hardware power consumption

Reaction score
I have 2 old PCI cards in my PC that I may use once a year if that. My question is; if they are left in the PCI slots, do they still draw power even though they are not in use. Is it the same as a TV, Radio or any other electronic device left plug in to AC outlet, which still draws some power.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yes, they will still draw some power - but it's probably a very very small amount in comparison to the rest of your PC. If it's something like an old 56k modem, firewire or SCSI card then it probably only adds to a few cents of electricity per year.

Out of interest, what are the cards - as it may be possible to find out how much power they consume (approx).

Reaction score
As Ian said, if they're not in active use, they can't be drawing more than a few milliwatts of power. Even a $700 super GPU only uses 5W of power when it's not in use, so you can only imagine how little a dinky PCI card draws. :)

Reaction score
Thanks...I was thinking along those same lines. I rarely use them and was thinking of just removing them. They are V92 fax/modem and TV tuner card.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
The tuner may draw some more since it is an active radio "receiver" but still, receivers draw much less than transmitters - so if your concern is electricity costs, I would not worry about it.

Ask a Question