Email client for Windows 7

Reaction score
I understand Windows 7 doesn't have an email client with it. I have a Dell laptop with Vista and want to do a "clean" install, format the HD into 1 partition. I currently use Outlook Express, do I have to and how do I setup a email client?

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Judging by what is loaded on many PCs i have in Thunderbird is very popular !

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Both of the above are good recommendations for an email client.

I personally prefer to use the browser instead, it just seems more secure to me.

But, I may be wrong.

Reaction score
No, you're right. Using a web mail client is astronomically more secure than a desktop client, because any malicious code cannot be executed on the local computer.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Very true Thrax but a lot of youngsters want something that looks cool and in many cases security comes second .... like IncrediMail :rolleyes:

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Some people need offline access to their email, and some corporations don't provide a web interface to accessing their Exchange servers. I don't see any reason not to use an email client if that's what works for you.

Gmail does offer offline access, but that is not a common feature among webmail providers in general.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
In my work Ive come across many e mail and IM apps but not many what i would call bad infections, Its not so much the e mail client but how there used, (eg) if you subscribe to warez sites 10 to 1 you will get some iffy e mails.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I use Live mail as my desktop client.
It is odd, but on many sites, this kind of query often pops up. No one ever mentions the one I use for "outside" interests (Don't ask!) Microsoft Hotmail. So easy to setup and work with. It is also, if you wish, a couple of clicks and entries to incorporate in Live mail.

Reaction score
Thunderbird has been and will always continue to be my client of choice. The spam filters are some of the best I have ever found. You can import Outlook and Outlook Express email and settings (you can't export without 3rd party software) and Gmail accounts can be added quite easily. backing up and transferring to another computer is a snap. You just copy your AppData/Roaming/Thunderbird folder and after installing Thunderbird on another computer, run the spplication but don't add any email accounts. Then simply replace the new folder with your back up and you're in business.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
I use Live mail as my desktop client.
It is odd, but on many sites, this kind of query often pops up. No one ever mentions the one I use for "outside" interests (Don't ask!) Microsoft Hotmail. So easy to setup and work with. It is also, if you wish, a couple of clicks and entries to incorporate in Live mail.
I use Hotmail and have done for a few years with no problems :)

Ask a Question