking[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Contains no abrasives or harsh chemicals [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Leaves a smooth, clean, greaseless shine [/FONT]

1. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]If the surface is extremely dirty, apply NOVUS No. 1 liberally and wipe using long, sweeping strokes. Do not use pressure at this time or large dirt particles may scratch the plastic.
    [/FONT]
  2. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Re-apply NOVUS No. 1. Polish using short, circular strokes with a clean portion of the cloth.
    [/FONT]
  3. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]When surface is thoroughly clean and uniformly covered, buff to a slippery glaze with a clean portion of the cloth. Surfaces buffed to a high glaze are more resistant to dust and future scratching.
    [/FONT]
  4. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Reapply NOVUS No. 1 regularly to maintain the antistatic, smudge and scratch resistant properties.[/FONT]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have used both the #2 & #3 plastic polishes to remove anything from light scratches to heavy scratches on my DVDs, this product works! It takes about 1-2 minutes per product and you have a DVD or CD that will now work with no issues.

I bought these in the small 2oz. bottle size. Here in Austin, TX at a local-owned hardware store the price was $3.50 per bottle. About $7.58 with tax.

These size bottle will last for years, you could do well over a 100 discs and have some left over. A little goes a long way.

Check your local hardware stores or call them at: 1-800-548-6872 for the distributor nearest where you live.

Reaction score
I use white toothpaste and rub in it with my thumb from center to outside of the disc in straight lines, to minimize grooves the would go parallel to the laser reading.

Then I run it under mildly warm water and continue wiping with thumb to clean off the toothpaste.

Works for discs not badly scratched with minor defects.

The Novus stuff seems cool.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
That product would be really good for making headlight lenses look like new. Over the years, a yellowish color begins to appear on them. I'll have to check that out, it's priced reasonably.

As for CD & DVD discs, if they can be replaced with new ones, with a download, I trash them and burn a new one. But in all of my years of using CD & DVD's, I've yet to wear one out, except those rewritable ones. After so many rewrites, they no longer hold data like they did when new. I guess that's why I avoid buying them any longer.

Cat

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
I use white toothpaste and rub in it with my thumb from center to outside of the disc in straight lines, to minimize grooves the would go parallel to the laser reading.

Then I run it under mildly warm water and continue wiping with thumb to clean off the toothpaste.

Works for discs not badly scratched with minor defects.

The Novus stuff seems cool.
I have used toothpaste in the past and it works okay for very minor, small scratches.

For the bigger deeper ones this Novus product works great!

If it's one of my DVDs and isn't usable, in my opinion it's better to spend 5 cents and 3 minutes of elbow grease than toss the DVD and burn a new one.

The MAIN reason I use this product is because I check out DVDs and CDs from the public library, which sometimes the discs won't play because of scratches and such.

The Austin Public Library has a HUGE collection of DVDs. All the PBS American Experience shows, all of Ken Burns documentaries, etc., All of the X-Files.

Let's just say I have nice growing collection....

Last edited:
Reaction score
Surely it is better NOT to scratch them in the first place, and treat them with more care. In my daughters house they leave them on desk and table tops, and even the floor face down, this is why I NEVER lend them a disc, I prefer to make them a copy.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Surely it is better NOT to scratch them in the first place, and treat them with more care. In my daughters house they leave them on desk and table tops, and even the floor face down, this is why I NEVER lend them a disc, I prefer to make them a copy.
Well, that goes without saying! But when a person has roommates or family members who don't respect stuff it can make it difficult.

This was just a way of offering a quick and simple fix to a problem that plagues a lot of people. Plus it's way less expensive than using the "repair kits" that are on the market now.

Ask a Question