How To Remove Recycle Bin From Desktop

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
To remove the Recycle Bin from your Desktop (UAC needs to be off) first type gpedit.msc in Start / Search

You will see gpedit at the top of search double click to open Local Group Policy Editor

In Local Group Policy Editor open Administrative Templates

Then click Desktop in the right window you will see Remove Recycle Bin Icon From Desktop

Right click on this and in the drop down click Edit, In the Remove Recycle Bin Icon From Desktop Window choose Disable

Now click Apply then OK and reboot your PC.​

Last edited:
Reaction score
On a sidenote, the Group Policy Editor is not available for Windows 7 Home Premium users. :(

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Yes. One wonders , sometimes, at the thought processes of the Microsoft final designers. Gpedit is only a GUI to the registry. It contains all the useful, and accessible, changes that can be made. It brings tears to my eyes to see advice on altering items (very dangerous for the inexperienced and experienced) when it could so easily be done and undone in the Group editor.What a great deprivation for the Windows home users, who could well be the majority.

For example, the tutorial here. How simple. To achieve it. To do the same the hard way:

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Explorer/Desktop/NameSpace
scroll down the list of very strange names
( Mine is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E})
and eventually , on the right, the recycle bin will appear. You then delete the entry.. A reminder, though, for the curious! that you best export the entry as it can be a nighmare to reestablish it!!

But, back to the thread. I suppose their are customisation fanatics (like me) who would want to delete the bin, rather than just make it vanish?

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Interesting guide!

Why not simply unselect the Recycle Bin icon from the Desktop icons panel though, wouldn't that be easier? :D

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Much easier! lol But, unfortunately, read the last line of my previous post

Reaction score
Here are 2 registry hacks that will hide the bin and show the bin. Does not require a reboot, simply refresh your desktop. Right click the reg file and choose 'merge'. That's it!

Attachments

Ask a Question