SOLVED how to remove a virus (specifically Security Tool, a bogus security client)

Reaction score
I bought an Acer Aspire 7540-1284 OS Windows 7
Home Premium 64 bit processor and 2 weeks later, I've got a bug named "Security Tool" which is a bogus security ploy that has shut down my computer. I can't logon - Windows will not start - and when I tried to do what's recommended, enter in Safe Mode via F8, find the culprit and rid my system of it, I can't. The screen loads Windows errors and goes straight to Startup Repair which tries to repair the problem and after a minute or two displays a message saying it can't repair the problem automatically. It lists the problem details and allows me to eventually get to System Recovery options page that lists 5 tools. Startup Repair, System Restore, System Image Recovery, Windows Memory Diagnostic, Command Prompt, and Recovery Management. I don't know which method is best. I want to delete the bug from the system, dl a diligent AV such as PC Tools Spyware Doctor and move on. I am no pro at such things and I perceive removing the virus can be difficult. Help

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums, rubysgem! Sounds like a reinstall is in order for you. System Image Recovery should do it. All brands are different as to how it's worded. It should take an hour or so. Did you click onto this security ploy? If so, beware of unsolicited offers. Should you need further help, post back. Too, once you're up and running again, download and do a full scan with Malwarebytes. It's a free app, and a good one for double layer protection, along with the AV of your choice.

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Yepper! Sounds like your system is F.U.B.A.R. totally!

I hope you have the install disc. If not we can guide you to where you can download the Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit DVD ISO image, which you can then burn to a blank DVD. You'll be able to use your current product key.

After a clean install, and loading the proper 64 bit drivers, install an AV or IS program immediately.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Yepper! Sounds like your system is F.U.B.A.R. totally!

I hope you have the install disc. If not we can guide you to where you can download the Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit DVD ISO image, which you can then burn to a blank DVD. You'll be able to use your current product key.

After a clean install, and loading the proper 64 bit drivers, install an AV or IS program immediately.
There is a recovery partition on there, rubysgem is new to these things.

Reaction score
I have had great success with these types of infections using either Kaspersky or Bitdefender boot disks. You have to start the repair process in DOS. Then when you can enter Windows run malwarebytes to finish the job.

It's a long process but it works.

Reaction score
catilley1092: it appears that either backup hard disk or final DVD from a backup set is required after all - according to Windows 'Re-image Your Computer' screen that finds no system image on my computer.
roban: I'm staying as far as I can from what worked for you as long as I can
THANKS to both...still pressing my way

Reaction score
catilley1092: it appears that either backup hard disk or final DVD from a backup set is required after all - according to Windows 'Re-image Your Computer' screen that finds no system image on my computer.
DO NOT reformat your system yet. You can still back up your files that you want saved! Get a Linux LiveCd and boot it up choosing the option to try linux without installing
( http://www.ubuntu.com/ ) , once booted into ram and your on the desktop, you should be able to goto "Computer" through the places tab and find your drive mounted with all of your files on it. Back up what you need and then you can attempt locating the virus and deleting it if you want too.

At what part of the startup process does your computer stop and not work at? ( for example after trying to log in ) As for recovering your System I highly advise it. Here is a website that should get you started.
http://www.shivaranjan.com/2009/05/2...-system-image/

Another option is using a bootable anti-virus cd ( and heres a website for that )
http://devbuilds.kaspersky-labs.com/devbuilds/RescueDisk/
download and burn the iso

I hope this helps

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
How old is your computer? Did it come preinstalled with Windows 7? If so, all that I've seen has a recovery partition, as well as a way to create reinstall discs. Did you create these discs? If not, you will have to find a disc that is the same as yours, reboot and reload that way. Then after fully updating, do a through scan with Malwarebytes. This is the disc you need, do a Bing search, lookup "X15-65733.iso" without the quotes. It will be a 3.0GB download. Use ImgBurn, no faster than 8x, that will give you the disc you need to reinstall with. Make sure you have your COA# on hand.

Last edited:
Reaction score
That's what roban suggested.

This thread has gone south... gets the computer infected but wants a miracle to occur and problems without any effort. Meh!
Sorry I guess I missed that, yes I agree it has gone south. I tend to miss things as the threads get longer and longer. But anyway it is a good idea, I have made things right by thanking roban :D

Reaction score
my computer's a few weeks old now catilley1092 - there was a restore partition and my comp's now clean, & AV equipped - malwarebytes website is a godsend for the ignorant (that's me)

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
my computer's a few weeks old now catilley1092 - there was a restore partition and my comp's now clean, & AV equipped - malwarebytes website is a godsend for the ignorant (that's me)
Glad to hear everything worked out for you, rubysgem. Anytime you need further assistance, feel free to come back.

Ask a Question