SOLVED "Flash Drives Access Denied in Win7 "

Reaction score
Hi,

Could someone help me with my problem?
I cannot access my flash drives in my win7 home premium netbook in normal boot, but in other computers (XP, VISTA, or WIN7) it is accessbile....
My netbook shows a notification "Access Denied" every time I plugged any flash drives in my USB ports..
I am the only User/Administrator account in my computer.
I also tried to boot it in SAFE MODE and I was able to access any flash drives I plugged in my USB ports normally.

In normal boot the only flash drive that I can access normally is my Apple Ipod Nano 3G...
I have also tried to system restore at the event 1 week before the problem occured on my usb ports....
Problem still exist....
I have also reinstalled my chipset drivers....

My netbook is: Asus 1201n
Window 7 Home Premium
2gb ram ddr2
250gb HDD
Intel Atom 330
Nvdia ION

Any suggestions on how I can fix it?

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Are you wanting to boot from the USB flash drives?

Are you saying that plugging in the flash drive that you can't open it in a window?

You state:
I cannot access my flash drives in my win7 home premium netbook in normal boot
Have you checked your BIOS settings for the netbook?

Reaction score
I cannot open any removable drives aside from my Apple Ipod Nano because whenever I plugged any of my USBs, a notification shows up " Access Denied "

I have also check my BIOS settings but I see no irregularities...

I don't wish to boot from my USBs.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
This must be a setting specific to your netbook. Are you sure there isn't a setting in the BIOS to allow USB flash drives to be recognized?

Have tried tech support from the maker of your netbook?

Not too many of us regular members here use netbooks, let alone laptops, so tech support may be your best best. I have never seen a laptop or a desktop not allow access to a USB flash drive.

Reaction score
The problem of my Access Denied in my laptop just occured last week and until now I still cant open those removable drives aside from my Apple Ipod Nano.

I have consulted the Asus Service Center last week and until now I am still waiting for their reply in my email.

Every time I tried to plug in a removable device such as a flash drive on my USB ports,
First a notification shows up:
"You need to format the disk in drive (letter): before you can use it."
Even you format it or not problem still exist...
Second upon successful requested to format my USB by the computer a notification shows up upon opening the removable device in the explorer (My Computer)
" (letter):\ is not accessible. Access is Denied. "
When you checked the properties of the removable device, "General tab" it shows:
"0 bytes"
When you checked the properties of the removable device, "Security tab" it shows:
"You do not have permission to view or edit this object's permission settings."

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Did you check your Administrator privileges regarding the USB drives and give yourself full permission or access?

Reaction score
Could you please teach me on my Windows 7 on how I can check the Administrator priveleges regarding the USB drives?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I suggest you check if it is blocked in your registry.
Follow the information HERE setting the value to 3.

This is a handy regedit for businesses to prevent their staff from inserting flash or portable drives brought from home.

If this solves your problem please go to thread tools and mark this thread SOLVED. If your setting is already 3 then let us know so we can keep trying.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have installed USB Password Protect Software by Secure Stix as written in http://www.howtodothings.com/computers/how-to-disable-usb-flash-disk-mass-storage-devices-only v3.6.1

After the installation of the software on my computer, I backed up first my registry, then proceed in editing
" HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE folder then SYSTEM >CURRENT CONTROLL SET > SERVICES >USBstor "

First I tried it to change it to "4" to check if the software is working...
It works, Windows wasn't able to detect the flash drive that I plugged in.

So then I changed the value back to "3" again as you said...
Windows was able to detect the flash drive that I plugged in.

Unfortunately the problem still exist and still no progress... :(

First a notification shows up:
"You need to format the disk in drive (letter): before you can use it."
Even you format it or not problem still exist...
Second upon successful requested to format my USB by the computer a notification shows up upon opening the removable device in the explorer (My Computer)
" (letter):\ is not accessible. Access is Denied. "
When you checked the properties of the removable device, "General tab" it shows:
"0 bytes"
When you checked the properties of the removable device, "Security tab" it shows:
"You do not have permission to view or edit this object's permission settings

I have also tried to use LockHunter to check if there are software conflicts or restrictions from my processes

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Just FYI: I was not recommending the password software from that site, just the registry tweak. It appears from what you said that your computer does see the flash drive it just can't read it.

Is this a new flash drive and if so where did you buy it? How is it formatted, FAT32 or something else? Have you actually written information to the flash drive and then read the information from the flash on other computers? Have you tried multiple flash drives or just the one?

On eBay, etc. there are numerous vendors selling hacked chips which pretend to write but are actually worthless.

Reaction score
Any Flash Drive I tried to insert in my USB ports won't work. I have tried multiple flash drives that work on other computers (XP,VISTA, OR 7). Some where bought at Amazon and some are bought here at our local stores.

Don't worry I had never tried to insert a flash drive from ebay....

At the explorer folder ( My Computer ), the name of the flash drive wont come out... It only shows Removable Disk (drive letter):\
upon clicking its properties:
"General tab" it shows:
"0 bytes"
"Security tab" it shows:
"You do not have permission to view or edit this object's permission settings

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I suspect it is either antivirus/firewall software or some other 3rd party software.

Please install & run Process Explorer and go to File ,,, Save As to store the txt file of everything running; then come back here and hit the Post Reply button so you can use the advanced options to attach the file.

Reaction score
Have you checked your drivers are upto date 'chipset' from asus?

just guessing as i think its the only thing you have not mentioned doing yet.

Reaction score
As what I have mentioned on my first post, I have reinstalled successfully my chipset drivers. But problem still exists......

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I would check your ESET ENOD32 software settings to see if it blocks external flash/HDs.

Asus Webstorage is on your netbook - what I find interesting in my Antivirus actually blocks thier main website asuswebstorage as malicious. There are at least 2 exes running on your machine related to this online storage service - do you use it? Could it be controlling your drive access because of it's back-up control? Perhaps delete this application?

Is there anything in your Connectify software to block external flash/HDs in case you are used as a w-ifi hotspot?

Is it possible you used Soluto to remove a boot app you really need?

Also, I doubt it caused this problem but it's possible KMService registry cleaner removed a registry setting that is important. We recommend the freeware CCleaner which we know is safe for registry cleaning.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank You guys for your time...

I have found out that it was my ESET NOD32 Antivirus was the cause of the USB problem....

Ask a Question