File manager that works in Windows 7

Reaction score
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone can recommend an alternative file management program to windows explorer that works with Windows 7.

Ones I've tried include..
1: xplorer2 - Shuts down whenever I try renaming files. Will usually rename the first couple and then shut down.
2: FreeCommander - Has the same problem as above but locks up and has to be shut down by using task manager. Also locks up when extracting zip files.
3: PowerDesk 7 - Shuts down whenever I right click on either the C or D drives. Not really sure if this is a bug or not because I can right click on every other item with no problems.

I just need a fairly simple manager with dual panes, a clean interface, is low on resource use and most of all is STABLE under windows 7.

Suggestions?

Cheers,
PKFFW

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
The dual pane option is available (kind of!) in Windows explorer.

Right clcik the folder menu on the right, at the point you wish to show as the base in the new window, and select "Open in New window"
Most of the third party (free) offers have, for the moment, various bugs, in particular instability.

Reaction score
Thanks clifford, will check it out.

Any others anyone can suggest might be worth a look?

Cheers,
PKFFW

Reaction score
Total Commander is by far the best.
I find it strange to even look at something other than that, especially since the last release handled all Unicode issues and windows 7 compatability.

Ask a Question