Epson Scanner in Windows 7

Reaction score
Why did my Epson scan feature work prior to windows 7 but after a long time working with Epson techs and changing twains I find by reading these notes 0n this forum that this problem has been around ever since Windows 7 came on. My scan worked fine on previous versions of windows OK

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Drivers are different. They work similar to an interpreter. So if you think in those terms then Windows XP may speak American English and W7 32-bit speaks British English and W7 64-bit speaks Italian while your printer speaks Chinese. It is up to Epson to write an interpreter for each translation.

They already made their money from you for your old printer so for them to write drivers for old hardware only happens if it is in their best interest; ie if they weigh the amount of customer satisfaction for people still maintaining that old hardware verses the costs of providing such a driver and the potential sale of new equipment. Generally this is one extra OS generation, so if you had your computer with WinXP and skipped Vista then they may not provide functionality for W7 64-bit (FYI: a Vista 32-bit driver should actually work if you install W7 32-bit).

Not only that but the driver for printing is different than the driver for scanning so it is actually two drivers needed to get your device to function. And that is just the drivers to make it function; if they offered additional software with "Bells and Whistles" then that may also have to be rewritten to work on new a new bit-size, etc.

You didn't specify whether you have W7 32-bit or 64-bit and you didn't specify the model of Epson printer so we can't really tell you whether a driver exists or not.

Reaction score
Darrellsm

Thanks for the answer.I have a VAIO equipped with W7-64 bit.I worked with Epson Techs who had me remove the utility cleaner C:\Users\.Darrell\Documents\Epson 435\ESMUTLbin_v102_FC_100401_Signed.zip.
Then reboot and Reinstall the Epson scan using Epson scan utility v3.78 which apparently was posted on 9/27/11 and would reload the scan for 64 bit and etc.
After reading all the entries in the forum regarding this problem which has apparently existed since W7 I thought the above fix would do it. When I went back to the Epson techs I was advised that there was nothing more they could do.
One entry on the forum mentioned a fix by someone who charged 20 euros for the fix and it worked. I was unable to connect with this person.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If the scan driver loaded (does it show up in Control Panel > device Manager?) then you may have scan functionality but just not have the scan software. Try Windows Fax & Scan (type scan in the start ... search window) and see if you can scan using that software.

According to the Microsoft compatibility center the Epson Workforce 435 is compatible with both 32 and 64-bit. Is it only scanning that doesn't work, does it print correctly? And are you using it networked? Wireless?

Ask a Question