Hello everyone. My name is Ed

Reaction score
Hello everyone. My name is Ed and I joined the forum because I am comtemplating the jump to Windows 7. I have a desktop with XP on it and a laptop with Vista on it.
Because I've been having some problems lately on the XP machine, I thought that it would be best to do a total, fresh install. I think that if I was to format the hard at the same time, then there'd for sure be no left over issues from before. I know that I'd need to reinstall MS-Office, and would have to arrange for My Documents to be saved and replaced, but can anyone think of other things that I will need to consider and prepare for to make the transition to Windows 7 as smooth as possible?

Also, I understand that there are 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows 7. Just checking, but do you have to make that selection as you purchase Windows 7 or do you get the choice to install it as 32- or 64-bit from the same purchased box of Windows 7 software?

My desktop currently just has 2 GB RAM and if there are no other limitations that would prevent me from installing more, I'd like to. Does anyone know if it's the motherboard that would typically be the limiting factor in how much RAM a person could install?

I've never been part of a message board before, I hope that I'll be able to give as well as receive suggestions in here.

Thanks in advance,
Ed.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Hello edstorgeoff, welcome to the Windows 7 Forums website! :ciao:

If you buy either the retail Full version or Upgrade version of Windows 7, they both will come with both the 32 bit and 64 bit version install discs. Therefore you'll be able to install either version. Also, with the Upgrade version you CAN do a full clean (custom) install of Windows 7, many people have done it and you'll save some money.

Go to the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to download and install the advisor program, it will run and tell you whether you'll need 32 bit or 64 bit versions will run on your computers.

If your desktop is 64 bit capable and since you have 2GB of RAM, I would recommend installing the 64 bit version, it utilizes the RAM better and the kernel is more secure in 64 bit.

Since your laptop is running Vista, it's probably a 64 bit capapble machine too. Just run the Windows 7 Advisor on both machines and it will tell you all you need to know.

You wil need to download the Windows 7 drivers for whichever version you decide to go with. Store the drivers on a thumb drive, external hard drive or burn them to a CD-RW and you'll be good. Be sure to do this for your printer, scanner, etc. too.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Howdy Ed.:hello: Welcome.

Reaction score
Hi edstorgeoff - Welcome to w7forums

I moved you to a thread of your own.
Everyone deserves a thread of their own. :)

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
edstorgeoff, welcome to the forum! I hope you'll enjoy your stay here, and find what you need here. This is a great place to learn, and there's many members here willing to help anyone in need. Should you ever have problem, or simply have a question, always feel free to post.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Hi edstorgeoff! I was reading your original post over again, and it appears that Windows 7 should run on your laptop, being that you're running Vista on it. But the desktop with XP concerns me a little. It sounds like you're ready to move forward, and I'm glad to hear that. However, there's a chance that you may need to upgrade some hardware for Windows 7 to look good on that desktop. I have a laptop, designed to run XP, I have Windows 7 on it, it functions well, as far as the way it runs and all. It has 2GB RAM, too. But the screen appearance won't look as good as your laptop with Vista does. Computers that were made to run XP doesn't have what it takes to have the Aero screen, something you do have on your laptop. There are others here who are far more knowledgeable about hardware than I, but usually, your video card needs upgrading, at the least. It's not a very expensive part. And you had a question of your own, yes, your motherboard has to do with the amount of RAM that you can install. I upgraded mine recently to 4GB, that's the max it will take. That was something that I felt you should know, not to discourage you, but to let you know what to expect, because I've been down the same road (and still there, on my laptop). It shouldn't cost you a lot to do the upgrades to your desktop to make 7 look good on it. If you have any questions, always feel free to post back, we'll do our best to help you get 7 on your computers.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi Ed and welcome :), I'm sure you will like Windows 7 its a world better then XP and Vista is no contest.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Ed - in order to have the function of AERO on your desktop is quite simple really. You could always update your video card, not to the latest and greatest, but one within the last 3-4 years or so of release. Plus many of the computers built to handle XP have good enough video cards to run the AERO features.

AERO is not that demanding of an application by any stretch. Usually it's the older laptops that suffer because the lower-end graphics chips installed in them to keep heat to a minimum.

You have plenty of RAM.

Ask a Question