Hotmail was down for over two hours Thursday Sep 8, 2011

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
hotmail seems to be going up and down and even when up, after the login screen it tells me live.mail.com not found.

So I am thinking mail for many, including myself, will be spotty at best.

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
Same issue here. I've sort of got used to Live Mail telling me it cannot connect to yahoo mail. But at the moment it's the only one it can connect to!

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
I stopped using Hotmail in the late 90's specifically because I could never count on it being up and running. It was frequently down for "maintenance" or just the hell of it.

Reaction score
I've never used Hotmail as my primary email program but I keep it as a handy back up place for some emails I want to keep but don't want to leave in my main email program.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well the nice thing about web-based mail is that you can reference it even if you are at someone else's computer.

I notice they didn't mention it but even www.msn.com was down for a short period but it was back up by the time I posted my issue here about hotmail.

It was probably the U.S. government testing some of their plans to take control of the internet if they feel the need. Let me go get some tin foil, I need a bigger hat.

Last edited:

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
"Well the nice thing about web-based mail is that you can reference it even if you are at someone else's computer."

I think this came up before. I can only speak for the country in which I live, but here, all the ISPs, who also all have Email facilities, have a means of accessing your mail boxes direct from that ISP. I use Live mail to access other mail services, sucjh as Microsoft's, otherwise I would have no need for any "third party" software.
Obviously, from reading threads such as this, it is not the case elswhere?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Yes I too, can access my ISPs mail via their website but then just like hotmail it is handled and treated like web-based mail. Later when I get home and open outlook it downloads it and it is removed from my ISPs servers.

But in 10 years I have had 4 or 5 different ISPs while my hotmail address has stayed the same. Plus I maintain 3 different hotmail accounts so that, for example, my subscriptions never go to the same as my bank account.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Small variation there. I can select the option as to how long I want my ISP to keep my mail before purging.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
I am very picky about my email solutions. For the last 11 years I have used my own domains for email correspondence. I never use those crappy email services that my ISPs offer, because I don't like changing my email address each time I change ISPs.

I also prefer IMAP over POP, so that I can search for specific emailed info on my phone, netbook, or through a web interface. Furthermore, I am a hoarder when it comes to email: I have rar'd up 2 gigs worth of emails from the previous decade in my archives, and my current email load is nearing 4,000 emails.

Part of the reason I prefer IMAP is that I reformat and reinstall Windows and Linux distros on my hard drive fairly often, and backing up emails downloaded via POP3 every time would be a pain in the ass.

Ask a Question