Epson Perfection scanner ocr not working

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a great old Epson 1260 that does everything I want but will not do an OCR on W7.
It works fine on my old XP computer.
Should I reinstall from the CD?
Any advice?
Thank you, Patti:)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
According to the compatibility center the Epson 1260 only works on a 32-bit system, so could you confirm you are using W7-32bit?

OCR would be software; all I can find on the Epson site is the drivers; so hopefully the OCR software is on your disc. According to a PDF I found there the disc should include "Epson Smart Panel with Newsoft OCR" (and it should also have another piece of software called Arcsoft PhotoImpression 4.0, which would be a photo editor or viewer - the compatibility center says version 6 is W7 compatible but no mention of 4.0)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hello, Thanks.
I use W7 Ultima 32 bit system. Scanner is Perfection 1260 Photo scanner. Model J121A, serial no. EMPU148U148120. Version 5.7E. The scanner works fine on W7 just not OCR.
I uplugged the USB from W7 and plugged into old computer running XP and OCR works fine so I scan there, put on a USB key and transfer to W7 - slow.

I don't know if run the software on W7 if it will mess me up as I had a lot of trouble finding a driver.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You should just be able to install the software "Epson Smart Panel with Newsoft OCR". It should be on the disc that came with the scanner. Do not install the drivers from the disc, just the software.

Reaction score
Ok, I reinstalled Smart Panel but it did not say "with Newsoft OCR". It did have OCR listed as one of the applications for Smart Panel. It works just as it did, scanner ok but no OCR.
Is it a lost cause?
Patti

Ask a Question