How do I reduce sensitivity of my laptop touchpad?

Reaction score
It is really unproductive when I do not attach an external mouse to my Dell laptop, and, the cursor moves about like it was crazy, and, disrupts text that I would have typed quite fast, because I am a certified typist used to the QWERTY keyboard.

How do I work around this issue and reduce sensitivity of the touchpad? I have installed Synaptics TouchPad drivers, but have not yet found a good option for this.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
I have the same problem and I've never been able to figure it out. One imperceptible swipe of the touch pad and the text is foobared. It's causing marital problems in my house.:(

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Control Panel > mouse may offer options for "Tap" which can help (if you don't have these options you may need drivers/software from the manufacturer that would put them there). Or you might try "Touchpad Freeze" (See option #2 HERE). Or you could try Touchpad Blocker.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
I downloaded the driver from Dell. When installing, I got the message that the same version was already installed. Curious! This time I chose to overwrite the installed driver and now I have the tab (Control Panel>Mouse>Dell Touchpad) to make all the adjustments I want to the touch pad.
If the driver was already installed.............:confused:?

Thanks for saving my marriage TM

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I'll add "saves marriages" to my resume skills list :p

Hopefully jon80 finds the right drivers for his as well.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Note I have the same problem with my Toshiba notebook. It seems just the slightest brush of the touchpad can send the cursor across the page. So I just disable my touchpad (Fn + F9) and use a mouse instead - which I much prefer anyway. Of course, for real road-warriors, lugging around a mouse (in addition to the notebook, power block, extra battery, etc.) may not be a viable option, but is something to consider.

Ask a Question