SOLVED How do I remove XP Recovery Concole.

Reaction score
Hi, Let me first thank you for allowing me to join this forum. I have searched the web for two days for an answer to this small but annoying problem and have got nowhere. I have been installing OS on my home built computers for over ten years now but this has stumped me. After I clean installed Win 7 Ultimate on my wife's XP Pro computer I find at boot up that the old XP Recovery Console entry is still on the boot menu. I have tried several partition and boot menu tools but none show the entry to give the option to delete it. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Trev

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Open Msconfig and look under the startup Tab. You may see the entry there and can delete it.

Reaction score
Hi Dave and Cliff , yes, already had tried both EasyBCD and msconfig but no good, What Ive done for now, to stop wife from bugging me, was to set timeout to 0 so box boots straight into OS. Thanks for your time and will come back later in case someone else finds or knows a remedy, Cheers

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Go into the Windows Explorer - Tools - Folder Options - View. Change the option to show system files and folders. This should now show, if not before, the boot.iniBcdedit does not show settings from the boot.ini file.Edit out the offending setting and you will boot withoutstopping at the boot manager, as it did before.But what you have done has sorted the problem anyway - well done!

Reaction score
Hi there

You can remove the recovery console without any problems. I have removed it in the past myself from XP machines. What you have already done is one way around it, but if you want to remove it completely and you are unable to resolve it by any of the methods above which has been recommended to you then you can follow these instructions below.

First I need to check to see if a file is present or not on your system.

Download SystemLook from one of the links below and save it to your Desktop.
Download Mirror #1
Download Mirror #2

• Double-click SystemLook.exe to run it.
  • Copy the content of the following codebox into the main textfield:
    Code:
    :file 
    Boot.bak
  • Click the Look button to start the scan.
  • When finished, a notepad window will open with the results of the scan. Please post this log in your next reply.
Note: The log can also be found at on your Desktop entitled SystemLook.txt

Reaction score
:confused:People people people, First, please read my post carefully again. I state, " After I CLEAN installed(sorry, should I have said Custom or No Dual Boot but as you people should have known, "you can not upgrade from XP, only CLEAN install") Win 7 Ultimate on my wife's XP Pro computer I find at boot up(Win 7) that the "old XP Recovery Console entry" is still on the boot menu (should I have said "Win 7 boot menu) .:confused: Your suggestions seem to involve a XP OS not Win 7.

:)Cookieman, already tried SystemLook but that came up empty as it is for earlier OS's. Also I never upload any logs or detail involving my machines to anyone, period. No offense Mate.

:)Thank again to you Dave and cheers Mate

Reaction score
Funny this!
I did a clean install of Win 7 Ultimate to a disc that had XP on it and this didn't happen.
Is it possible that there is an XP (hidden) Recovery partition still on the disk and W7 install is reacting to it?

Reaction score
:) Geoffers... that is a good question, it only shows up on Partition Master under disc explore but nowhere else can I find it to delete it. Attached is a pic of the explored disc and it shows two files. I opened the first in notepad(boot.sdi) and tried to delete it by "select all" then delete, I was then asked to save it and was informed that the file already exists so I saved it in another place in case it stuffed up Win 7 Boot and hoping this might be a fix but with no effect. The second file(Winre.wim) could not be opened period. Cheers

Attachments

Reaction score
People, I think this thread is closed as no one has come up with anything that I have not already tried so what I am going to do know is format the drive(as I should have done in the first place) and start all over again. Thanks to all

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Sorry I'm late here but my husband had the exact same problem and the only fix was ,unfortunately, to do as you are...re-format the drive and reinstall Windows 7

Ask a Question