DWA-547 freezes Professional 64bit

Reaction score
I just installed Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, and when it tries to connect to my wifi, the computer freezes and requires me to do a hard reset of the system.

I have a D-Link DWA-547 PCI card, and this seems to be the culprit. If I am quick I can disable the card before it starts to connect to the internet. Once it connects, the computer freezes.

I have tried several drivers for the card without luck including:

1.40b06
1.60(E)b12
The default drivers that Windows 7 installed (7.0.0.84 I think...)

They all freeze the computer.

Has anyone run into this before, and found a solution?

Reaction score
7 x64 DWA-547 fix

I had massive problems with DWA-547 and trying to connect to a Belkin wireless N router. I tried the standard Windows 7 (x64) driver, Atheros drivers (the chipset 547 uses), and the 8.0.0.162 driver from dlink.com.au but none of it was working.

Temporary fix
I then discovered that if I dropped the Belkin down to Wireless G only that I could connect, but these speeds weren't tops.

Solution
Get the 8.0.0.162 driver, change the router to wireless N and change the security type to WPA2. I also changed to dual channel and am now connected at 300Mbps. Windows 7 will report that settings have changed in the connect so you have to go into the properties and reenter the security information.
Tell me if this worked for you -skittles

Ask a Question