Error Report

Reaction score
hi everyone..

when i turned on my laptop some ten minutes back, before the bios finished
loading, i got this shocki Error message

"02FC: Main Fan and second Fan Error !!" "Please turn off system and check both your fans!!"

Did my SYtem Crashed !!?? I am scared to ask this.. What Should I do NOW??
thankyou for All Your HELP..

(My System Manufacturer/Model Number GATEWAY MX 6926b)

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If the fans die then your computer overheats and can be ruined. Sounds like a fan test revealed a problem and told you to shut down your machine.

Since it warned you, the rest of the computer probably hasn't been damaged yet but you should get it fixed before you use it or you risk frying your laptop. If it is still under warranty then call Gateway. Otherwise you will likely need to pay to have the fans replaced.

Reaction score
If the fans die then your computer overheats and can be ruined. Sounds like a fan test revealed a problem and told you to shut down your machine.

Since it warned you, the rest of the computer probably hasn't been damaged yet but you should get it fixed before you use it or you risk frying your laptop. If it is still under warranty then call Gateway. Otherwise you will likely need to pay to have the fans replaced.
well.i am not under Gateway warranty right now ..the laptop is of 5 yrs old.

I hope nothing wont happen to the 5 HDD ( 40 GB each) as of now..Will I able to Back up those Data Now..??:(

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
One laptop with 5 harddrives? From the specs this holds 1 harddrive so the original 80 GB HD was likely replaced with a 200 GB HD and given 5 partitions.

The safest way to access your data is to remove the HD. See page 38 >>Here<< on how to remove the harddrive. Then you can use an external 2.5" IDE dock or case to connect it to a working computer.
HD-Dock.jpg HD-Case.jpg

I would not recommend powering up that laptop until the fans are repaired/replaced. In that guide on page 44 you can see where a fan is located under the keyboard.

Last edited:
Reaction score
One laptop with 5 harddrives? From the specs this holds 1 harddrive so the original 80 GB HD was likely replaced with a 200 GB HD and given 5 partitions.

The safest way to access your data is to remove the HD. See page 38 >>Here<< on how to remove the harddrive. Then you can use an external 2.5" IDE dock or case to connect it to a working computer.
View attachment 3228View attachment 3229

I would not recommend powering up that laptop until the fans are repaired/replaced. In that guide on page 44 you can see where a fan is located under the keyboard.
thankyou very much for providing the link :)
well.. i had partitoned it 2 years back. yeah i wont be powering it on unless the fan is repaired.

Searched for the mx6926b fan and got this link from ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/Gateway-MX6922B-MX6923B-MX6924J-MX6926B-Heatsink-Fan-/140415969643#vi-desc Is this the right one.?

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Note that the ad states the picture "may not match" the fan/heatsink combo you would be needing. So don't go exclusively by the product photo.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Is this the right one.?
It states that it is for your model but I don't know what else you would need as I have never tried to repair a laptop. I know in a desktop there would also be a contact gel applied between the heat sink and the CPU to improve conductivity and I would assume you would still need that for a laptop. In a desktop you would also need some sandpaper to smooth off the old gel but I would worry about trying this in a laptop as you do not want to sandpaper any nearby components.

Personally I always thought of laptops as dangerous to try to repair myself and I would have suggested a repair shop. But then again I have never seen such detailed instructions with pictures on how to open one up like those I found for your model.

At this point I think it is best I bow out of the conversation because I do not want to give you the wrong advice on the actual repair. But I do believe in the information I provided so far: 1. The laptop needs the fan(s) repaired/replaced and should not be used until it is fixed, 2. In the meantime you can remove the harddrive and use an external dock or case to read the information on it with another computer.

Reaction score
It states that it is for your model but I don't know what else you would need as I have never tried to repair a laptop. I know in a desktop there would also be a contact gel applied between the heat sink and the CPU to improve conductivity and I would assume you would still need that for a laptop. In a desktop you would also need some sandpaper to smooth off the old gel but I would worry about trying this in a laptop as you do not want to sandpaper any nearby components.

Personally I always thought of laptops as dangerous to try to repair myself and I would have suggested a repair shop. But then again I have never seen such detailed instructions with pictures on how to open one up like those I found for your model.

At this point I think it is best I bow out of the conversation because I do not want to give you the wrong advice on the actual repair. But I do believe in the information I provided so far: 1. The laptop needs the fan(s) repaired/replaced and should not be used until it is fixed, 2. In the meantime you can remove the harddrive and use an external dock or case to read the information on it with another computer.
Sorry for bei s late for the Reply !!! i was hospitalized for 8 months , but now i am fine ..
I am yet to repair the gateway laptop...

Ask a Question