Help with install please!

Reaction score
Hello, I'm sure someone can help, my head is spinning! I have windows xp but runs very slow, did all the upgrades, ram and graphics card, runs okish only to find out it support is ending! did a windows 7 upgrade advisor and it gave me the ok problem being not sure what to do! My xp files are corrupted I think so need to install win 7 from scratch, don't have my xp disc to repair any missing files so I assume a clean install is required! Not sure what to do now, do i need sp1 or not where is a safe place to get my download from! could do with Windows install for dummies! P's transferred all my files to laptop so pc has nothing on there I want keep ( pics,video and music etc)

Last edited:

Shintaro

Reaction score
Why do you think your Windows files are corrupt?

Someone here might have the location of the DigitalRiver ISO's. Of course you will need to have your serial number.

Here are the links to the Windows 7 ISO's. Again you will need your serial number. I think they have SP1 already installed.

Have a look at the Articles.
Then if you still need help, please ask.

Reaction score
Ran a program Said there were missing files on my pc and corrupted tried to reinstall but told me was unable to! But as xp support is ending not worried just want to start from scratch!

Will I need to purchase a key, and where from!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Buying just a key from anyone but Microsoft / Digital River is unsafe because you can easily be scammed (may work for up to 90 days and then suddenly show up as invalid). Your best option is to buy an upgrade copy (disks and license key) of Windows 7 from a reputable retailer. And since upgrading from XP to W7 is a complete custom install the current state of your XP files won't much matter.

What could matter and is possibly the cause of your computer's current condition, may be a virus or a hardware problem. I would encourage you to scan and deal with any viruses. It is also possible your hard drive could be failing and system files are being corrupted, that would continue to be a problem even if you upgraded so it is important to rule that out as well.

Reaction score
thankyou trainableman , you can most probably tell not very good with pcs getting better in the past 2 weeks. A little run down of my problems pc ran very slow even on start page when i would select start would take about 1 - 2 mins just to bring up programs , internet was just a joke could b hanging around from 5 to 20 mins for a page to load upgraded my ram from 512mb to 1Gb (was 2 but put one of the cards in wrong and buggered it up , pc ok) i am now flying around folders deleting all old pics after transfering to laptop , tried internet still slow but only have to wait about 5-10 seconds , also installed a new graphics card , not sure if i should of but at first took the step of starting via nfts does that make sense ?

Reaction score
ps that didnt help so went down the upgrading route which seems to have helped ! but it is still starting in ntfs mode .

pps how do i check the hard drive is ok ?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The "very slow" is why I suggested you run a full anti-virus scan - slow is a common symptom.

I don't know what "NTFS mode" is. The only NTFS I know is a file system, it controls how files are stored & indexed on the hard drive. Are you saying you reformatted your hard drive as NTFS?

Reaction score
No, from what I remember I installed file converter as recommended by someone so it starts differently most probably safe mode. I think you can set it to go back but you need the xp disk which I thought i had but can't find! Have I formated my drive?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Apparently, you can convert to NTFS without backing up and reinstalling but you can't go back to FAT without backing up and reinstalling. Source.

Reaction score
that sounds right , am i buggered or can i just install windows 7 and start afresh !

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I'm still concerned about a possible virus. Do you have an anti-virus software installed and have you run a complete scan?

As for installing Win7, what are your system specs: how much RAM? How big is the now-NTFS hard drive?

Reaction score
avg is running now 45mins in , 2 items found 2 being bitlord , RAM i have 1Gb upgraded from 512mb did have 2 -1Gb but put one in the wrong way and burnt one of the connectors so just 1Gb , memory total is 73Gb available is 38Gb considering ive deleted most stuff seems low !

Reaction score
Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor Report
Computer Name:
Operating System: Windows XP Media Center Edition
CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.93GHz
Memory: 1.0 GB
Information about upgrading to 32-bit Windows 7
System
Details

Custom installation required
You'll need to perform a custom installation of 32-bit Windows 7 and then reinstall your programs. Make sure to back up your files before you begin.
Go online to get important information about installing Windows 7 on a PC running Windows XP

Outlook Express
This program is no longer included in Windows 7. You can get similar programs for Windows 7 from other software manufacturers.
Go to the Microsoft website to learn more

More info from Gateway
Gateway has a website that might give you more information about getting Windows 7 running on your PC.
Visit the Gateway website

Windows Aero support
Your graphics adapter supports the Windows Aero user interface.
Go online to learn more about Windows Aero

CPU speed: 2.9 GHz
Your CPU meets the 1 GHz minimum requirement.

1.0 GB of RAM
Your PC meets the 1 GB minimum requirement.

Media Center Extender is compatible
Your Media Center Extender is compatible with Windows 7.

38.4 GB free space available on C:
Your hard disk meets the minimum requirement of 16 GB free space for 32-bit Windows 7

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
To be honest I wouldn't upgrade that computer. 1GB of RAM is the bare minimum for W7 and only 38GB of free hard drive space would be gone in a heartbeat. It would probably be cheaper, as well as more practical, to buy a set of XP disks off eBay and use your current XP license.

Reaction score
what about the lack of support in april , main reason i am getting it up and running again is for my son , who is 8 he likes to play minecraft , and i want to download nessy ( learning program ) to help him as he suffers with asd and is struggling in school . can add another 1Gb of ram( and put it in right ) pc wont be used much only for browsing on internet for homework !!!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Lack of support merely means there won't be updates when new security flaws are identified. If you continue to run a good anti-virus software and avoid dangerous websites then it should be fine.

Reaction score
so it would be worth me purchasing avg instead of using the free version , any idea where i could get windows xp and what i need to look for specifically .

Reaction score
so it would be worth me purchasing avg instead of using the free version , any idea where i could get windows xp and what i need to look for specifically .

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Before buying AVG or any A/V software, check with your ISP and see if maybe they offer something free. But if not then the free version is probably fine as long as you also run Windows Firewall.

As for Windows XP, simply type "windows xp professional" into ebay. Aviod OEM versions such as those printed with DELL labels. And I think with your hardware you should avoid 64-bit, you should use 32-bit. Also, try to get a version with SP3 but if you don't then be sure to download the SP3 update from Microsoft & burn it to a DVD before service ends

Ask a Question