Foreign Languages

Reaction score
hey guys, just a recomendation, i think its a good idea, have forums in other languages, i see a lot of people, that their language is not English

bye!! =D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
That's an interesting point Mauriciog87 :) Are there any other users that would be interested in a foreign language section of Windows 7 Forums?

Reaction score
Does l337 count as a language?
Lets all communicate in binary - LOL

What would be the purpose of the language section?

1 - Would this prove confusing to have issues posted in different languages?
2 - Would this section be to discus the different languages?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
The way I imagined it would be to have a single foreign language W7 section with Sub-forums for a few major languages - but I'd only implement it if there was a large need for it as I'm guessing there will be some other W7 forums in French/German/etc... :)

James M. Fisher

Geezer
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
You would have to have it moderated by someone that could speak that language or at least have an idea of what the posts contain. Otherwise, who knows what is being discussed! ;)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
You would have to have it moderated by someone that could speak that language or at least have an idea of what the posts contain. Otherwise, who knows what is being discussed! ;)
Yep, that's a good point! :D

There doesn't look like there's a huge need for this at the moment as no-one replied, but if we get lots of people searching for W7 forums in a different language I can look in to setting it up in the future :)

Reaction score
Hey guys!

Great idea but totally agree with having a moderator. My dad is over my house and bought a new notebook with win 7 home premium installed last Sunday. Since he's so used to windows xp, I foresee big problem for myself (he will call me almost every week to help him). Having a forum in (Brazilian) Portuguese would be a dream come true for me. I wish I could have the time to be the moderator of the first Brazilian forum. Just out of curiosity: how much time is needed to be one?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Great idea but totally agree with having a moderator. My dad is over my house and bought a new notebook with win 7 home premium installed last Sunday. Since he's so used to windows xp, I foresee big problem for myself (he will call me almost every week to help him). Having a forum in (Brazilian) Portuguese would be a dream come true for me. I wish I could have the time to be the moderator of the first Brazilian forum. Just out of curiosity: how much time is needed to be one?
Thanks Tropics, I'll keep that in mind if we do add foreign language forums :)

There's no set amount of time required to be a moderator, but regular access helps. It may only take a few mins a day to keep things running smoothly, it just depends how busy things get.

Reaction score
Trouble with different languages is that only people who spoke those languages would be able to interact!
My guess is that most queries would go unanswered.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Good to see you again Geoffers :)

Yep, that is a potential problem - so I'd only create separate language forums if there were enough members for it (plus it would only be 1 general category per language). We'll see how things go once Windows 7 becomes more common place.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I have never seen the idea mooted before. Interesting conception. But I feel it would detract from the English speaking section. Best stick to questions, answers and solutions in the principal language. No disrespect to the members/readers who cannot understand English too well, but I am certain they will find forums in their chosen languages if they Browse. I speak one of the lesser used scandinavian languages (My home) and have no difficulty finding forums in that language.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I tend to agree with davehc on this issue. Absolutely no prejudice towards anyone in search of help, but most countries where Windows is distributed has their forums, where they can communicate properly. How many of the moderators here are able to interpret dozens of languages? And it would be a distraction to the forum, as well. I'm open to new ideas, but this one most likely would not work out.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
One other idea. On that "other site", it is linked to googles language translations. The end result can sometimes be basic, but conveys the sense of the query. I am not sure of its true value, though, as the helpers would also have to work through the translation system and would probably find it too much bother??

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
On the Languages front, does anyone know of some good W7 forums for other languages? If so, then you could at least maybe make a sticky post with those forums linked within it.

For example, you'd have the following:

French/Francais : URL here
German/Deutche: URL here

ect

Reaction score
For example, you'd have the following:

French/Francais : URL here
German/Deutche: URL here
Thats a good idea. :)

However I would not have a clue if the sites were worth linking to. It might not be wise linking to a trashy site. Maybe a special clause stating that we do not know the conditions of the sites that we are linked to and are in no way promoting them over others.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
I tend to agree with davehc on this issue. Absolutely no prejudice towards anyone in search of help, but most countries where Windows is distributed has their forums, where they can communicate properly. How many of the moderators here are able to interpret dozens of languages? And it would be a distraction to the forum, as well. I'm open to new ideas, but this one most likely would not work out.
Agree, and would not other countries have there own Windows 7 Forums ?.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I have jst had a second take on this.
Isn't this possibly a waste of space?
Any , for example, German, on this site, would be looking for help here. He would hardly be likely to be trying to look for a link to a site in his own language??

Ask a Question