SOLVED New guy. Conexant High Definition Audio - This device cannot start. (Code 10)

Reaction score
Hi there - new guy here, and not very technically oriented.

I recently upgraded to 7 on my laptop. All was working fine until I developed some sort
of major melt-down of the OS whereby the laptop would instantaneously shut down with no notice whatsoever.
Sometimes I would get a very quick "blue screen", but mostly just whammo - gone! The operating time got shorter & shorter before shutting down, until on start up it would simply shut down again even before you could hit f8 for other options. I eventually got it to start in a system restore mode, and after many reboots & MS update attempts it seems to be back to normal.
Except for the issue whereby the laptop has no sound at all. Could this possibly be related to the MS update, or maybe switching Skype audio from system speakers to headset. Anyway, Skype audio still works fine via the headset, but there is no sound at all from the laptop for any other functions.
When I check the Sound/Video Controllers it shows a Connexant High Definition Audio icon with a little yellow "!" in the icon, which I guess means "problem". When I click on this device is gives the message "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"

Any suggestions, guys? Sorry for the length of the post.

Reaction score
HardenFast~

Lets go at this one by one as see if we can get your issue solved for you.

You said " I upgraded to Win 7" .... Did you do an UPGRADE or full wipe and install .. ?? YES it makes a difference on how your system will perform.

You also mentioned that you did updates via Windows Update(WU) did you do driver installs as well .. that could ALSO be the cause of you sound issues..

Just because WU RECOMMENDS updates doesn't mean they should be downloaded ,, especially for hard ware ,, such as sound card, vid card , etc. you SHOULD ALWAYS get your drivers from your manufacturer ether if be for an in independent card in a desktop.. or for from you computer manufacturer ( in your case the latter since you have a laptop).

As far as the Skype issue .. i cant honestly give you a honest answer to that .. i don't use it .. never really have .. i use mostly Yahoo and Windows Live Messenger.. and if Skype is anything like them .. if you don't have to correct drivers .. they wont work correctly ..

With the Yellow ! my guess would be is that the drivers didn't install correctly OR in some where in your sound properties .. something isn't set correctly . I would lean more toward drivers since you said you did Windows Updates.

Just somethings to look at.
If ya need any more help don't hesitate to ask.
~LoneWolf

P.S. some extra info might help as to the make and model of you laptop and such ..

Reaction score
Many thanks Lonewolfmage.

Let me see what I can tell you...

1/ The Win7 "upgrade" was a full re-format of the disk and complete new installation of the Win 7 OS, not just an upgrade. Apologies for any confusion. However, this laptop has two separate hard disks (not a partitioned single). One drive is used for the OS and other programs and the other is reserved for data storage. Not sure whether this makes any difference to diagnosing the problem, but it made it much easier for the reload as I basically didn't have to backup or reload any data.
2/ Didn't do any separate driver installs. It seemed to auto-find everything it needed upon start-up, and the sound was working perfectly for a couple of weeks before the big crash. Nothing after that.
3/ The laptop is a HP DV8000

Not sure whether that helps to further define the issue?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Greetings~

Harden~

Thanks for the additional information.

I just re read your original post to make sure i got everything right.

You also mentioned (in part)"The operating time got shorter & shorter before shutting down, until on start up it would simply shut down again .."

To ME it sounds like there are SOME Possibles

1) Driver Conflict.. try getting the drivers for your components in your laptop DIRECTLY from HP . As I mentioned already sometimes the WU or Just general Windows updates have "issues". Its USUALLY best, if they are available, to get the drivers directly from the vendor of your components.

2) Not impossible but highly improbable, would be an almost immediate overheat issue when you boot up your machine. It you laptop seems to get warm .. like REALLY WARM .. i would suggest the possibility of a cooling pad WITH fans that run constantly.

3) you also said that it has 2 separate drives, I'm guessing one is an internal and you are using an external Drive for data storage. Could also be the possibility that one of your drives is faulty.

If it were me I would try the Driver issue FIRST , its the easiest to do at this point.

Just some suggestions.
~LoneWolf

Reaction score
Thanks again Mr Wolf.

I managed to solve the problem by locating & reinstalling the correct Conexant HD Audio module - although it took several attempts & restarts to complete the process satisfactorily.
As a matter of interest for you, the laptop has two separate internal drives rather than one internal and one external.
Anyway, all is now well (apparently) and your help was/is much appreciated. I also think you may be correct on a potential over heating issue, so I'm going to check out the cooling pad idea as well.

Reaction score
HardenFast~

Your welcome for the help.

I did look up some specs about your laptop .. may have been looking at the wrong page(s) but I didn't see anything with that laptop saying it had to SEPARATE hard drives installed..

Which is whay I was pondering the fact of an internal and and external Hard drive ..

And yes even with correct drivers .. sometimes it DOES take a few reboots for things to go "correctly" especially if you dont uninstall the old drivers .. ENTIRELY .. and then install the new drivers..

Which is why I lean for vid card with Nvidia.. they now have an option to do a clean install.. with their installers...

Some drivers DONT uninstall themselves too cleanly..

Again glad you got your issue solved and glad to be of help.

~LoneWolf

Ask a Question