SOLVED Firefox 4.0 Beta 10 - what's wrong with it?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I've been using FF for quite some time, since the 3.5RC was released. Ever since then, I'd always make the next beta of FF my default browser, with no issues. Until 4.0 Beta came along. It's at Beta 10, and the screen just doesn't look right, it's not clear, some of my addons isn't compatible with it, and it's moving at a snail's pace.

Is it just me, or is it that way for everyone? Am I missing an important addon? I realize that it's still in the Beta stage, but I feel it should look better by now.

Cat

Reaction score
I installed it some time last week and the start page took forever to load. We're talking over 20 minutes. After that I uninstalled it and went back to Firefox 3.6.13. If the Mozilla doesn't do some serious fixing soon the final version of Internet Explorer 9 will beat it being released. IE 9 RC is extremely fast and stable right now. That includes the 32 & 64 bit versions. The only gripe I have with IE 9 RC x64 is that AI Roboform and McAfee Site Advisor don't work in it. However, that's not Microsoft's fault/ It's AI Roboform and McAfee's for not getting with the times. P.S. Yes, I'm using the current version of AI Roboform that came out last month and was updated again last Thursday. The version is 7.2.2 .

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
I don't know. I tried to move to 4 a couple of months ago, but my experience was not as smooth as it is with 3.6, so I went back. Frankly I don't see a reason to switch to 4 right now. Try again when it's officially released; until then, expecting it to work right is unrealistic.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I agree, I don't expect everything to be perfect, but it's at version 10 of the beta. IE9 Beta has made strides faster than FF has.

So, I'll continue to use 3.6.13 until it gets better. I'm sure that the Mozilla team will get things right, then I'll convert to 4.0.

Cat

Reaction score
I've switched to FF 4 since bèta 6; never had any major problems with it.

I use the following addons: xmarks, download status bar, adblock plus and facebook toolbar. Never had any problems with it.

It works way faster than FF 3.6 ever did; start page doesn't load forever here (tested on three different wireless networks), and I personally feel comfortable with the new lay-out.

I think Mozilla did a great job, can't wait for the official version to come out! :)

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I have it installed on my desktop, and keep it updated. About once a week, I'll use it, to see what it looks like, and what features have been added. For such a huge project, I agree that it'll take some time for everything to be right for daily usage.

Ever since adopting FF as my main browser in the last spring of 09, when it was 3.5RC, I've never looked back, except on one occasion. There were widespread reports in the Linux community that a component of FF made the user vulnerable to Remote Code Execution, in particular a thread still active since 2006. For about a week afterwards, I used IE, but after further researching, I resumed using FF. Remote Code Execution can occur with any browser/OS, the outcome of an attack is dependent upon the skill of the attacker, and the security posture of the user during this time.

I feel that Firefox is as secure as any browser on the market, and will continue to use it as long as I see that it's that way.

Cat

Reaction score
Well, from last four yeas, I'm using FireFox and it is working fine.. Currently I'm using FireFox 3.6.??? and brows sites very smoothly... While the Beta version are not so good... I had installed Beta 4 version two months ago and after two days it started crashing ... Then I un-installed it and again installed 3.6... And quite happy with it..

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
So am I. However, in previous beta versions of FF, I used them as my default browser, and was comfortable in doing so.

4.0 is moving along, just not quite as fast as it was planned. However, 4.0 is a major undertaking, as IE9 is. Right now, as far as looks are concerned, IE9 RC has the upper hand. A very streamed upper portion of the page (even better than the IE7 days, when it was my only browser), along with excellent graphics for an RC of any browser. I was actually using it some, during visits to the TechNet site, but after an upgrade, it began freezing, when I was downloading some programs. Been cautious since, but still dabbling with it.

Right now, I'm happy with FF 3.6.13 (as my default browser), but when 4.0 is no longer a beta or RC, that's when we'll see what the real deal is. Hopefully, it'll look & function really good.

Cat

Reaction score
oh thank god, I thought I was just going nuts with this new beta thing. Every other page I hear a microsoft error sound, and this message pops up.

Any idea what it could be?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
ErrorMagnet, I done some research on this, using a Bing search on the error in your box, it seems as though it's a FF issue, but have found no definitive answers to the issue. I can only assume, since the Mozilla team is aware of it, that they're hard at work on it.

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/questions/769313

Hopefully, it'll be resolved soon.

Cat

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I installed the latest FF beta, 4.0 Beta 11, on my notebook, and it looks as good as 3.6.13 does on it. However, it's a 2005 model notebook with XP Media Center as it's main OS.

Hopefully, that same good look will appear on modern computers soon.

Cat

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
In Good looks, I wonder who is going to be the ultimate winner

FireFox: FF.png or

IE: ie.png

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Your IE9 RC looks a lot different from mine, on my computer, the page goes to the top of the screen, that one bar at the top isn't there. But, you're using the Google screen, and I use MSN (w/Bing as the search engine). That may explain the difference.

Honestly, there's not that much difference on your screen, one way or the other, except that huge waste of empty space two thirds of the way across from the right side of the screen, looks like a big hole in it.

I've yet to download FF Beta 11 on my desktop, I'm in Mint right now, but I'll upgrade it tomorrow, and check it out. On my notebook, it looks as good as the other, but then again, it's a old notebook, so I can use it, with no downgrade in looks.

Cat

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
" except that huge waste of empty space two thirds of the way across from the right side of the screen, looks like a big hole in it"

That is adjustable - It is merely a drag feature.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
The latest update to FF Beta 4 (11) has made a fantastic improvement as far as the screen goes, and is now very clear and readable.

It kind of flinches (or flickers) some, but no big deal.

FF Beta 4.0 11 is now my default browser.

Cat

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I've been dabbling with IE9 and I'm beginning to really like it!

It's faster than Firefox and renders pages much better, great color depth too.

I am starting to think that Mozilla has been resting on their laurels a little too much and IE9 snuck in and showing them up now.

I don't like the FF betas because all the add-ons I like to use are disabled, and as they say here in the South: Well, that dog just won't hunt!"

Cat - you can right-click on the top bar in IE9 and select "Menu" and then you get as it looks in Dave's screen capture.

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I've been using both, I agree that IE has the jump on Firefox as far the development of their latest browsers. However, one must remember that Mozilla heavily depends upon volunteers to give us a decent product to use. They don't have six and seven figure earning top dogs sitting around the coffee table, walk around the plant/lab, then go for a round of golf.

Then lunch, and back to the course. Mozilla doesn't have that kind of cash to blow. The source code is open for anyone to improve, and make suggestions.

IE9 RC does look good, but when I was completing the download of my SP1 install discs, it was freezing like crazy. Just to verify that it was an IE issue, I started my last download on IE7 (on XP), it went fine, no freezing at all. This was an issue (w/IE9 Beta) a couple of months ago, only it was worse then.

So the both of them has a way to go to reach the top.

Cat

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
No arguments there. But Mozilla are not exactly down to their last penny.
The source code is not open for anyone to improve, only to suggest or comment upon. Suggestions still have to be channelled through the main operator and considered before even considered for incorporation..
I do think, without offence, that it is irrelevant that Microsoft employers are paid more (Are they? Mozilla do not have to pay taxes, by special arrangement - Microsoft pay through the nose)
Mozilla, as we know, are almost totally funded by google and partners such as the mighty "Amazon". They are far from boke, as can be seen from some of theirr handouts last year:

October 21, 2010: Renewing last year's support, Mozilla has offered $10,000 to GNOME to further its work on softwareaccessiblity.
August 30, 2010: Mozilla has offered $76,374 toNortheastern University to fund the PhD research of DimitriosVardoulakis.
August 30, 2010: OWASP has been offered a $5,000 sponsorship in unrestricted funds forgeneral support to their valuable open source project.
August 25, 2010: Mozilla received a report on the activities funded by oura $10,000 grant to Ushahidi in Chile. Ushahidi provides anopen source platform that enables citizen reporters to coordinate criticalinformation in times of crisis. This grant will helped Chileans and the Chileangovernment to have fast, reliable communication in the wake of the disastrousearthquake that hit on February 27, 2010.
But, I do not wish to attack Mozilla. Their products are great, I just, at this stage, prefer IE as a browser, as I have always used it without problems.
However, I do feel apprehension, as their contract with Google is coming closer to renewal. With Googles interests turning towards their own style of browser, perhaps they will not wish to finance what they will then see as the opposition?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Hopefully, Mozilla will continue to receive the necessary funding to conduct it's operations, and to continue to deliver it's users excellent product to use.

As far as donating goes, probably every major business/corporation donates to causes that they gain benefit from, whether we know it or not. The donation to Chile was a humanitarian one.

And as far as donating goes, no matter the people/business/corporation, it's good to give to worthy causes, and somewhere, someway, it won't be missed, and good things will await you. My wife & I gives 10% of our gross income each month, to a local food bank that goes directly for feeding the hungry, in the name of Jesus. We don't claim it as a tax write off, neither.

BTW, being that the two of us are disabled, we don't even have to file taxes, which is a blessing within itself.

Cat

Ask a Question