how to allow one user program to run?

Reaction score
I have an old program and I need to run in my Win 7x64
When I run it, the user account control will give a warning dialog box:
User Account Control: Do you want to allow the following program from an unknown publisher to make changes to this computer? yes/no

the program name: dailyscreen.exe
publisher: unknown
file origin: hard drive on this computer

How can I make this computer to recognize this program and do not keep asking this same question everyday for every system in this entire office floor?

Thank you.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
<right click the .exe.
Select popeties.
Select the compatibility tab.
Select xp SP3
Bottom left, mark the file run this program as Administrator.

Reaction score
You might also want to turn off User Account Control, and it can be done by going to start menu -> click on your user thumbnail -> Change User Account Control settings -> and slide the slider to "Never notify", so that it never notifies of anything.

I think the whole UAC is useless.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
You might also want to turn off User Account Control, and it can be done by going to start menu -> click on your user thumbnail -> Change User Account Control settings -> and slide the slider to "Never notify", so that it never notifies of anything.

I think the whole UAC is useless.
Turning off UAC isn't a good idea. Imagine a software is downloaded without you knowing; it can run, and you won't even get to know that!

Reaction score
Turning off UAC isn't a good idea. Imagine a software is downloaded without you knowing; it can run, and you won't even get to know that!
How's possible that I survived with XP, without UAC and without viruses? UAC is (good?) for keeping an eye on what users are doing (if you're an administrator), but if your the only user on a computer, UAC is nothing.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I never use the UAC, it's an P.I.T.A and basically useless. If one has a good AV and firewall, then there should be no issues.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Most anti virus programs, including the, for the moment, controversial MSE, will alert you if this happens.

View attachment 1168

imo UAC has no ant virus capabilities, it is merely a text warning which, unfortunately, most users ignore with a single mouse click.

Last edited:
Reaction score
thank you for all your responses.
We have set the XP compatibility tab on and off, the user account control warning still comes.
No, we do not wish to turn off the user account control for all programs. We just want to turn of this particular program which we use everyday all the time by everybody in the office here.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
thank you for all your responses.
We have set the XP compatibility tab on and off, the user account control warning still comes.
No, we do not wish to turn off the user account control for all programs. We just want to turn of this particular program which we use everyday all the time by everybody in the office here.
And did you select run this program as Administrator.

Reaction score
yes, we have selected the tab "run as administrator".

still the user account control do not recognize this program from "unknown" publisher.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
<in that case read Nibiru's post, with which <I totally agree.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It's an office environment so you really need to leave UAC on for the added extra security.

As for setting "Run as an Administrator" works, the only difference is that it asks for permission immediately rather than at the point in the code where it tries to access a UAC protected area.

I am not aware of any way you can selectively set UAC to work for unknown programs but ignore the use of known programs. This really would be a nice feature but to my knowledge it doesn't exist.

Which means they must authorize each time, sorry.

Reaction score
well, lo-and-behold, another group of computers in next floor, same Win 7, same set up User Account Control (to 2nd from top), but this same program can run using same short cut without any UAC warning dialog box? What gives?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The only thing I can think of is maybe the users on the other floor have been given Full Control and Read, etc in the Permissions of the folder where this is writing? Can you ask the network administrator for that floor what privileges he set up for them?

This is network administrator stuff, of which I am no expert. Basically the users get assigned to a group and then on the effected folder right-click and pick the security tab, choose edit, and you either add the individual users or, more likely in an office environment, these people have all been assigned to a GROUP and you add the group to the security permission and check the tabs for Full Control, etc (But generally not Special Permissions).

If you get that far then, back on the executable they are having trouble with, try it without "run with administrator privileges" set and see if that works. If not, then try with it checked and see if they get the click OK permissions box.

If it is the registry they must have permissions to, then this may help but I personally don't understand it all. This also has good pictures of the permissions windows I was talking about above. This is Network Administrator stuff and they get paid big bucks because this crap is so complicated...
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/...ot-import-and-access-denied-error-in-regedit/

Last edited:
Reaction score
wow, now we understand why.
all we have to do is put this program in C drive.
then, the shortcut will execute without this warning dialog.

well, after running this for awhile, the same problem comes back.
Now, we have to click the dialog panel every time we run the program. Everyday, every time, all the time. What a hassle. Thank you Microsoft.

Last edited:

Ask a Question