dvd drive not seen as dvd drive

Reaction score
The system has it as a cd drive, It worked the first night I installed it and a game but now it doesn't. Now it can't seen to read any disks.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
So your DVD drive can now only read CDs and not DVDs? Have you restarted the computer and it continues to do this?

Reaction score
Have you tried updating your drives firmware, this happened with me, the dvd drive only read cd, and came up only as a cd player, did a firmware update and now it reads and burns cds/dvds.
can you give us the model number and we could have a scout around for you.

Reaction score
It's an Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7220A. I had no problems with it at all testing 7 beta. This RC release seems very buggy. This is just one of about six problems I've noticed so far in just 2 days.

Reaction score
rico4295 have you installed any DVD writing software? - These software packages comes with DVD drivers and sometimes need to be updated depending on how new your DVD drive is.

Reaction score
No the system's pretty fresh. I've installed one game and a couple IM's.

Reaction score
No the system's pretty fresh. I've installed one game and a couple IM's.
Try installing DVD writing software to see if that helps and if not let us know the name of the software you tried - The more we know about the hardware and software you are using the better we can help you in your search for an answer!!:)

Even if you get it working please let us know what you found wrong - It may help someone else with a simular problem;)

Reaction score
I got the firmware and ran it but don't think it took so following their instructions to change modes to PIO I unchecked Enable DMA and automaticaly Win asked me if I wanted to let Autoplay run. Huh little suprised but happy :)
Hope this may help others dealing with this issue.

Ask a Question