Everything suddenly in italics or bold

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have quite an annoying problem on my hand here. For no apparent reason my default font for programs, such as RealTemp, CPU-z, Firefox, you name it all of a sudden became italicised or bold. Here's a link to the pic I took showing my problem:

http://yfrog.com/1a94411345p

After looking around, somehow my 'Times New Roman Regular' ttf file in the C:\Windows\Fonts\Times New Roman folder was missing. I confirmed it was missing after asking a friend whether or not he has such a file in his system. So I asked him to send the TNR Regular ttf file, and copied it into my Times New Roman font directory.

Sure enough, I could use the regular version of the TNR font, for example in MS Word, but for some reason although all programs are set to Times New Roman, most by default, they still show the font in either bold or italic, and would not use the regular version.

On top of that, it also seems the font Arial is affected as well. As you can see in the image I've linked to, as I write this post I am using Arial and even though the italicization box is not selected, the font that is being produced is italic anyway. Does this mean there are several fonts whose regular versions have been smitten??

Any idea why the regular versions disappeared into thin air just like that? And why, although the regular version has been restored, that my programs are still using the italic and/or bold version of fonts? Can anyone please suggest a fix?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Oh, and yes, I am using Windows 7. Professional x64.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Open the Control panel - Fonts- Font settings, and "restore default font settings" It should be segeo ui

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the site :)

Can you try loading up the command prompt as an admin (search for cmd.exe on the start menu > right click > run as admin) and then run "SFC /scannow". That should repair and replace any missing fonts.

I'm guessing the theme personalisation settings aren't set to italics if you are getting the same font in text boxes?

Reaction score
Welcome to the site :)

Can you try loading up the command prompt as an admin (search for cmd.exe on the start menu > right click > run as admin) and then run "SFC /scannow". That should repair and replace any missing fonts.

I'm guessing the theme personalisation settings aren't set to italics if you are getting the same font in text boxes?
Tried the SFC command prompt as well to no avail. I'll be reformatting everything anyway, seems like it's the best thing to do right now. Want to upgrade from Pro to Ultimate! (for no apparent reason!)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Well a fresh install should definitely sort it ;) Hope it goes smoothly for you :)

Reaction score
This is particularly annoying problem that no solutions in this thread managed to fix

However - I managed to fix it myself without a restore

Here is how:

Browser to c:/windows/winsxs

Search the winsxs folder for the following files:

C:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-font-truetype-arial_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_ce7861d6c70c1a93

And

C:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-font-tru
etype-verdana_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_1a6e14c718deeae7

Copy all the files from these folders (Arial and Verdana fonts) into:

c:/windows/fonts

You will be prompted if you want to overwrite / install the fonts. Click yes.

Once installed the italic and bold issue should be no more.....

; )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question