Does XP mode require a password?

Reaction score
I finally had the chance to install XP Mode. After ten minutes I hit a brick wall. I can not stand passwords on everything. I always disable them every chance I get.

For some reason XP Mode would not even setup without entering a password. I went to user accounts and noticed a setting that allowed removing the password. After removing the password, I can no longer login to XP Mode. Leaving the password blank or entering the previous password does nothing.

From this point, is my only option downloading XP Mode again and starting over?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I had this similar problem the 1st time I installed XP Mode. The only way that I know of is to start over.

If you plan to have XP Mode, it probably would be good to store it (the exe file) on a flash drive, that way you'll have it for later use.

Cat

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Yes it requires a password but it remembers it & you don't normally need to enter it. In fact, SIW will show you what it is if you go to Software/Passwords ... so don't set it to anything you use on important things because anyone with access to your machine or finds your laptop or who manages to steal your data can easily see that one.

The default password is the same as the userid: XPMUser

Reaction score
Yes it requires a password but it remembers it & you don't normally need to enter it. In fact, SIW will show you what it is if you go to Software/Passwords ... so don't set it to anything you use on important things because anyone with access to your machine or finds your laptop or who manages to steal your data can easily see that one.
So what you are saying is that a password recovery program run in Windows 7 will see the password for XP Mode.

The default password is the same as the userid: XPMUser
I tried that one after you suggested it. Unfortunately it didn't work though.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
So what you are saying is that a password recovery program run in Windows 7 will see the password for XP Mode.
SIW isn't what I really think of as a password recovery program, primarily it just retrieves information from/about your computer hardware/software, but in this case it does see the Virtual PC - XP mode password, so I suspect it is maintained in the registry or a credentials pool somewhere.

If you are using a different Virtual engine, I do not know you will see the password like I do in W7 for Virtual PC - XP mode.

Last edited:

Ask a Question