Firewall missing

Reaction score
:( Someone deleted my windows xp firewall, is there anyway to retreive it??
Please help THANK YOU.

Reaction score
Hi Munkie - Welcome to w7forums

What do you mean your firewall was deleted?

Was your firewall un-installed?
Was files deleted and now your firewall does not load?
Was the firewall simply disabled and you are not sure how to enable it?

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Long time since I used XP, but, can you not reenable it through the Control Panel?

Reaction score
Hello, I am not exactly sure what happened, but when I go to the control panel to bring up firewall, it says, Windows Firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associated service is not running.
Do you want to start the Windows Firewall /internet connection. I press yes.
It says, Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall/ Internet connection sharing (ICS) service.
I am not sure what I should do.

P.S. I don't know what happened to the links you have sent me, they disappeared.

Last edited:

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
In control panel / all control panel items can you see this and if so click turn windows firewall on or off (turn on) >

Reaction score
Hello, Thank you for responding. My control panel bar at the top does not look like that.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Veedaz may have inadvertently assumed you are using Windows 7, as you have posted here. (I believe the picture is Windows 7?)

Open the Control panel. and click the Windows Firewall icon. You will see an item there, simply On or Off. Of course, you should be on!
If, when you select ON, you get an error, try this:
In the Run box on the start menu, type services.msc after a small wait, a list will appear. Scroll down to Window Firewall. If it says disabled or off, then double click it. Now, in the next window, put it on Automatic. back out and restart your computer. Go through the first procedure again and see if your firewall is now working.

I am doing this from memory, so you may find some text differences as you work through these instructions. -

Reaction score
Hello, I do not have windows 7.
I tried what you suggested in the run box, it says, could not start the Windows Firewall / Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service on local computer.
Error: Access is denied.

That is how my firewall looks although I cannot bring it up.
Thank You for all information.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi Munkie

What service pack is your XP and is it XP Home or XP Pro, one more thing what Anti Virus and other protection are you running ?

Reaction score
Hi, it is xp home, the anti virus is Super antispyware, & registry patrol.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
OK Super antispyware can you run this is safe mode please (tap F8 at system boot, go in to Safe Mode > Desktop and run Super antispyware just to see if it comes up with anything).

Reaction score
Hi, Ok I went into boot safe, here are my options..
Safe Mode - Minimal
Safe Mode - Networking
Safe Mode - Directory Services Repair.
THANK YOU SOO MUCH for the awesome response time, you people are great!

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Do you not have just safe mode ? (see picture) try Safe Mode - Minimal to access Super antispyware (safe boot is a part of Super antispyware)

Reaction score
Hi, I tried safe mode, still no access to firewall.
What should I do when I am in safe mode? Thanks so much!

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
When your in safe mode you cant start Windows Firewall because you need services running, but you can start Super antispyware so give it a run and see if anything is found, one other thing do you have or any one else using the PC installed a 3rd party Firewall ?

Reaction score
Hi, I did give it a run, nothing to be found. No third party firewall.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi Munkie

Can you please have a look in Services just to see if Windows Firewall has been taken off auto ?

Type services.msc in Run, hit enter/or click OK scroll down to Windows Firewall highlight with one click and on the left you will see its status.

Reaction score
Firewall fixed

:DHello, I figured out how to get the firewall back.
I went to the Microsoft fix it 50203. This is an automatic fix it.
THANK YOU ALL for all your information.
All the best in 2010. :):hello:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Munkie, be sure, now that your firewall is in place, to check "Don't allow exemptions" in the Windows Firewall control box.

Last edited:

Ask a Question