SOLVED hello everyone!!

Reaction score
hey all! i just registered to this forums since im plannin to get win 7 very soon. i have xp now and i really dont like to change to win7, but since everyones got it im changin too. so what win 7 should i get? i mean... ill get ultimate but i dont know x86, x64, 32 bit, 64 bit or 86 bit.:confused: i have 3,5 gigs of ram so...whats your advice, what should i get? oh and yeah, im not very happy with the change to win 7 coz its too modern. i cant find anything there(on win7, i dont know where is my computer, my documents etc.) :( so if anyone can suggest me some kind of xp theme for win7... i mean, id have windows 7 but it would look like xp. is that possible? if yes please tell me! :) and since im new to the forum i dont know how to make a poll, :( so if admins could make a poll (x86, x64, 32 bit, 64 bit 86 bit) id appreciate that! thanx!! :D

Reaction score
Hi Reznov - Welcome to w7forums

x86, x64, 32 bit, 64 bit 86 bit
The only two options for bit version are 32-bit(x86) or 64-bit(x64).

x86 = 32 bit
x64 = 64 bit
there is no 86 bit

Windows Editions:
  • Home Premium
  • Professional
  • Ultimate

Two thread that will help you choose:
  1. Choosing which edition is right for you.
  2. Choosing which bit version is right for you.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Before you make the leap it is also a good idea to check your hardware and see if it is supported. Download the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor, turn on all your hardware and then let it scan for potential hardware and software issues.

Some older printers or scanners, for example, have only 32-bit drivers and so to use them you will need the 32-bit version or you might try W7 64-bit and a Virtual XP environment to run them. In my country the prices of a printer/scanner are so cheap it's often easier to replace it.

In general I recommend 64-bit unless you absolutely must have 32-bit for a special piece of hardware etc or if you only have 1GB of RAM (2GB is borderline). You mention you have 3.5GB, it is even quite possible you actually have 4GB but 32bit just can't reference it where a 64-bit OS would use all 4GB.

Unless you need the extra features of Ultimate (such as multiple language support or bit locker) then I don't recommend it because of the added cost and not just the cost today but also if you upgrade to W8 the cost then because you need Ultimate again or face a full reinstall. A more detailed version comparison is available HERE.

Reaction score
Before you make the leap it is also a good idea to check your hardware and see if it is supported. Download the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor, turn on all your hardware and then let it scan for potential hardware and software issues.

Some older printers or scanners, for example, have only 32-bit drivers and so to use them you will need the 32-bit version or you might try W7 64-bit and a Virtual XP environment to run them. In my country the prices of a printer/scanner are so cheap it's often easier to replace it.

In general I recommend 64-bit unless you absolutely must have 32-bit for a special piece of hardware etc or if you only have 1GB of RAM (2GB is borderline). You mention you have 3.5GB, it is even quite possible you actually have 4GB but 32bit just can't reference it where a 64-bit OS would use all 4GB.

Unless you need the extra features of Ultimate (such as multiple language support or bit locker) then I don't recommend it because of the added cost and not just the cost today but also if you upgrade to W8 the cost then because you need Ultimate again or face a full reinstall. A more detailed version comparison is available HERE.
this is my hardware:

so i should get 64 bit (x64)? but whats the main diffrence between 32 and 64 bit?
o yeah nad my graphic card is GeForce GT230

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
We cannot see your machine to make the decision but there is no reason to go with the older 32-bit technology unless your hardware or software have an issue and the upgrade advisor will ferret out those issues if they exist. It's free, you can download it and run it today.

Read the article Clifford mentioned about 32 or 64 bit.

Reaction score
We cannot see your machine to make the decision but there is no reason to go with the older 32-bit technology unless your hardware or software have an issue and the upgrade advisor will ferret out those issues if they exist. It's free, you can download it and run it today.

Read the article Clifford mentioned about 32 or 64 bit.
well i remember someone said there are programz that can run only on 32 bit so... okay ill get 64 then. thanx

Reaction score

i tried the windows 7 upgrade advisor. here are the results:

i said before im interested in xp mode, so i clicked the link on the bottom and i got this:

i dont really understand the virtualization error, so this is what i got when i clicked the link:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/support/configure-bios.aspx
so how do i check? plz? :)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
well i remember someone said there are programs that can run only on 32 bit so... okay ill get 64 then. thanx
Correct, very old programs written in 16-bit code cannot run in 64-bit. Advisor would tell you if it noticed any but if you have any very old games that are 16-bit then they won't run in 64-bit without a virtual environment such as XP mode.

Based on Advisors report:
You are almost out of space on your C drive and you won't have enough room to install W7 unless you move about 20 GB of data to another drive; personally I think you will want closer to 40 GB free.

Verify the TP-Link part # on your wireless adapter is TL-WN721N and if so then your driver is located HERE. It is a good idea to download the latest driver (TL-WN721N_100629) before you install W7, put it on a thumb/flash drive, and have it handy during the install.

It looks like Far Cry 2 has issues with W7 and from what I've read, even if you can get it to run you may have trouble trying to download maps and also problems connecting to servers. I don't know how well this will run even in Virtual XP but it may be your best shot.

Microsoft .Net 1.1 has been superseded by 2, 3, 4 so not a concern.

You may have to do without or find replacements for the HP Utilities. It is likely stuff that came with your computer or a printer and may not even be things you use.

Upgrade Steam.

Microsoft recommends you enable hardware virtualization in your BIOS to run a virtual environment. For HPs, from the link they gave you ...
Microsoft said:
*Depress Esc key when prompted at startup
*Depress the F10 key to Configure BIOS
*Scroll to System Configuration using the arrow keys
*Select Virtualization Technology and depress the Enter key
*Select Enabled and depress the Enter key
*Depress the F10 key to save and exit
*Select Yes and depress the Enter key
*Fully shut down (power off), wait a few seconds, and restart your computer
so you would likely want to do that if you install a virtual environment. Supposedly Virtual PC - XP mode (which is available free to Professional or Ultimate versions but NOT Home Premium) does not require Virtualization in your BIOS BUT if you have the option you may as well use it as I would assume it might make it run faster.

There is no mention of anything that would only work in 32-bit so I recommend the 64-bit.

Also, did you have your printer/scanner, external HDs, etc turned on? Because I see no mention of those but if you forgot to turn them on it wouldn't know. You should run the advisor with ALL your hardware turned on.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Correct, very old programs written in 16-bit code cannot run in 64-bit. Advisor would tell you if it noticed any but if you have any very old games that are 16-bit then they won't run in 64-bit without a virtual environment such as XP mode.

Based on Advisors report:
You are almost out of space on your C drive and you won't have enough room to install W7 unless you move about 20 GB of data to another drive; personally I think you will want closer to 40 GB free.

Verify the TP-Link part # on your wireless adapter is TL-WN721N and if so then your driver is located HERE. It is a good idea to download the latest driver (TL-WN721N_100629) before you install W7, put it on a thumb/flash drive, and have it handy during the install.

It looks like Far Cry 2 has issues with W7 and from what I've read, even if you can get it to run you may have trouble trying to download maps and also problems connecting to servers. I don't know how well this will run even in Virtual XP but it may be your best shot.

Microsoft .Net 1.1 has been superseded by 2, 3, 4 so not a concern.

You may have to do without or find replacements for the HP Utilities. It is likely stuff that came with your computer or a printer and may not even be things you use.

Upgrade Steam.

Microsoft recommends you enable hardware virtualization in your BIOS to run a virtual environment. For HPs, from the link they gave you ...

so you would likely want to do that if you install a virtual environment. Supposedly Virtual PC - XP mode (which is available free to Professional or Ultimate versions but NOT Home Premium) does not require Virtualization in your BIOS BUT if you have the option you may as well use it as I would assume it might make it run faster.

There is no mention of anything that would only work in 32-bit so I recommend the 64-bit.

Also, did you have your printer/scanner, external HDs, etc turned on? Because I see no mention of those but if you forgot to turn them on it wouldn't know. You should run the advisor with ALL your hardware turned on.
yeah, i have alot of junk on my C, and im sure i can clean at least 30 gb

ill get that update when i install win7

well i dont really like far cry 2 multi, so thats gonna be okay

about the microsofts quote... i do that after i install win7 right? at the first startup? shouldnt i download xp mode from the internet first or it comes on the win7 installation disc?

okay, final decision is 64 bit

yeah i had my printer and my external 930 gb on and it didnt show any problems about it

tomorrow im going to the seaside for liek 10 days, so my last visit on the forum will be tomorrow morning and ill get win7 when i come back home and maybe read new posts. if im lucky i might find an internet cafe and log on to see new posts ane everything

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
about the microsofts quote... i do that after i install win7 right? at the first startup? shouldnt i download xp mode from the internet first or it comes on the win7 installation disc?
Everything about Virtualization can be done after W7 is installed. If you want to use Microsoft's Virtual PC - XP mode then you will need W7 Professional or Ultimate. Enable Virtualization in your BIOS. Download Virtual PC - XP mode from Microsoft. When I did it I needed 3 files after your install you should be at SP1 so it looks like all you'll need are the first two.

Also, when installing games under Windows 7, I recommend not letting W7 put the games under folder "Program Files (x86)", instead create a Games directory such as C:\Games and install them in folders under that. Newer games won't care but some older games which try to create .INI files or load maps etc right in the games folder will often run into issues because W7 treats the Program Files folder as a system area and tries to prevent writes except on install.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Everything about Virtualization can be done after W7 is installed. If you want to use Microsoft's Virtual PC - XP mode then you will need W7 Professional or Ultimate. Enable Virtualization in your BIOS. Download Virtual PC - XP mode from Microsoft. When I did it I needed 3 files after your install you should be at SP1 so it looks like all you'll need are the first two.
but what is bios, something ill have to download? or is it automatically installed with win7? im sorry if im annoying, i just dont know anything about win7 :D

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Your BIOS is the Basic Input Output System built into your computers firmware. It is not part of any OS, it is encoded on the motherboard firmware. You access the BIOS settings by hitting a special key in the first couple seconds of a fresh boot.

You can see a preview of what to expect in your BIOS by watching this [ame="[MEDIA=youtube]sMc5ukMguEo[/MEDIA]"]youtube video[/ame].

Sometimes the manufacturer will put out a BIOS update to fix a bug or add a feature and this would be found on the manufacturers site.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your BIOS is the Basic Input Output System built into your computers firmware. It is not part of any OS, it is encoded on the motherboard firmware. You access the BIOS settings by hitting a special key in the first couple seconds of a fresh boot.

You can see a preview of what to expect in your BIOS by watching this youtube video.

Sometimes the manufacturer with put out a BIOS update to fix a bug or add a feature and this would be found on the manufacturers site.
ooh i know that screen when starting up. thanx !!

Ask a Question